PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen setting IS better then normal...screenshots

roof1975
5th Apr 2006, 00:20
For those that think the current generation looks better, should take a better look. It's not even the same game with them turned on! lol
But yes it still stutters, even for me. That sucks. Here are some pics I took.

My PC:
Athlon X2 4400 Dual Core 2.2Ghz, 1MB L2 Cache per core
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
2GB Corsair XMS PC3500 (DDR437) RAM with LED activity lights
Enermax 500W, SLI ready Power Supply
2 BFG Nvidia 7800 GTX OC, in SLI
Sound Blaster X-Fi Sound Card
Zalman CNPS-9500 CPU Cooler
Zalman HDD Coolers/Sound Dampeners
Enermax Fan Controller
2 Maxtor 250GB SATA2 with 16MB buffer (500GB total)
Samsung 19inch monitor, 12ms response time
Logitech Z5300, THX certified, 5.1 surround speakers
Logitech LX700 Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
3D mark 06 max achieved score – 8303

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/rouffer1975/TRCompare1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/rouffer1975/TRCompare2.jpg

BloodRayne
5th Apr 2006, 00:27
I do agree with you that the next gen setting looks amzing and much better.

but its all about personal preference. sum ppl prolly like the current gen settings

and i agree they do look like 2 diff games. i just think she looks more human on nxt gen and more cartoony on current gen.

Treeble
5th Apr 2006, 01:33
Is it just me or there's no 'current gen' grass on the floor? I thought it would have a few hundreds of additional polys, but I didn't think it would get to the scale of having next-gen-only statics :eek:

Notts Raider
5th Apr 2006, 01:48
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/2143/normal4jo.jpg

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1782/nextgen6qo.jpg

Dojomann
5th Apr 2006, 01:53
There's some bugs with next gen tho. First of all, the amount of refraction in the water in next gen mode is MUCH too little (as in the stuff under the water isn't distorted enough, not realistic), there's barely any. Also, have you noticed that w/ next gen mode, lara doesn't get wet after getting in water, nor dirty after rolling around?

Besides the little bugs, there seems to be a large bug. When next gen mode is on, I get ridiculous studdering. After running around the level tho, the studdering goes away, because the level is actually cached in my memory. Now, I suppose that when next gen mode is off, loading times don't need to be long and only a small part needs to be pre-loaded; but with next gen mode on, there is tons more data to be loaded and I believe it should be pre-loaded at the loading screen. I'd rather have a longer loading screen time than studdering.

Also, there seems to be some performance issues with post processing effects, and in next gen mode it just crushes the FPS. I also believe that far away textures could use some LOD, meaning lower res textures pop up in their place, and I don't see this happening in the current version. I believe that this would greatly improve FPS.

Core Fan
5th Apr 2006, 01:57
next gen is not available for the Radeon 9200 with 256mb? .. cause I cant select it :(

roof1975
5th Apr 2006, 02:11
Nice shots NOTTS RAIDER.
Good comparison shot.

R1c4n
5th Apr 2006, 02:12
next gen is not available for the Radeon 9200 with 256mb? .. cause I cant select it :(

LOL your card is like last generation :|

Hrrm but yeah, you need a nVidia 6600 and higher or an ATI x1600 or higher I believe.

roof1975
5th Apr 2006, 02:14
Is it just me or there's no 'current gen' grass on the floor? I thought it would have a few hundreds of additional polys, but I didn't think it would get to the scale of having next-gen-only statics :eek:

Yes, like most of the grass and foliage is not there! Turn it on and there is all kinds of stuff going on, vines and moss on the walls, better lighting etc.

Inserity
5th Apr 2006, 03:21
For next gen to run with playable fps you will need a 7800/7900 GTX with 512MB or an ATI X1800/X1900 512MB. Next gen likes 512mb because it uses its RAM a lot. You can select it with any card (I think) but right now the demo does not have that option. These pictures are from people who have the game (most likely from italy), so they have that option. There is an update for the demo coming out later that will have Next Gen.

Dojomann, what card do you have?

Jurjen
5th Apr 2006, 08:40
The stuttering in NextGen will be fixed by an Nvidia driver update.

CatSuit&Ponytail
5th Apr 2006, 09:10
Those are amazing differences and excellent comparisons, guys! :thumbsup:

Now TR looks like the Oblivion I just loaded up. :D I can't wait for my new graphic card!!!! :D And TR for Pc, of course.... :o

Bueller? Bueller?

meznu
5th Apr 2006, 09:34
For consoles, current gen = PS2 & XBOX / next gen = XBOX 360. Is this correct? Also, does anyone know if a PS3 version has been confirmed? If there is, it will naturally be next gen, right? Sorry if these are stupid questions. I'm not a technical person. Next gen looks SO good - different game good - but I'm a Sony slave. :D

One more possible NON-STORY spoiler question below for all those people who somehow miraculously already have the game:

I read somewhere (& now can't find the article) that in the XBOX & 360 versions you can upload your own music to play on the stereo in the Manor, but not in the PS2 version, even with the hard drive. Is this true?

meznu
5th Apr 2006, 09:38
Thanks for the topic, roof1975!;) :thumbsup: I had no idea how big a difference this was until I saw the screenshots here. Your shots are great, too, Notts Raider! Anyone who can & enjoys it, keep the comparisons coming.:) :thumbsup: They're very helpful.

FrozenFire
5th Apr 2006, 09:54
In my opinion the next generation mode as it is now was a really bad idea.

I mean, why can't we enable and disable the graphic effects like in other games? That way some of us could at least enable more foliage if the rest of next gen effects causes too much of a slowdown.

I hope some fans who are good at coding find out how to enable certain effects individually.

lllll
5th Apr 2006, 11:49
Background looks definitely better with Next Gen, however Lara looks like crap with it....look at that strange mutant skin on her :eek: and her face looks like worn plastic with too much stretching during a cosmetical operation.

David 070
5th Apr 2006, 12:50
what is 'next generation'????:confused:

carlo
5th Apr 2006, 12:56
what is 'next generation'????:confused:

The generation after the current one :p

lhaymehr
5th Apr 2006, 13:04
IMHO, nothing beats some sharp textures and a few well placed special effects. I actually like the non-nextgen appearance of TR (and many other games for that matter). Much of the games utilizing these next-gen features make the enviroments look rather over done. Everything looks like it's wet, shadows look too dark and so on. I've yet to see a DirectX based engine that looks better than Carmacks Doom3 engine. ;) Did you see the screenshots for "Enemy Territory Quake Wars"? Look it up if you don't know wht i'm talking about ;) . And i can count on the fingers of one hand the features used in rendering those images. Yet, it runs twice as fast than any of the engines which primarily utilize shaders.

Nad
5th Apr 2006, 13:07
How do u turn on that next-gen thingy ?? Or however you do it ...

hotrippr
5th Apr 2006, 17:12
IMHO, nothing beats some sharp textures and a few well placed special effects. I actually like the non-nextgen appearance of TR (and many other games for that matter). Much of the games utilizing these next-gen features make the enviroments look rather over done. Everything looks like it's wet, shadows look too dark and so on. I've yet to see a DirectX based engine that looks better than Carmacks Doom3 engine. ;) Did you see the screenshots for "Enemy Territory Quake Wars"? Look it up if you don't know wht i'm talking about ;) . And i can count on the fingers of one hand the features used in rendering those images. Yet, it runs twice as fast than any of the engines which primarily utilize shaders.
OpenGl doom3 engine kicks the crap out of Directx.