PDA

View Full Version : why is the pc version cheeper?

jacky4566
3rd Apr 2006, 20:05
huh

GoranAgar
3rd Apr 2006, 20:09
I do not know for sure, but I think in order to release a game on the PS2 or XBox you have to pay a licence fee to Sony and Microsoft.

FrozenFire
3rd Apr 2006, 20:34
It's only fair... a pc is way more expensive than a console. ;)
And to run the game fine on a pc, you need to spend a freakin lot of money on hardware upgrades. Since the game developers work together with the hardware industry, they probably get some money input from that side. And maybe that shows in the price.
I doubt it works like that, but it is at least a good explanation :rolleyes:

maniac44
3rd Apr 2006, 23:37
I do not know for sure, but I think in order to release a game on the PS2 or XBox you have to pay a licence fee to Sony and Microsoft.

That's correct. And Sony/Microsoft have to OK the game before it can be released.

RAZMAT
3rd Apr 2006, 23:47
what's that mean, it makes canary sounds?

TRBeth
4th Apr 2006, 01:18
Because it cost less to leave out the WALK feature, which is what they did in the pc version.:rolleyes:

jacky4566
4th Apr 2006, 03:19
i think its just a combination of microsoft/sony release plus all the computers they have to lend to optimize the game

Lancelot27
4th Apr 2006, 16:13
they charge what the going rate is .... they have to compete with the prices of new games on the same platform. if they could get away with charging £40 - £50 for all versions i bet they would, but as you average ps2 game is about £30 max these days they will not go ubove that as noone would buy it, same for pc .... not looked recently but i bet the average price of a game is cheaper. X360 is about £50 as thats the going rate. It will be claimed that it took more effort to create the 360 version (and i dont doubt this) but in the end its pure business ... when the ps2 / xbox first came out their games were £40 - £50 also, but the price has fallen over time ... as it will with the 360. Pc gaming has been around for ever and the pc gamer userbase is far smaller than the console market thus prices are lower to make sure there are sales.

if you were selling something would you price yourself out of the market?

Laraman
4th Apr 2006, 16:16
SOmeone already mentioned it, but you have to pay a fee to MS/Sony to get your game released on the PS2 or Xbox. But with PC that step does not have to be done and can be released without a feww which is why it's cheaper :)

Core Fan
4th Apr 2006, 16:53
Because it cost less to leave out the WALK feature, which is what they did in the pc version.:rolleyes:

are you serious? no walk feature for the pc version?? :confused:

_Laurence_
4th Apr 2006, 17:18
are you serious? no walk feature for the pc version??

If you use a gamepad then it is possible, otherwise it's not, and thats only because keyboards aren't pressure sensitive.

westy159
4th Apr 2006, 17:18
are you serious? no walk feature for the pc version?? :confused:

its there, just close to impossible to do with a keyboard and mouse

jacky4566
4th Apr 2006, 22:08
i think its just a combination of microsoft/sony release plus the game can be put on to cd-roms and requires no compression so it cost less to manufature it