PDA

View Full Version : What's the best gamepad to use

TRBeth
8th Apr 2006, 01:28
for this game? Since pc players will be crippled on a keyboard, I guess we'll have to get a pad.

Any preferences, some better than others? For those who are playing this game on a gamepad, please let us key-boarders know before next wk. :cool:

Notts Raider
8th Apr 2006, 01:29
for this game? Since players will be crippled on a keyboard, I guess I'll have to get a pad.

Any preferences, some better than others? For those who are playing this game on a gamepad, please let us key-boarders know before next wk. :cool:

I'm using a PSX Joypad

OuTR
8th Apr 2006, 01:37
I recommend a logitech rumblepad 2 forcefeed back. It has all the buttons you'll need. I use the default settings the demo maps out, takes a little getting use to but everything seems to work out. Theres a version without the rumble feature for 10 bucks less. Great pad though. Basically you're looking for a pad with 2 joysticks.

Trinity34
8th Apr 2006, 01:51
Yeah I only saw a regular Logitech and a Logitech Rumblepad. Depends if you want vibration or not. :D

RAZMAT
8th Apr 2006, 16:20
i just got a nyko gamepad with rumble.it has more than enough buttons(13) i think and dual analog.it comes with software that can map any keyboard keys to the controller also.even if you have a pc game that only has keyboard capability you can still map them to the controoler and play with it.

Notts Raider
8th Apr 2006, 16:29
Yeah I only saw a regular Logitech and a Logitech Rumblepad. Depends if you want vibration or not. :D

This pad gets abismal reviews

OuTR
8th Apr 2006, 20:05

Are you serious??? I've heard nothing but good reviews about this gamepad. Only negative ive heard is that it might be a bit too heavy for some people. I cant understand how it can be heavy unless you're 5yrs old or something. And being that I own one myself i've never had a problem with it. I love it. I have no complaints, it looks great, and vibrations are right on track.

hotrippr
8th Apr 2006, 20:08
Thats cause most of those people are just plain stupid.

Logitech Cordless Rumblepad2 is a great controller, I dont use any of the Software it came with like that wingman BS. I have the wireless version, works excellent for this and all my games.
Here is a thread how I have mapped it, some of the default mapping just plain sucks so I think my map is best...for demo at least.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=57994http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=57994

lllll
8th Apr 2006, 20:31

Hehe, nice joke :p

I have it and it is the best pad I have bought for the PC, and I have had a lot :thumbsup:

UrbanShark
8th Apr 2006, 21:43
I think the XBOX 360 Controller for Windows PC is good to use on this game as I have got one.

jules
8th Apr 2006, 23:19
My partner purchased a Cordless Rumblepad 2 for me.
I quite like it, but that is coming form someone who had never ever used a game pad in their life!!
I only got it because the game sux with the keyboard no walk.

dangerpaki
9th Apr 2006, 05:35
my vote goes to logitech cordless rumblepad 2 as well. great pad

hierogrammate
9th Apr 2006, 07:04
Just discovered this thread, but my thanks to all who contributed to it. It was the information I was looking for.

All I have to do now is decide between the Rumblepad and the Xbox controller for PC... :D

Fizzy243
9th Apr 2006, 08:58
The logitech rumble pad is on offer at pc world just now - £20 off the price - I know which one I'm going for ;)

Freddo
9th Apr 2006, 09:19
I'm using a PSX Joypad
So do I :)

Got a USB adapter so I can use Playstation joypads in my PC. Works very nice:cool:

NightRain'06
11th Apr 2006, 00:02
I've never bought a gamepad for any PC game mainly because I can play them using my keyboard and mouse. I even played Street Fighter Alpha 2 using the keyboard ! I was surprised as to how responsive it was. That's probably because the control scheme was simple. Hmm.

