PDA

View Full Version : Does Lara Walk?

TRBeth
2nd Apr 2006, 13:38
Can she walk in the demo? I don't mean the sneaking kinda walk.

Shehi
2nd Apr 2006, 13:41
Guess not. In both cases when Shift or F is pressed she sneaks.

Deckard
2nd Apr 2006, 14:11
I too tried to get her to just walk for more than 30 min - no way. I couldn't believe it. She either runs or "sneaks". That way she's either to slow to comfortably explore vast areas or just hectic :mad: . I really miss the simple walk :( . What a shame, bc otherwise the moves are brilliant.

ZXcorr
2nd Apr 2006, 14:26
Really???
But in some of the gameplay videos around the net, I think I saw Lara walking.
Not sneaking. Walking.

TRBeth
2nd Apr 2006, 14:35
Lets hope it was left out of the demo....or we just have not discovered it yet.

Palmtree
2nd Apr 2006, 14:39
And when she gets to the Tokyo party??? Will she run around the party like a crazy bimbo? Or sneak around like some freaky old lady? She is able to walk on PS2 , thank God. :D

del_uk
2nd Apr 2006, 14:39
If you hold left shift and WASD she walks.

del_uk
2nd Apr 2006, 14:42
Ah no, she's still sneaking, hmm...

Notts Raider
2nd Apr 2006, 14:44
Yes she can walk in the PC demo, depends how much pressure you put on the forward movement

Palmtree
2nd Apr 2006, 14:54
That doesnt work with PC keys , other you press it or you don't.

The pressure thing only works in PS2.

Notts Raider
2nd Apr 2006, 15:40
That doesnt work with PC keys , other you press it or you don't.

The pressure thing only works in PS2.

It also works if you have a gamepad connected to the PC

TRBeth
2nd Apr 2006, 15:54
If you hold left shift and WASD she walks.

I think this game was made for octopus, not people. lol

How can one manage to press WASD and left shift..........?:rolleyes:

TRBeth
2nd Apr 2006, 15:57
It also works if you have a gamepad connected to the PC

How good is the gamepad control? Do you still have use keyboard + gamepad? Which controller are you using?

Notts Raider
2nd Apr 2006, 16:00
I'm using a PSX gampad and theres no need to use the mouse, everything fits on the pad, the problem is getting it configured right. Some ways have to be changed so you only need 2 hands to make Lara do a swan dive ;)

del_uk
2nd Apr 2006, 16:01
I think this game was made for octopus, not people. lol

How can one manage to press WASD and left shift..........?:rolleyes:

lol, I meant any of the "WASD" movement buttons.

Deckard
2nd Apr 2006, 16:08
... if a gamepad is used as controller she's able to walk? Hmm ... then maybe they just "forgot" to assign a key or it is there and not documented. If the "walk" animation exists, then there's hope. I'll re-check all keys. Maybe I was too frustrated and overlooked it :p .

TRBeth
2nd Apr 2006, 16:13
lol, I meant any of the "WASD" movement buttons.

WASD and shift results in sneaking not walking. Have you gotten her to actually walk upright?

linden
2nd Apr 2006, 16:14
Can she walk in the demo? I don't mean the sneaking kinda walk.

Im afraid she cant walk. Its taken straightly from Crystal dynamics' Legacy of Kain, that guy cant walk either, i bet they cant do it other way.

It sucks.

The controls on PC are just horrible, they are way more worse than AoD. :mad:

TRBeth
2nd Apr 2006, 16:16
Im afraid she cant walk. Its taken straightly from Crystal dynamics' Legacy of Kain, that guy cant walk either, i bet they cant do it other way.

It sucks.

The controls on PC are just horrible, they are way more worse than AoD. :mad:

Ok, if that is so, then how many keys are there on a frigging keyboard? and CD could not assign one walk key? LAME.

owen10
2nd Apr 2006, 16:29
She can walk with ease on PS2. The controls are so intuitive with a dual analogue stick pad.

linden
2nd Apr 2006, 16:43
Ok, if that is so, then how many keys are there on a frigging keyboard? and CD could not assign one walk key? LAME.

