PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Core Design?

mrcube
8th Apr 2006, 20:43
Ok, So if Eidos owns all the rights to Tomb Raider and everything about it then why is the copyright to Core, I mean if Core own the copyright then couldn't they sue Eidos and stuff like that. Doesn't this mean that Core still own TR? And I mean the whole title is owned by Core, 'Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Legend'

Whats going on there?

laraflames
8th Apr 2006, 20:48
Ok, So if Eidos owns all the rights to Tomb Raider and everything about it then why is the copyright to Core, I mean if Core own the copyright then couldn't they sue Eidos and stuff like that. Doesn't this mean that Core still own TR? And I mean the whole title is owned by Core, 'Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Legend'

Whats going on there?

if im not mistaken core ,eidos,and crystal dynamiocs all worked together to create tomb raider legend...and i guess it wouldnt matter whos the copyright cuz they all created it

mrcube
8th Apr 2006, 20:55
no that cant be right, cause CORE isn't mentioned anywhere else in/on Legend. They only seem to own the copyright. There not in the credits and there not on the box

Faye
8th Apr 2006, 21:14
The only way Core Design had anything to do with the making of Legend was because some of the employees left after Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Angel Of Darkness got such bad reviews. Some knew that they were on a sinking ship, others simply wanted to move to new work environments and try new things, like many employees do after completing a project. Some of these ex-employees were hired by Crystal Dynamics, because they were skilled and had experience with Lara Croft and Tomb Raider. That is the only way that Core Design had anything to do with the making of Legend, and even then it doesn't count, because it wasn't the company Core Design, it was just some people that used to work for them.

mrcube
8th Apr 2006, 21:17
yeah but that still doesn't solve why Core owns the copyright if Eidos own Tomb Raider and everything to do with it.

puffrr22
8th Apr 2006, 22:39
It doesn't matter about the copyright. Eidos owns Core Design, therefore they aslo own the properties. And there was only one person from Core to go over to Crystal Dynamics and that was the guy who originally created the character "Lara Croft". He only came on to assist with character modeling and such. Since Crystal is also part of Eidos, then Eidos had every right to take the franchise and move it over there.

laraflames
8th Apr 2006, 22:43
It doesn't matter about the copyright. Eidos owns Core Design, therefore they aslo own the properties. And there was only one person from Core to go over to Crystal Dynamics and that was the guy who originally created the character "Lara Croft". He only came on to assist with character modeling and such. Since Crystal is also part of Eidos, then Eidos had every right to take the franchise and move it over there.

hmm....:confused:

puffrr22
8th Apr 2006, 22:47
Sorry, I forgot to mention that Core Design had nothing to do with Legend. This game was givin to Crystal Dynamics because of how terribly AoD was. I think Eidos wanted some new blood working on the new title to give life back to it. I can't wait for the release!

laraflames
8th Apr 2006, 23:03
Sorry, I forgot to mention that Core Design had nothing to do with Legend. This game was givin to Crystal Dynamics because of how terribly AoD was. I think Eidos wanted some new blood working on the new title to give life back to it. I can't wait for the release!

ohhh ok thanx

Trinity34
8th Apr 2006, 23:28
yeah but that still doesn't solve why Core owns the copyright if Eidos own Tomb Raider and everything to do with it.

It has to do with the name. I think Core Design owns that but as far as the actual game that goes to Crystal. Even tho Eidos owns both that does not mean Eidos came up with the Tomb Raider name.

puffrr22
9th Apr 2006, 02:02
no the name was thought up; by an individual that also created the character who at the time worked for Core. He is now at Crystal. The bottom line is Crystal did this game from start to finish. That is all that matters. They have the best art houses on the west coast, Eidos couldn't have gone wrong with that choice.

laraflames
9th Apr 2006, 02:54
no the name was thought up; by an individual that also created the character who at the time worked for Core. He is now at Crystal. The bottom line is Crystal did this game from start to finish. That is all that matters. They have the best art houses on the west coast, Eidos couldn't have gone wrong with that choice.
no because the publishers stated''eidos and crystal dynamics will blah blah blah''

puffrr22
9th Apr 2006, 03:10
Whad did you mean by your last post? blah blah??? could you explain

Trinity34
9th Apr 2006, 12:49
no the name was thought up; by an individual that also created the character who at the time worked for Core.

Technically when you work for a company, all the trademarks and copyrights are owned by the company. The employee only gets his/her name on the paperwork and hopefully a raise. :)

Shehi
9th Apr 2006, 12:51
Guys, Core is subsidiary of Eidos, one of Eidos' developing groups. Having Copyright Core Design has nothing wrong with it. Those who left Core created Circle Studio and that is an independent entity. I guess Eidos guys just did not want to frustrate everyone especially fans who liked Core's style, so they kept the copyright line intact. Or maybe they did not see any need of changing patent ownership, after all its all Eidos.