PDA

View Full Version : Next gen is unplayable, why?

shabby
5th Apr 2006, 02:23
I've been reading a lot of forums and everyone is complaining that as soon as they turn on next gen content the game is unplayable.
With my 7900gt i get anywhere from 0 to 25fps, the second i turn it off it jumps to a 100fps.
Even people with 7900gtx/x1900xtx cards say that the performance is not good and unplayable.

Is crystal dynamics/eidos going to release a patch that fixes this, or is "next gen" content simply badly coded?

Dojomann
5th Apr 2006, 02:58
let's hope that they come out with a patch. This is not the fault of our video cards, it is bad programming. Although, I did hear something bout nvidia releasing a driver update for this.

Alexlovesguns
5th Apr 2006, 03:03
Next gen will need to become current gen for your game to run smooth;) .
Next gen should be the new DX10 graphics cards that will come next year after vista, people are wasting money now, especially those who moved from GF6 to 7 series and invested in SLI. There arent enough quality PC games to justify the investment imo...
The forum has become flooded with Italian people or something:confused: .

Inserity
5th Apr 2006, 03:07
Ok here's what I got from all of this (I don't have the full game):

Legend likes 512MB video cards @ high settings. Next generation will use the videoram to store the heavy textures on for the fastest access. So even if you have a 7900GT (which is a very good card) it needs to have 512MB to get the full effect of "Next Gen". Also (from Jospeh @TRF):

Both Nvidia and ATI need to update their drivers for this game in next gen. It is mentioned that NVidia will come with an update soon.
This will probably be very necessary.

I have not played full version (not here yet) so I haven't experienced it. So you'll need a 7800/7900 GTX 512MB or a ATI X1800/X1900 512MB to use "Next Gen" fully. Hope that helped :D

Denny33142
5th Apr 2006, 03:32
might as well just buy an xbox360

Inserity
5th Apr 2006, 03:37
Yeah but all this upgrading will be for other games in the future. Plus, some people might not like Next Gen. I don't like Lara Next Gen but the rest looks awesome. But I'm not gonna sweat it. lol.

shabby
5th Apr 2006, 11:46
Ok here's what I got from all of this (I don't have the full game):

Legend likes 512MB video cards @ high settings. Next generation will use the videoram to store the heavy textures on for the fastest access. So even if you have a 7900GT (which is a very good card) it needs to have 512MB to get the full effect of "Next Gen". Also (from Jospeh @TRF):

This will probably be very necessary.

I have not played full version (not here yet) so I haven't experienced it. So you'll need a 7800/7900 GTX 512MB or a ATI X1800/X1900 512MB to use "Next Gen" fully. Hope that helped :D

No that did not help, because you didnt read my post. Even people with 512meg cards in sli/crossfire are getting poor performance just like with my 256meg card. More on board memory doesnt help in this case.

You couldnt be further from the truth, its almost like the pc version is crippled on purpose to run slow.

jaywalker2309
5th Apr 2006, 12:00
Game is released on Friday in Europe and next week in the US, by that time the issue should hopefully be resolved.

The Don
5th Apr 2006, 12:42
This is all Bullsht! Please stop spreading that big fat lie you would need a "next generation" graphics cars!
The only thing needed is a code update, and probably a big one...

A few things to consider:
If you enable Nex-Gen Content, the game wil use different models(at least for lara), different textures and probably different levels, all with more details.
Of course, this but mainly other things, like lightning and soft shadows eat up a good amount of performance.

BUT:

Take Lara out of the scene and there are less polygons left than an common npc in Oblivion has..
Most things are still using as few polygons as possible, and dont look very up to date except for blur and bump map effects and some more details.
Now tell me, do these already old techniques(Farcry had it years ago) need much performance with current cards? NO, it fcking does not!
Just compare it to Oblivion, which has all of these effects just in way larger and more detailed levels...and runs fine though.

Then, do you notice a big change when playing in 640x480 and 1600x1200? No, you wont, because the problem is not your video card and not its driver!
Does the menu look very detailed? No...strange ...not even there it is possible to get some decent fps.

Also, why are there no settings to enable only bump maps for example? Why do i have to enable one big option to enable ten other features, if i just can't stand the ugly textures of most level objects?
Either someone was to lazy to fix problems which came up with this, or anotherone simply did not want people to use the highest quality possible!