I dont know. It looks like Crystal Dynamics cant make a simple direction keys.
When smimming, you have to use a different key to go up and different key to dive. Cant they just make aa simple key board mapping, where UP key is UP and DOWN key is DOWN?:mad:

Also, why cant Lara go backwards at all? Why there is backwards and left and right direction keys cause all the keys take you FORWARD???:confused:

munchkin
2nd Apr 2006, 16:45
She can walk with ease on PS2. The controls are so intuitive with a dual analogue stick pad.

yep owen, i agree, :) works liek a dream :)

beccaxx

Deckard
2nd Apr 2006, 16:47
I checked all keys. Several times. Over and over again. There's no way to make her walk using the keyboard :( . Interesting. But not the funny kind of interesting :mad: . Patch anyone? Hands up please ... :rolleyes:

linden
2nd Apr 2006, 16:52
Im with Deckard here. I have been playing Tomb Raider with keyboard since the day one, and i am not going to buy any game pads for this and start to play with my thumbs now, when i have played TR with my all other fingers for 7 years. :mad:

owen10
2nd Apr 2006, 16:59
Im with Deckard here. I have been playing Tomb Raider with keyboard since the day one, and i am not going to buy any game pads for this and start to play with my thumbs now, when i have played TR with my all other fingers for 7 years. :mad:
To be fair, it is a completely different game, by a different studio. I feel you'd be missing part of the experience without a decent pad, but I understand your point of view.

linden
2nd Apr 2006, 18:00
To be fair, it is a completely different game.

You said it best brother :P
I was just gonna say that this is not the Tomb Raider i love. This is just a new game.

StarChampagne
2nd Apr 2006, 18:19
I would never buy a gamepad for my computer just for Legend. I hope some of the control issues have been addressed in the actual game. Lara controls fine with the mouse, but I don't see why they couldn't have made forward mean forward, back mean back, and sideways just turn Lara, instead of the controls being relative. You jump forward to get onto a ledge, you shimmy some, and then it's sideways to get off. I don't have a big problem with this, and it doesn't really affect my enjoyment, it's just hard to master and jumping off the chain things has been harder than necessary. Also, you need a third hand if you wish to use the directional keys (which I find much easier than WASD) and reassigning the keys leads to hardship as well. But having said that, it was a fantastic demo. Oh, and Lara should definitely walk, not that sneaking thing :)

TRBeth
2nd Apr 2006, 18:40
To be fair, it is a completely different game, by a different studio. I feel you'd be missing part of the experience without a decent pad, but I understand your point of view.

To be fair, if you are going to release on pc, then you should not have to play with a pad.:confused:

linden
2nd Apr 2006, 19:57
To be fair, if you are going to release on pc, then you should not have to play with a pad.:confused:

Exactly. Gamepad is for consoles. I dont buy a gamepad just for playing this one game, cause i dont have a use for it anywhere. If this is supposed to be played with gamepad, it should be included with the PC game

WASD contorls are for FPS game, where you actually need only FORWARD key... dont see why they even have other keys :P

Tomb Raider was adventure action game, where you proceeded slowely and calmly, and explored places. Now you just run like a headless chicken all around and wonder where does the button take me now, and you cant explore places for fun, because of the check point system. Check points are also for consoles.

I have never used mouse playing Tomb Raider, and i play with my right hand, and now, i should start to play with my left hand.:confused: :mad:
Why cant there be a ORIGINAL Tomb Raider option for controls in this game???

Isaac
2nd Apr 2006, 22:52
I agree with you. Walk was using to walk next-to edges without falling. But now we don't really need it, I means, we just have to Sneak next-to the edge and press F (for the PC version).

Then, if they didn't put the Walk, it's because we didn't need it, we're always jumping, climbing, attacking...so they tought that we didn't need it. Well there's still the Walk for PS2 but not for the PC.

and you cant explore places for fun, because of the check point system. Check points are also for consoles.

I don't remember where but it was saying that the Check Points will be removed in the Full Game. For the PC there's the «Load and Save» option, so we won't need Check Points. Also, if they put them in the Demo, it's because it's the same Demo as the one on PS2 (I'm sure you already noticed this),they only changed a few options (like the Button that we need to press on the first level, the Exit option on the main menu...).

But I also agree with you. The famous waterfall at tne begining, I was loving diving from the top, but when I was going back to the top, there was Check Points...

Whatever, you can buy a GamePad if you really want to Walk, but me, having the game and another Tomb Raider with beautiful graphics is enough to me :).

By the way, is there going to be any switch to activate to make a door open in TRL or key to use in a door? Because I didn't see any inventory in the menu...

And when she gets to the Tokyo party??? Will she run around the party like a crazy bimbo? Or sneak around like some freaky old lady? She is able to walk on PS2 , thank God. :D

I also though about it, she's wearing a dress next to a lot of people. If she start to run like a chicken, it would be strange.
Here come also the famous reason of the PS2. Maybe the game's conceptors said that on PS2 they can Walk by moving slowly the analog stick, but they didn't think about the PC version...poor us, she'll be embarassed ...