Back to my point. I was curious as to what gamepad was recommended for TR: Legend and it seems Logitech's RumblePad is liked by some of you. So, I think I'll get that. Plus, the layout is similar to PS2 controllers and that's good for me. :thumbsup:

legendtoday
11th Apr 2006, 14:47
I bought off e-bay the other day a 'PS - PC USB 2.0 Converter'. Just plug your PS2 controller in and it's all ready. Oh wait no... you have to press the analog button aswell and then you're ready ;) . I got mine for about £8.00. It doesn't come with a PS2 controller though.

TRBeth
12th Apr 2006, 10:58
NRNR, if you want to WALK in TRL, you need a gamepad. And Lara not walking is just plain retarded. I too have never used a pad and hate the fact that I must use it to play this game, but that is life in the 21st Century, I guess.

hotripper, I bought the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad2 and will try your configurations. Thanks!

galerie
12th Apr 2006, 11:44
NRNR, if you want to WALK in TRL, you need a gamepad. And Lara not walking is just plain retarded. I too have never used a pad and hate the fact that I must use it to play this game, but that is life in the 21st Century, I guess.

hotripper, I bought the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad2 and will try your configurations. Thanks!

Hotripper, can you post your gamepad config???

carlo
12th Apr 2006, 12:13

To be honest theres not that much point in walking in legend really! I only used walk in the old ones when i was close to a ledge as u wouldnt fall off but this wont happen in TRL unless your really running at a ledge

TRBeth
12th Apr 2006, 16:53
Hotripper, can you post your gamepad config???

He linked it up above in his post. Just follow the link.

TRBeth
12th Apr 2006, 16:54
To be honest theres not that much point in walking in legend really! I only used walk in the old ones when i was close to a ledge as u wouldnt fall off but this wont happen in TRL unless your really running at a ledge

carlo, are you an original TR player? "The Walk" is everything in this game. ;)

carlo
12th Apr 2006, 18:43
carlo, are you an original TR player? "The Walk" is everything in this game. ;)

Yes ive been a fan since 97 (was too young to understand it in 96!) and i kno the walk was VERY important in the older games but it really is not needed in Legend!

NecroFeline
12th Apr 2006, 21:27
I'm a PSer so I think a pad like the PS would be good, my other-half is a PCer and would swear by his logitech (don't ask what type, I have no clue :confused: ).
:D

the_sas_man
12th Apr 2006, 23:36
just use a PS2 pad. They are the best out there!

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=stts7&page=title&r=PC&title=114167

7 quid for the convertor- Works no problems for me!

NightRain'06
13th Apr 2006, 01:24

You do have a point. I've also noticed in the Legend demo, when Lara almost ended up falling off the ledge by me attempting to have her run off of it, she immediately grabbed onto it and held on just like in another game that I can't recall right now.

I've also had a lot of practice from previous TR games regarding jumping distances so I think I'm pretty accurate in judging leaping distances and trying my luck making it to the other side in Legend. All I need to do is time my running jumps perfectly. :D

So maybe I'll just save my money and not buy a gamepad since it does seem now that I don't need it for this game.

Also, in the previous games, after jumping, I think the Action button needed to be pressed in order for her to grab onto the ledge. But in Legend demo, I've also noticed they simplified this so that she'd automatically grab the other ledge after the jump from the ledge where she stood so that we don't necessarily have to manually press that Action button. I wish they didn't do that though. I actually liked that small challenge of me pressing the key to have Lara grab the ledge. Sorry for going off track in this last paragraph.

iamfrank
14th Apr 2006, 13:17
I have the regular logitech gamepad and it works great except for one thing I couldn't figure out. Anyone have trouble getting the right analog stick to control the camera movements? I checked the in game settings and can't figure it out. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem so i know if its by design or just something my dummass needs to figure out.

Fizzy243
14th Apr 2006, 17:08
I have the regular logitech gamepad and it works great except for one thing I couldn't figure out. Anyone have trouble getting the right analog stick to control the camera movements? I checked the in game settings and can't figure it out. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem so i know if its by design or just something my dummass needs to figure out.

I treated myself to the logitech rumble II and although it took me a little time to get to grips with the new controls I find it great! I also had problems with the camera. While in the game I went into the camera controls and found that the gamepad was disabled.

