PDA

View Full Version : TRL review

Lgn8412
5th Apr 2006, 17:03
hey everyone, I'm a somewhat fan of tombraider since TRIII came out... I'm gonna make a review of the not so very anticipated Tomb Raider Legend (and I'm saying this because TRAOD didn't excite us very much, at least not me)

When we thought that the "spelunking" bussiness Eidos was dead, Crystal Dynamics brought it back to life, that should be the starting argument that every single person should have, since AOD brought a gameplay that was focused more in solving puzzles than really showing off abilities, we could point out from that statement that AOD and Legend are as different as like heaven from hell... I don't know about you, but what I liked most about TR games was to get those guns shooting and running like hell and making use of Lara's abilities, the puzzle part was secondary to me, of course to make it challenging you have to add up a little difficulty, but since fans have been put to pull levers and push walls in the first 3 TR... guess that shooting and running and jumping all around was all we enjoyed, (and of course to see Lara in her many outfits :D )

But after 4 or 6 games of the same old same old (including expansion packs), we fans demanded more graphics, and more abilities, a dream that was going to be with us in every one of our nights until this game came out... Crystal focused (on the graphical side) mainly on Lara, she even looks spectacular on a 640x480 resolution (thats me sorry :o ), the ruin sites look great, textures, mountains everything is wonderful.

The gameplay "plays" a lot with the camera which is handled by the mouse... which can be confusing at times because you don't step back with the downarrow key as you currently did in the other TR games, the movement depends a lot on the position the camera has, it can be a little tricky and sometimes having a free camera can be frustrating if the game it's polished... in this case are few moments when the camera goes nuts... Another thing that I forgot, and it's veeeery important, we know have a Spider-Lara-incredibly-adept-in-every-acrobatic-move-that-you-can-imagine female persona, and daddy likes it :D

The game sound is good, but I was going for a little orchestra soundtrack, but they tried that with AOD, I guess it was time to change, I would've liked it if the game had a similar soundtrack as AOD had :(

The AI doesn't promise a lot I guess (I've played the demo like 6 times now) and fighting against 5 or 6 guys doesn't seem that hard, specially if Lara knows how to kick some serious arse :) , the only thing I noticed it's that if you get to close to a baddy, it kicks you or punches you into the ground...

In general I would give the game a 9 out of 10, I'm hearing that the game is kinda short, that's why I'm not giving the 10... I hope that soon they release an expansion :cool: ... my friends, Lara's Back... for sure!!, and we are the mortals that will enjoy this inmortal hero of our hearts...

lllll
5th Apr 2006, 17:12
since fans have been put to pull levers and push walls in the first 3 TR... guess that shooting and running and jumping all around was all we enjoyed,

To me, TR was never about shooting while running around like a madman. It was about exploring huge mysterious places for hours and hours and having a moment of silence in between a few encounters with animals and strange creatures, rarely seeing a human :thumbsup:

Mangar The Dark
5th Apr 2006, 17:13
I don't know about you, but what I liked most about TR games was to get those guns shooting and running like hell and making use of Lara's abilities, the puzzle part was secondary to me, of course to make it challenging you have to add up a little difficulty, but since fans have been put to pull levers and push walls in the first 3 TR... guess that shooting and running and jumping all around was all we enjoyed, (and of course to see Lara in her many outfits :D )

Huh... I feel pretty much completely opposite about it. For me, the puzzles and exploration are more important than the shooting, and the outfits are completely unimportant. In TR1 and 4, she never changed outfits, and I don't think it hurt the games at all (in fact, those were the best in the series.) Also, both of those games emphasized puzzles and exploration more than shooting.