PDA

View Full Version : Workshop: Next Gen Content

FrozenFire
5th Apr 2006, 21:24
Tomb Raider Legends Next Generation mode requires Pixel Shader 3.0.
Many of the effects like bump mapping, pixel shaded water or volumetric light and shadow effects, however, could theoretically work on any graphics card above GeForce 3 level.

I doubt we will get the developer to help us on this matter, but if we take a look at the game files and especially the registry entries, we might be able to turn individual graphic effects on and off that would otherwise be in Next Generation mode only.

So users with older cards would be able to turn on an effect or two while users with faster cards could turn off the effects that cause their Next Gen mode to run slowly.

The game files themselves are hard to mess with, but the registry settings might allow some tweaking.

If you open the registry (by going to Start > Run > regedit) and head to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Crystal Dynamics > Tomb Raider: Legend > Graphics you can see a lot of entries about certain effects and the use of Pixel Shaders.
Attention: Before you change anything, make a backup of this registry folder by saying File > Export!
The values from 1 and 0 usually mean 'Yes' and 'No' or stand for a level of detail.

Editing the value EnableDepthOfField from 1 to 0 for example would turn depth of field off.

I don't know yet whether some of these settings are related to the Next Gen content, but there is another possible workaround.

I'm thinking that the AdapterIdentifier registry entry there tells the game which graphic card you have. If a user with a really high end card could post his identifier, we could see if the Next Gen mode can be enabled by making the game believe a low-end card is high-end.

Of course I don't guarantee that any of this registry tweaking will work (it might get you graphical errors - in which case you should delete the entries you changed and renew them by double-clicking your saved registry export). I just think it might be interesting for the tech insiders among you.

So if you want to try it, you're welcome to do so - but only mess with the registry if you are a experienced user and know how to make your changes undone.

If I get results, I will of course post them here.
Let's create! :)

Trinity34
6th Apr 2006, 00:21
Thanks FrozenFire. :)

FrozenFire
8th Apr 2006, 21:12
Well, don't thank me, because as it seems the Next Generation mode can't be enabled by tweaking the registry. I tried everything and only got crashes.

The Next Generation mode is hardcoded, meaning it can't be modified or partly enabled or disabled. :(

R1c4n
8th Apr 2006, 22:01
Have you tried getting the 1.1 patch? It helps out with nextgen issues slightly, but until nVidia/ATI release newer drivers specifically to enhance nextgen, it still won't be as good, but its slightly more playable with the patch.

on1yalad
3rd May 2006, 05:43
Tomb Raider Legends Next Generation mode requires Pixel Shader 3.0.
Many of the effects like bump mapping, pixel shaded water or volumetric light and shadow effects, however, could theoretically work on any graphics card above GeForce 3 level.

I doubt we will get the developer to help us on this matter, but if we take a look at the game files and especially the registry entries, we might be able to turn individual graphic effects on and off that would otherwise be in Next Generation mode only.

So users with older cards would be able to turn on an effect or two while users with faster cards could turn off the effects that cause their Next Gen mode to run slowly.

The game files themselves are hard to mess with, but the registry settings might allow some tweaking.

If you open the registry (by going to Start > Run > regedit) and head to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Crystal Dynamics > Tomb Raider: Legend > Graphics you can see a lot of entries about certain effects and the use of Pixel Shaders.
Attention: Before you change anything, make a backup of this registry folder by saying File > Export!
The values from 1 and 0 usually mean 'Yes' and 'No' or stand for a level of detail.

Editing the value EnableDepthOfField from 1 to 0 for example would turn depth of field off.

I don't know yet whether some of these settings are related to the Next Gen content, but there is another possible workaround.

I'm thinking that the AdapterIdentifier registry entry there tells the game which graphic card you have. If a user with a really high end card could post his identifier, we could see if the Next Gen mode can be enabled by making the game believe a low-end card is high-end.

Of course I don't guarantee that any of this registry tweaking will work (it might get you graphical errors - in which case you should delete the entries you changed and renew them by double-clicking your saved registry export). I just think it might be interesting for the tech insiders among you.

So if you want to try it, you're welcome to do so - but only mess with the registry if you are a experienced user and know how to make your changes undone.

If I get results, I will of course post them here.
Let's create! :)

umm nextgen is turned on by "useshader20" set it to 1 that turns on Nextgen

Montresor
4th May 2006, 04:51
Ya, I can turn next gen on, go into the registry, turn 3.0 off and next gen is still enabled in the menu options.

*shrug*

RyuSuke
4th May 2006, 05:39
Ya, I can turn next gen on, go into the registry, turn 3.0 off and next gen is still enabled in the menu options.

*shrug*
Don't Turn OFF the SD3.0 IF u turn next gen on...A lot of reffection will turn off...E.g. Water Refection.......
And THe bugs in Some Level can't fix in Tweak Reg..