Options - Camera - Gamepad Axes then set to Z axis & Z Rotation. Mine works fine now.

Hope this helps

Giolon
14th Apr 2006, 17:08
I use my Xbox 360 Controller on my PC and it works great. The controls match to the console version perfectly.

eel337
14th Apr 2006, 23:52
saitek rumble force. used the default profile on the joystick with only one edit. i turned the smart button into a control rather than shift key. works grrrreat! costs the same as the logitech, but works much better. i have both

TRBeth
15th Apr 2006, 00:01
Ok, I got the cordless rumblebad 2 Log. How in the world do you do the swan dive??

critter0107
21st Apr 2006, 14:28
Hi I'm currently using a Logitech Rumblepad 2 and it works fine but I'm a diehard keyboard/mouse player on the pc and am pretty unfamiliar with gamepad paly and was wondering if the XBox controller or PlayStation controller offer any advantage over the Logitech. Like maybe a more precise analog response?

Also, I"ve played on a Playstation once or twice and noticed the controller has pressure sensitive buttons (cool). Do these function when used with a pc?

Thanks!

Silent Shark
21st Apr 2006, 14:36
Another vote for the Logitech Cordless Rumble 2.

Bought it a few days ago, to replace a Saitek P2500 that had worn out through use, and I like it.

Ergonomically it is a bit strange, quite chunky but once you settle your hands on it, the freedom the wireless provides is excellent.

My other recommendation would be a Saitek P880/2500/3000 (non-rumble/rumble/wireless), as I've used one for years, and it was great.

storm shadow
23rd Apr 2006, 19:06
Hehe, nice joke :p

I have it and it is the best pad I have bought for the PC, and I have had a lot :thumbsup:
I didn't read bad reviews for the rumblepad only alot for the Dual action controller from logitech

TRBeth
23rd Apr 2006, 19:19
I'm not sure that it has been mentioned here, but let me say this. I did get the rumblepad cordless and it works fine, but I believe the game is set up to actually work with a PC version of PS2 controller. Anyone, if I am mistaken, feel free to correct me.

And, the difference is, that if you need the visual reference to setup the controller in the options menu, I believe it is following PS2.

petfrog
27th Apr 2006, 12:56
I use a PC Line gamepad from Maplins, and it's very good. Cheap too.

TJSimulation
28th Apr 2006, 19:23
I'm using a 360 controller, and since it's pretty comfotable and is officially supported, I'd recommend it (but it all comes down to your opinion and personal taste). :)

JANKERSON
30th Apr 2006, 11:26
Since pc players will be crippled on a keyboard,

Crippled?

I had no problems beating Legend using the keyboard and mouse. ;)

JANKERSON
30th Apr 2006, 11:33
NRNR, if you want to WALK in TRL, you need a gamepad. And Lara not walking is just plain retarded.

The only reason that Lara had to walk in the Older games was because of the Grid and she would fall off the ledges so you had to walk her to a point on the grid for the jumps etc. Legend is different, no Grid so just time your jumps by jumping at or near the edge, she will make the jump.

It really makes gameplay more fluid by not having to stop, adjust on every jump.

Jurjen
30th Apr 2006, 11:45
To not fall of edges you can also just press 'shift' and move around. This will make you sneak, which also stops you from falling.

JANKERSON
30th Apr 2006, 11:57
To not fall of edges you can also just press 'shift' and move around. This will make you sneak, which also stops you from falling.

The Shift key was the walk key in the older games. :)

JunoJIm
6th May 2006, 17:10
How do you Map your gamepad ???

Or do you have to take what they have... ???:rolleyes:

TJSimulation
6th May 2006, 17:18
If by "Take what they have," you mean use the default configs only, no. You can change the settings, but to do so you have to use the mouse to double click on the option, and then press the button on the gamepad you want to associate the action with.

Peachie
11th May 2006, 14:31
Could someone please post their configurations for their Xbox 360 gamepad?

darkfader
11th May 2006, 20:12
I use the Xbox 1 controller together with XBCD. Try out my config and tell if it works. Just load the .reg file into registry.