PDA

View Full Version : Sound Problem

LCisYum
2nd Apr 2006, 07:58
Anyone else having sound issues with TRL? It sounds like stuttering/garbling sounds. This only happens when I have sound full acceleration on. If I turn it off, the problem is gone. My sound card is Sound Blaster Live 24-bit.

dhama
2nd Apr 2006, 08:26
If directX components are fully updated, and your sound card drivers are also, then it may be a problem with sample rates between the demo and the sound card, which might mean patching for soundblaster live soundcards, but this is only a theory on my part.

LCisYum
2nd Apr 2006, 18:54
I just updated my sound card drivers and the stuttering/garbling sounds are still there. It must be the game since other people are also experiencing this issue.

dhama
2nd Apr 2006, 20:05
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

PCI Latency Tool, a utility to set PCI Latency and possibly prevent game stutter or improve FPS.

This only works for AGP cards and NOT PCI express as these don't have latency timers apparently.

I hope this helps, but if it doesn't and you tried everything else like defraging the drive where your swap file is, and you have all the uptodate drivers, and you've tried running the demo without antivirus running in the background.... you can always wait for a patch..... sorry.

LCisYum
3rd Apr 2006, 04:07
I think I'll just wait for a patch. This isn't the first time this has happened. There was another game from Eidos, made by Crystal Dynamics, the same developers from TRL, also had this sound problem. The game was Project: Snowblind. Btw, I never had this problem with any other games besides these two from the same developer. Strange eh? I wonder why.

GoranAgar
3rd Apr 2006, 11:05
In my opinion the Problem lies with Creative. They make wonderful hardware, but their driver support sucks. The latest driver for the Soundblaster Live is from January 2004. And that is simply rude.

But that is what you get when a company does not have a competitor. Look at ATI and NVidia. They release new drives almost every week. Of course always concentrating on the latest cards but very often also helping the older cards.

dhama
3rd Apr 2006, 11:27
I have to agree, I used to have a Soundblaster Live, and got so fed up I bought a second hand cheap Philips soundcard and it does the job admirably and has done for the past 2 years... even on it's original drivers. ;)

Rikk
4th Apr 2006, 13:13
I have the same sound problem LCisYum. While messing around with dxdiags sound hardware slider, I ran TRL with dxdiag open but hardware acceleration full, and the problem with sound has now turned from sounding like the bass is WAY too high into barely noticable pops and clicks.

Does this work for y'all too (just have dxdiag window open while running TRL, with hardware acceleration to full.)?

Btw, I have a SoundBlaster Audigy 1 LS.

nubechecorre
4th Apr 2006, 13:38
HI! i am a new user :-)

I had problem with the soundblaster live but then i solved the problem installing and updating the original creative driver.. ( before i used the win driver )

Now i have problem with graphic.

I have random crash i don't know why..

I play for few minutes then i got a black screen, the image re-appear, i play for few minutes and then the game die..

I also updated the ati driver for my radeon but nothing..

Any ideas ?

WaLLy3K
5th Apr 2006, 03:15
I've had both sound problems on my current SB Live! 24 Bit sound card and on my old logitech USB headset.

Here is what it sounds like for me (http://www.clan-beef.net/files/garble.zip). (Zip, 155Kb Compressed MP3 file)

I'll admit though, it does go away when disabling Sound Card Hardware Acceleration.

DABhand
5th Apr 2006, 13:08
I tried the Demo before buying Legends when it finally hits the shelves here, but after AOD I was a bit sceptical about it, and I tried demo and yes sound stuttering is there, even on an Audigy 4!

The bass has been amplified, which wasnt kind to my ears when Playing WoW and getting a critical hit, my ears were ringing for ages.

Seems this is a problem with most creative cards, im lucky to be a store owner and tried various sound chips to check what is good or bad.

Creative

Live 24bit - stuttering, bass increase
Audigy 2 - As above
Audigy 4 - As above

Crystal

Any CMI card - As above

Yamaha

Any I had - As above

Quite a weird thing...

Still it seems most cards cause this, sure you can turn of emulation, but eventually it does return to its st..st...stuttering.

Thing is, if this is happening to everyone why wasnt Eidos or developer aware of this problem when testing?

sup2069
6th Apr 2006, 00:22
LCisyum, I have the exact same card as you do, same problem as well. Ill try that PCI latency thing and see if that works. I hope they fix a big problem like this before it comes out. Playing a brand new anticipated game with sound issues is extremly frustrating.

Agama
8th May 2006, 07:31
Hi everyone, I have the same sound problem (Creative). I searched the net including European and American support sites. The American support site suggests the following:

First start up Tomb Raider Legend and get to the main menu. Then Hold ALT and press TAB to minimize the game and return to the desktop. Next press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab and fine "trl.exe" in the list. Right click on it, left click on "Set Priority", and set it to Normal. Then close the Task manager and bring the game back up, you should now be able to play without sound problems. If you find the problem still exists, go back into the task manager, and try setting the priority to "Above Normal", then give the game another try.

I have not tried it yet. But iff they are saying that the pressor usage might have something to do with it then maybe disabling Hyperthreading might also have an affect. It is just strange that they would suggest changing process settings when the problem is with specifically creative sound cards.

Agama
8th May 2006, 09:25
Check out the link below, it might solve the problem:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=59138