PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to the makes of Tomb Raider

Ave
4th Apr 2006, 14:59
Hi, I just wanted to make a thread where I and possibly others take the time to thank the makers for the game.

I liked the new Tomb raider game alot, albeit it being v. short, i managed to beat it in 5 hours. However, Im impressed with the other aspects of the game. You got the gameplay pretty much spot on, I liked the fact that Lara chit-chatted with her associates during the stages, the graphics was really well done and ran very well on my humble computer; Athlon XP 2,2, 512 mb ram and Radeon 9700. The story was good and engaging etc etc.

We all know how Eidos have gotten alot of flak in the past for "screwing" up the franchise with repetitive gameplay and such, which I to a certain extent also thought, although Tomb raider has always had a special place in my heart ever since the first game. Anyhow, with this new installement in the Tomb Raider series I feel that they are on the right track again, so I'd like to thank Eidos for it and I hope you'll continue to bring us further joy with future Tomb raider games :)

Thank you Eidos and bring us a continuation to this story soon!
(A longer one :p)

Mangar The Dark
4th Apr 2006, 15:41
You beat the game in just 5 HOURS?!!

Jeez, that really sucks. My expectations just dropped drastically. Maybe I'll wait a few months and buy this for $5 on Amazon like I did with AOD.

Notts Raider
4th Apr 2006, 15:54
You beat the game in just 5 HOURS?!!

Jeez, that really sucks. My expectations just dropped drastically. Maybe I'll wait a few months and buy this for $5 on Amazon like I did with AOD.

I've been playing TR since 97 and it still took me over 50hrs, I only got 80% of the game done.

bene
4th Apr 2006, 16:02
Manger, this is NOT like AOD and yes, the longer you wait the more it will become bargin priced but that's any game, anywhere and Legend is not just any game.

Congratz to Eidos, CD and Toby Gard.
Well done! You have managed to drag some of us die-hard TR fans into new century gaming technology.
Hope this becomes a best seller and the next game is looonger. lol

movieman
4th Apr 2006, 16:18
Extending a game by making you die and reload every two minutes due to bad controls -- like AoD -- is not my idea of fun...

TRBeth
4th Apr 2006, 16:23
Ave, did you use a gamepad to play on your pc?

Mangar The Dark
4th Apr 2006, 16:37
Extending a game by making you die and reload every two minutes due to bad controls -- like AoD -- is not my idea of fun...

No, but there are OTHER ways to make a game take a long time. Last Revelation was a good long game, for example. Tons of levels, puzzles, etc. No way anyone could have completed that game in 5 hours. I'm just nervous about spending a lot of money and then being done with it by the end of the first weekend. The original TR took me most of the summer to complete.

lllll
4th Apr 2006, 17:20
I've been playing TR since 97 and it still took me over 50hrs, I only got 80% of the game done.

What? TRL over 50 hours and 80% done?

The game has been available for 4 days (if you downloaded it illegaly) so that means you have played the game at least 2 days non-stop without sleeping, eating, leaving your room, etc. or played it 12-13 hours a day for 4 days now.

Look, I know you are a TR fan and all, but posting BS stories here does not help anyone.
CD should know what the complaints are so they won't make the same mistake the next time :thumbsup:

Ave
4th Apr 2006, 17:51
I noticed i made a mistake by not thanking Crystal dynamics too, sorry for that.

About the time it took me to finish the game; by finishing it i meant going through the whole story, not finding every treasure, so no i didnt finish it at 100% think i was at 86-90% or something like that. Im not really into the secondary tasks of finding treasures, the story-portion is what interests me. So obvioulsy finding everything in the game would take abit longer.

TRbeth; i played with mouse and keyboard, don't even own a gamepad. I've never had a problem playing pretty much any game with m/k.

The game IS fairly short, but it doesnt detract from the fact that its a v.good game despite that. I think that Eidos and Crystal Dynamics deserve the money for this one and you know, the more revenue they get the more likely it is that they make sequels :)

AOD was a good game too btw, sure it had bugs and whatnot, but i enjoyed that one too :P

_Laurence_
4th Apr 2006, 18:03
I hope you thanked Eidos / Crystal D by purchasing the game legally..:)

Ave
4th Apr 2006, 18:17
Obviously since i especially mentioned that they are worth the revenue for this one..

Ave
4th Apr 2006, 18:24
Btw, checked my stats to be fair, It took 6:06 hours to beat it and i did it at 86% so there is definitely more for those who want 100%. A longer game next time would be nice, dont really remember how long the first installements were but i have the impression that they were fairly long.

It felt like they could've continued the storyline to the finish instead of cutting it when it got really interesting.

Mangar The Dark
4th Apr 2006, 18:43
6:06 is way too short (and I'm not the sort of person who enjoys secondary / menialtasks of treasure hunting, either-- I want a good, solid story that takes longer than 6 hours.)

Well, this is a disappointment. I have a gift certificate that I was planning to spend on Legend, but now I'll wait and see how good the reviews are for Dreamfall, then I'll decide which to buy. The thought of spending $50 (even if it's from a gift card) for a game that can be completed in a day or two really bothers me.

Just curious-- did you use a walkthrough? Or were you able to figure it all out on your own in that amount of time?