This game is simply fcked up and one should not fcking buy it until they fit it and you can use what you bought (and hell no, nameing an option "NexGen Content" does not justify anything)!

It would have been better if they removed their faked show-off graphics mode from the pc retail, and would have used it only for presentations/screenshots...but they rather try to sell it.

FrozenFire
5th Apr 2006, 13:14
Also, why are there no settings to enable only bump maps for example? Why do i have to enable one big option to enable ten other features, if i just can't stand the ugly textures of most level objects?
Either someone was to lazy to fix problems which came up with this, or anotherone simply did not want people to use the highest quality possible!

I agree that it would've been nice to add an option that lets you enable the next gen effects individually and not only all at once.
The reason for the way it was done is - in my opinion - that next gen mode is a direct equivalent to the Xbox 360 version of the game. So it saved the developer a lot of time and trouble to just say 'Next gen is a specific mode you either use or not. It requires Pixel Shader 3.0 and high end graphic cards.'
If you look at it from this view, Next gen is more like a bonus for the pc version since it was never optimised for pc hardware - sad but true - Next gen mode is a rushed Xbox 360 port. That's why it runs so bad and that's why we aren't allowed to tweak settings.

This game is simply fcked up and one should not fcking buy it until they fit it and you can use what you bought (and hell no, nameing an option "NexGen Content" does not justify anything)!

I wouldn't go that far. Legend is still a very good game and PS2 owners don't get Next gen mode either.
The only reason you can be pissed off is that the developer didn't take the time to adapt the game to pc hardware and for that reason doesn't take advantage of the real power of a pc system.
But tell me a single modern multi-platform game that is different!?

I am sad about the bad pc port too, but the game is still good enough to buy I think since my pc couldn't handle much of the special effects anyways (even if it was coded better and allowed for detailed settings).

dhama
5th Apr 2006, 15:07
This game is simply fcked up and one should not fcking buy it until they fit it and you can use what you bought (and hell no, nameing an option "NexGen Content" does not justify anything)!.

It's a known fact that no software is ever finished and entirely free of bugs, this would only be possible after a release and report of bugs from different PC systems. Even then it's not always possible to fix everything as there is no way any software company is going to release a patch because my version of Thief 3 doesn't work on my PC.... ahm! LOL I guess you can't always hide the way you feel. :rolleyes:

I'm still going to buy it (when I can afford it) and wether it works 100% or not, there is still a place for it on my shelf with all the other TR incarnations. I guess i'm just stoopid! :p

Zeeblade
6th Apr 2006, 00:18
1st let me say, please if you cant spell the real four letter words (and I dont mean "cars=cards?") then DONT! Did you get the word PLEASE?

Anyway I do believe its the game. It just needs a patch. WOW I said that with out any 4 letter words OMG!.. sorry for being a smartass :))

Trinity34
6th Apr 2006, 00:29
Let me guess... the best way to know if the "Next Gen" mode will work is to try it out on your system. Good thing we have a patch coming that will allow us to do that. :)

jdawg224
6th Apr 2006, 02:25
I am also getting poor performance. I have a geforce 7800gtx, 320 GB hard drive, 2 GB ram, sound blaster audigy 2 gamer, AMD64 4000+. The game runs like trash even on 1024 x 768 resolution with next gen enabled. It hiccups constantly and the graphics are slow, like less than 50 frames per second. this is just not right. as soon as i turn it off, the graphics run perfectly smooth even on 1600 x 1200 resolution.

Also, when next gen is off, you can see water on Lara's skin when she comes out of a pool. Also in the first puzzle with the dark room with the 3 boxes, the water is dark and murky looking. With next gen mode, i dont see the water on lara's skin and the water in the room looks bright and blue. Whats up with that? the water graphics are messed up.

Zeeblade
6th Apr 2006, 03:13
hey if its to slow try this.
Now if you can enable Next Gen but its just way to slow at times try this. Go to

"[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Tomb Raider: Legend\Graphics]"

In your Regedit file and at the bottom you should see "UseShader30" now just click twice on it and change the "value data" form 1 to a 0. Ok whats the worst that can happen? The game wont run. Ok now start the game. Now if it does you should see a great deal of speed increased or just no stop and go like I had. There are some things that wont be as shiny but Next Gen is on and looks better.
I tried to post this as a new thread but it would not let me.. anyway