TRBeth
3rd Apr 2006, 00:09
I agree with you. Walk was using to walk next-to edges without falling. But now we don't really need it, I means, we just have to Sneak next-to the edge and press F (for the PC version).

Then, if they didn't put the Walk, it's because we didn't need it, we're always jumping, climbing, attacking...so they tought that we didn't need it. Well there's still the Walk for PS2 but not for the PC.

Good lord, I can't believe you said this. lol

OuTR
3rd Apr 2006, 00:27
I got her to walk with the gamepad axes turned on, but I agree there should be a walk key for keyboard players. I have to admit though, games these days are changing and are more advanced then the old TR 1 days. I had to give up playing with my sidewinder (which I love) because it had no joysticks and I need them for games like TRL and Bloodrayne etc etc... If I want to play them comfortably anyway.

FrozenFire
3rd Apr 2006, 13:04
Some people say the controls in Legend resemble Prince of Persia, others say it's like Blood Rayne and others claim it's like Legacy of Kain - Defiance?

I found Defiance almost unplayable without a gamepad. Blood Rayne and Prince of Persia were fine.
So please tell me it's more like Blood Rayne than Defiance!! o_O

linden
3rd Apr 2006, 13:10
Some people say the controls in Legend resemble Prince of Persia, others say it's like Blood Rayne and others claim it's like Legacy of Kain - Defiance?

I found Defiance almost unplayable without a gamepad. Blood Rayne and Prince of Persia were fine.
So please tell me it's more like Blood Rayne than Defiance!! o_O

Its just all of them. To me they are all the same. The controls are horrible on PC.
TR Legend is just a Legacy of Kain - Defiance, clone.
I also just heard it can be finished in 5 hours only.

GoranAgar
3rd Apr 2006, 13:11
I also just heard it can be finished in 5 hours only.
And Morrowind can be finished in 20 minutes. ... what is your point? ;)

linden
3rd Apr 2006, 13:14
My point is; it took me 2 months to finish TR3, for example :P

_Laurence_
3rd Apr 2006, 13:16
Just play 30 mins a day then :)

Jurjen
3rd Apr 2006, 13:29
TRL controls on PC are very different from Legacy of Kain: Defiance. If they have to be compared to that series they are more like Soul Reaver 2. Defiance had effectively no mouse control, which is the best method to control lara in TRL on PC.

Lara does not run during the party in Tokyo. (She can't even run).

On the PC, like on PS2, she can be made to walk using an analog gamepad, but it serves no gameplay purpose. Sneak is supported as it does.

If everyone feels strongly about being able to walk maybe that can be added in a patch, who knows... But I do wonder what the fuss is about? :)

GoranAgar
3rd Apr 2006, 13:30
My point is; it took me 2 months to finish TR3, for example :P
And my point is, some people probably finished TR3 in 2 days. ;)

I spent 5 hours in the Bolivia level. Because I am a Tomb Raider. I do not care what some game reviewers say. Never. They do not play for fun but for their review.

WraithStar
3rd Apr 2006, 15:44
I played the PC demo the other day with a keyboard and trackball. The controls are alright, but not spectacular. Prince of Persia is definitely easier to control. Anyhow, perhaps they can implement a walk feature by double-tapping the W key? In Oni, double-tapping the W key made her dash, so I figure it's possible to make Lara walk in a similar fashion.

Oh, by the way, I did finish TR3 in two days (I played 12 hours a day over the course of a weekend;))

Isaac
3rd Apr 2006, 15:57
TRL controls on PC are very different from Legacy of Kain:
Lara does not run during the party in Tokyo. (She can't even run).

What do you mean by that? Are you saying that she walks automatically?
(Please don't tell me that it's only dialogue, I wanted to have fun at the party too !!!)

Jurjen
3rd Apr 2006, 16:33
Yep, she will walk automatically. It's not the type of dress one can run around in ;)

jules
3rd Apr 2006, 16:45
I really do hate the controls on this game :( why can't she walk ??
I have been around and around in circle's with these controls.
it has taken me ages to get used to them, but why could they not just given us the old TR controls back instead of changing the whole game.
It does not feel like TR anymore, even thought the graphics are awesome :(

FrozenFire
3rd Apr 2006, 17:10
Yep, she will walk automatically. It's not the type of dress one can run around in ;)

Haven't got the game yet, but since it's Lara Croft, I BET she will rip her long dress in a cutscene and then rock that place! ;)

mrcube
3rd Apr 2006, 18:52
Can i just ask - can u remap the controls for TR: Legend on PC, cause I would have got the demo, but I moved house and my broadband don't work yet :mad:

and can someone tell me excactly what the controls are for TR:L on PC?

