PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Grayed Out

ajdevilchild
8th Apr 2006, 21:43
I Have the European full version of Tomb Raider Legends and my Next Gen Option is grayed out and its off, Im using a Radaeon x700 256 mb, I Dont know what the problem is i got patch 1.0

FrozenFire
8th Apr 2006, 21:45
Maybe your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 3.0? :rolleyes:

movieman
8th Apr 2006, 21:46
I believe 'next gen' is only supported on cards with SM3.0, which doesn't include the X700.

ajdevilchild
8th Apr 2006, 21:47
You think there would be a way to get around it cus im sure my graphic card could play next gen, it just doesent have the shader verson but it does have a shader.

FrozenFire
8th Apr 2006, 21:56
I discussed this in two other threads in the technical discussion forum already.

The next generation mode is a direct Xbox 360 port and can only be considered a bonus for the PC version that doesn't work on any of the current computer systems. Even if your card had Pixel Shader 3.0 support, it would lag like hell.

The reason for this is that the next generation mode wasn't optimised for PC hardware and would need graphic card driver updates first to basically "turn your PC into an Xbox 360 for the next gen mode of the game."

But don't let Nvidia or anyone else make you believe that you need a high end card for the content seen in next generation mode.
Actually, if they wanted to, they could optimise that mode so far that it runs on any card with Pixel Shader 1.1 support, namely a GeForce 3 or higher.
Bump mapping, volumetric lighting and pixel shaded water don't need Pixel Shader 3.0. All of these effects are used in games like Half-Life 2, Far Cry or Thief - Deadly Shadows as well and all of these games run on my GeForce 4 Ti with these effects enabled!

The only reason you need such a high end graphics card is that software developers don't take time to optimise games for PC hardware anymore.
So you need absolutely overdimensional cards to play the direct ports of the console graphics!

Core Fan
8th Apr 2006, 22:01
in other words you will need a 360 to fully "enjoy" the graphics
and the next gen feature in TR is to trick you for buying a new NVIDIA card...

Makes sense as there is a big fat NVIDIA icon if you start up the game

:thumbsup:

ajdevilchild
8th Apr 2006, 22:02
Thanks that explains it nicely.

R0CKY
8th Apr 2006, 22:08
in other words you will need a 360 to fully "enjoy" the graphics
:thumbsup:

I played the demo on 360 and PC before deciding which version to buy, and I chose PC. The 360 had some nice lighting effects, but on the other hand it seemed to be trying too hard sometimes, and was showing a flickering across some of Lara's textures as the 360 seemed to be struggling deciding which lighting effect to use.

It runs and looks great on a mid range PC, so while the greyed out next gen option is frustrating, you aren't missing out on much at all.

Jurjen
9th Apr 2006, 08:57
The graphic quality of the 360 being possible on a PS1.1 card is a bit of a stretch... That's basically what Xbox 1 had. And on such hardware you'll get Xbox 1 visuals.

hierogrammate
9th Apr 2006, 12:54
I Have the European full version of Tomb Raider Legends and my Next Gen Option is grayed out and its off, Im using a Radaeon x700 256 mb, I Dont know what the problem is i got patch 1.0

I don't know, but this thread in the tech forum might help:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=58042