PDA

View Full Version : Next gen

R1c4n
4th Apr 2006, 08:05
Ok I have the PC version of TRL and the nextgen doesn't seem to be fluid, how can I look one direction and have 60 FPS, then move my mouse literally a few Centimeters and get 15 FPS? This usually happens in the 1st level with the waterfalls, nextgen graphics, all settings enabled minus antialiasing. I have an AMD 64FX 51 (2.4 ghz), eVGA 7800 GS 256meg and 2 gigs of system memory. Yes I have defragged HD and ran scandisk as well. I just want to know, is having 512 megs of ram on videocard mandatory for smooth FPS, or has Eidos tested any cards with 256 megs of ram that has smooth playback of TRL nextgen. I'm not sure if you guys are answering questions yet even though its not officially released yet, but im just curious as to whats the nextgen requirements are. Thanks in advanced for any replies, greatly apprecitated.

R1c4n

dhama
4th Apr 2006, 11:46
You didn't say what screen resolution you're in, but that aside, do you have anything else running?

I would have though 256mb to be enough for next gen though.

Gahbane
4th Apr 2006, 12:56
i have to agree to top post i have a AMD fx 55 with 2gb ram and a x1800xt pcx
on a res of 1028x768 and with next gen on. I get fps problems plus even turning off shadows don't make a diff's is there a issue with ati drivers? as with next gen off on full AA and full max the game runs fine. But the gfx looks less fancy any ideas?

R1c4n
4th Apr 2006, 14:06
I'm playing @ 1024x768, I've tried playing with nothing in background running, but usually I just play with xfire running. I've also tried 800x600 and it is still pretty bad. Its bearable for the most parts but when I get into battles, the FPS goes below 15 sometimes and its terrible. I can play with regular graphics and everything maxed though and still looks similar, just you know, having the nextgen option available, with a nextgen videocard and not having it work smoothly kinda sucks :|

hotrippr
4th Apr 2006, 17:56
I have x1900xtx 1280x1024
I believe you have to have a card that supports shader 3.0 for best results.
That aside, I dont believe the drivers are ready for 3.0, I too am experiencing things in other games like fps dropping just by moving the mouse a lil bit.
I hope with patience we will see more driver support which will give us better results.
The game looks really good and is even better with Temporal AA enabled in Catalyst, for you ati guys. Although, with Temporal you will probably lose some frames but if your system is good you wont notice it, ie mine is locked at 60fps with temporal enabled, and goes up to 130fps without temporal enabled, which is more than enough.
So my two cents are: 1.that it will do better if your card is shader3.0
2.drivers need more development to support 3.0 games

R1c4n
4th Apr 2006, 23:16
Hmm thats kinda great news...well for me at least lol. If you have what is possibly the best videocard out there, and that one does has 512 megs of ram and your game is still bad....then its definitely a driver issue somewhere. I wonder if CD ever got a working version of TRL next gen @ their offices...and if so with what cards and what system setup.

hotrippr
4th Apr 2006, 23:23
Hmm thats kinda great news...well for me at least lol. If you have what is possibly the best videocard out there, and that one does has 512 megs of ram and your game is still bad....then its definitely a driver issue somewhere. I wonder if CD ever got a working version of TRL next gen @ their offices...and if so with what cards and what system setup.
Its not that some games are bad, its just if you look at certain places within a game you drop some frames, it really wouldnt be noticable if I didnt have fraps on.
It could also be the way the games were prog, I will post back on the 7th after I get the updated demo patch that will enable next gen features.

darthmo
5th Apr 2006, 19:38
I don't know if we have to blame the drivers instead of the game programming, Ati's X1xxx series is surely shader 3.0 compliant, and the next gen content in trl are the same effects that we can see in f.e.a.r, Ubersoldier, call of duty 2 and a lot of games where the frame rate doesn't drop. Maybe the game is not well optimized and we would see a patch for that fps drop problem in the future. but for now it sucks to see a game that drops fps in a x1800xl.... :(

Zeeblade
6th Apr 2006, 00:09
I wouldnt say "maybe the game is not well optimized" I would just say its not. I've already heard them say its not them "you just need better drivers" lol. Like I said before its a nice game but sorry this is NOT next gen graphics.

jdawg224
8th Apr 2006, 01:53
Yeah I think the game is just poorly optimized for the PC. I have 2 gigs of ram, amd64 4000+, and a geforce 7800gtx. next gen runs like total crap while FEAR and Call of duty 2 runs perfectly fine with the same technology. Why oh why?!

Mercian
8th Apr 2006, 12:53
This is a quoate from the read-me....

Stuttering while running High End

When running the next-generation features, a small number of people may experience slight frame rate instability (stuttering) during game play. This is a video card driver problem and you must make sure you have downloaded the latest drivers for your video card. Card manufacturer’s websites where you can obtain these are listed at the end of this ReadMe file.

Hopefully Nvidia/ATI will be bringing out optimised drivers for this...

typod
8th Apr 2006, 17:20
My frame rate drops massively when I enable next gen content as well. Now admittedly I do run it 1920x1200 (Widescreen) but you would think my system really should be able to handle it. Hopefully it's just a driver issue and nVidia will sort it out in the next release.

P4 3.0Ghz Dual Core
2GB DDR2 667 RAM
GTX 7900GTX 512MB
24.1" Widescreen LCD monitor

movieman
8th Apr 2006, 18:19
Having tried it a bit more, 'next gen' is basically making the game unplayable for me: at 1280x960 frame rate is fine for a while, then I turn around and the whole game freezes for a fraction of a second. That makes the combat sequences lethal, not to mention jumps tricky when the game freezes part-way through one.

Whereas without 'next gen' I can run at 2048x1536 with AA enabled.

That's with a P4-3GHz/1GB/Geforce 7800GS system.

L Croft
8th Apr 2006, 19:17
yup I also have this problem, high end computer but next gen is almost unplayable.

coachiola
8th Apr 2006, 23:50
i thought my GPU was not up to the job

next gen feature really makes this game alot less enjoyable, the frame rate drop is a pain in the backside.

im running it with 3GB ram
amd 64 3500+
and an x1900xt

StargazerUK
9th Apr 2006, 00:31
Atholon 64 3200+ (2Ghz, 1mb cache)
6800GT AGP 256MB not O/C
Soundblaster XFI Fatality
1.5Gb DDR 400 CL2.5
19" Widescreen @ 1440x900
Windows XP Professional X64

Playing this game i don't have AA enabled, i did run the next gen graphics and all runned well with minor slow downs along the way but was mostly fine.

But when i got to the Kazakhstan level with next gen enabled it just crashes only way foward is to turn if off. Is there a fix for this, the 1.1 patch i tried and it did not help.

BunnyLover
9th Apr 2006, 01:03
i thought my GPU was not up to the job

next gen feature really makes this game alot less enjoyable, the frame rate drop is a pain in the backside.

Feel the same way.
See system specs in my sig file
Stutters even with the 1.1 patch.

However, as I pointed out in another thread. Although my PC is set up to use SLI, I don't think TLR is using it. Only one of the gfx cards shows any signs of heating after prolonged play, the other is at its base temperature. This doesn't happen in any other 3d game I play that uses SLI - both cards heat up pretty much the same.

My question... Can TLR (v1.0 or 1.1) use SLI?