RAZMAT
3rd Apr 2006, 19:39
i know you can map them for the demo with the options menu.i'm sure you can with the game.i just bought a nyko gamepad(since my other one naturally died 2 days before the demo), and it has mapping software with it so that even if one is playing a pc game that is keyboard only supported,you can map the keyboard to your controller with it.

westy159
3rd Apr 2006, 19:42
I have this trouble with the demo where once i start to make her run she just never stops. While in this never ending running mode i did manage to make her walk with the shift button i think. Anyway it defiantly was walking, not sneaking, ass cheeks were bouncing in a nice way :D I havent been able to do it again. So walking is in there its just close to impossible to make it work. Perhaps a patch will fix it as well as the annoying run prob i have.

hotrippr
3rd Apr 2006, 21:45
Used a logitech cordless rumble pad, worked great, rumbled on boulders gunshots, falls etc. She walks and sneaks with analog stick. This controller has 11 programmable buttons, I am afraid it isnot enough, unless the retail version binds some tihngs together. The rumbled pad is exactly like a ps2 controller. Was enough for demo though, but I dont think it will be with grenades vehicles and so on. Unless like I said bind things like health-binocs-weapon-light. I have seen one game do this: the latest Xmen Legends pc. On consoles you see this all the time hold one thing down and switch with d-pad, easy...activision did it.

lllll
3rd Apr 2006, 22:11
With a controller on your PC you can make her sneak, walk and run with the analogue stick.

WraithStar
3rd Apr 2006, 23:09
Can i just ask - can u remap the controls for TR: Legend on PC, cause I would have got the demo, but I moved house and my broadband don't work yet :mad:

and can someone tell me excactly what the controls are for TR:L on PC?

You can remap the buttons in the demo, so I'm certain you can in the game.

The controls are based on the camera's perspective, not Lara's. i.e. pushing left makes Lara go to the left side of the screen, not to her left based on where she's facing. Swimming has similar controls, except Lara stays at the same depth in the water unless you press crouch (goes deeper) or jump (goes toward the surface).

What I remember of my setup is like this:

WASD - movement (instead of the arrow keys)
Mouse - moving the mouse around adjusts the camera, which in effect turns Lara while she's running or just gives you a different view if she's stationary
Space - jump, swim closer to the surface while in water
Shift- sneak (it's like walking, except crouched down)
F - crouch if pressed alone, roll if pressed while running, drop down if pressed while hanging from a ledge or pole, swim deeper down while in water
Q - use/release the magnetic grapple
E- action (grab objects to push/pull, move faster while shimmying/climbing on poles, climb up/down ropes, pull something that you have grappled)
Left Mouse Button - fire weapons
Right Mouse Button - draw weapons
Tab - bring up the PDA screen with the objectives
1 - use grenades
2- use health pack
3- turn the flashlight on/off

I probably forgot about some of the functions. There are other things, like using the binoculars or bringing up the health meter, that I didn't bother mentioning because I didn't use them very often and when I did, it was in a quiet setting where I had time to reach to the other side of the keyboard for the buttons:)

TRBeth
4th Apr 2006, 01:15
All of that is in the came options to reference. Except, WALK, of course, where someone at CD forgot about walking and left it out. :rolleyes:

MntlMrshl
4th Apr 2006, 01:59
There is one way to make her walk, take out her guns then hold the sneak button while moving. She'll be walking, but with her guns drawn.

RAZMAT
4th Apr 2006, 04:55
i can't find the rest of the posts for this thread. i did earlier but now they're gone.i am posting this reply at the bottom of the 16th post.

munchkin
4th Apr 2006, 05:22
I played the PC demo the other day with a keyboard and trackball. The controls are alright, but not spectacular. Prince of Persia is definitely easier to control. Anyhow, perhaps they can implement a walk feature by double-tapping the W key? In Oni, double-tapping the W key made her dash, so I figure it's possible to make Lara walk in a similar fashion.

Oh, by the way, I did finish TR3 in two days (I played 12 hours a day over the course of a weekend;))

12hours a day? :) glad to see i'm not the only one, who is that kinda nut :p

my guess from the reviews i've read is it will be just fine, guess we;ll all know by the end of this week though ;)

beccaxx

mrcube
5th Apr 2006, 13:53
Shame, What happened to the nice original keyboard layout from all the other TR games

munchkin
5th Apr 2006, 14:13
larawalking PS2 (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=57914)

hi, still not sure, how you do it on pc, but i imagine xbox and 360 is similar to PS2, full presure on left analogue stick, is run, medium is wlak, light is creep.

check out thread link above, :)

beccaxx

mrcube
5th Apr 2006, 21:05
well its 2 days now and then we'll all know if an how lara walks