PDA

View Full Version : PC Demo Impressions

Legendary Lara Croft
1st Apr 2006, 05:27
I didn't find topic to post it in, so I decided to start new one.

Those who finally got to play PC demo today or tonight:) what do you guys think about it? please share your opinion

here is what i think

wow, that was great! such nice graphics, puzzles, environment and music! It's absolutely perfect. I felt like I was playing TR 1 of new generation. Lara looks stunning, I like how her clothes and body gets wet and dirty. Game looks so realistic, I don't know how it can get any better. I thought Zip and Allister would bother her all the time but really they are good company, and I enjoyed listening to Lara speak. It took me a while to learn all the moves but once I did, I felt very comfortable. I adjusted some controls the way I like them. And on PC you can rotate camera all around Lara so it also can be good to see details of her costume. I wish there was grenades and other things, but I just really want to play full game. Such a tease was to see Croft Manor option in the menu but not to be able to visit it. I never doubted that it's going to be great but it's really amazing. I love it, thanks so much Eidos, Crystal Dynamics and Toby.

Rgtg
1st Apr 2006, 05:52
It's so beautiful!!! I think i'm in love with this game!!

But... i have some problems...here we go:

The sound ..it's there..but with noises together...

Graphics: some backgrounds are wierd, when Lara passes throught , marks of her stays on the background...

My sound card is a Creative Live! 24bit and my videocard is a Geforce 6600GT

All settings to the maximum...

If somebody can help me, i'll be very happy:)

midroth
1st Apr 2006, 05:55
Can you try/use a "onboard sound card" option?

Legendary Lara Croft
1st Apr 2006, 05:56
you need to set your sound hardware acceleration options to low

Start- Settings- Control Panel- Sounds and Audio Devices- Speaker Settings- Advanced- Performance- Hardware Acceleration - None

about graphics: try turning on Anti Aliasing or turning off full screen effects

Mathieub52
1st Apr 2006, 06:10
I also loved the pc demo but the gameplay changes needs you to play with a mouse wich ilm not use to its not like in olders tomb raider but ilm getting used to. The cool new moves are very good really feels like a new tomb raider cant wait for it realease.

rbfeik
1st Apr 2006, 06:12
On one hand its good they made her movement more realistic, but i think I am going miss back & side flips, esp while shooting.

Legendary Lara Croft
1st Apr 2006, 06:26
On one hand its good they made her movement more realistic, but i think I am going miss back & side flips, esp while shooting.

she can still do them:D

officerpuppy
1st Apr 2006, 06:51
Sounds great, hope the console versions are as fascinateing.:thumbsup:

meznu
1st Apr 2006, 07:02
I'm so jealous! I'm waiting for PS2. I'm really happy to hear that so many people are enjoying it, though. It makes me even more hopeful that this time I really won't be disappointed. I'd love it if I'm even impressed. Thanks for posting your positive experiences. :)

Denny33142
1st Apr 2006, 07:09
i love the pc demo i havent even finished it yet :) the graphics are awesome and lara looks so realistic. i can put the shadows,was affect,fullscreen effect etc on. what really makes the game run slow is putting the AA at 6x but thats with my video card.

her movements are easy to do and umm.... yeaanyway my specs are:

AMD SEMPRON 2400+

896MB OF RAM

RADEON 9600PRO 256MB

i was able to run the game just fine with those specs :)

baylisst
1st Apr 2006, 07:30
omg it was amazing. just finished playing it and as you said it was like TR1 all over again, espec that puzzle at the end, i got an increadible buzz from finishing that. plus the option for manual targeting is really good. cd seem to have pulled out all the stops for this, i hope the full game is just as good all the way thru, and LOOOOOONG like tr1-4 was

all the new moves amazing, graphics amazing, new control system only took about 10 mins to get used to after all those years of ctrl + alt + space etc

2 little quibbles though, wasnt over keen on the depth of field, but i just turned that off, but the other one is that there's no sprint :(

the thing i'm most happy about, above all that^ is the return of her mansion! yay winston!!!!! :)

cant wait till friday tho :D

edit: btw, sys specs:

athlon fx53
radeon x850

everything runs on maximum w/o any probs. plus it supports widescreen resolutions! yay!

ut2004
1st Apr 2006, 07:33
Perfection!

Reminds me very much of Prince of Persia Sands of Time looks great and the controls are easy and it runs smooth.

import_craziej2k
1st Apr 2006, 08:17
did anyone else motice that the pc demo had a few different moves than the PS2 one? (the handstand is different and you can do the gymnast jumps on the pc but not ps2)

Rgtg
1st Apr 2006, 14:04
you need to set your sound hardware acceleration options to low

Start- Settings- Control Panel- Sounds and Audio Devices- Speaker Settings- Advanced- Performance- Hardware Acceleration - None

about graphics: try turning on Anti Aliasing or turning off full screen effects

About the sound i'll try!!! :):):)

About the graphics, all this options are already turned on...

Thanks for your help!!!

I love this game!!!

StarChampagne
1st Apr 2006, 15:08
Well... I almost cried when I played it because I could hardly move Lara and the graphics were rubbish. Think extremely jagged edges and rubbish detail.

Then I figured that you had to use the mouse, so I can now control her.

Then I found how to adjust the resolution, so now the game looks beautiful.

The controls take some getting used to, but I think it's quite good. I would prefer not using a mouse, but that would probably mean the whole grid thing again. And I'll miss the old system but it's OK.

One final thing... my computer isn't quite fast enough (CPU speed falls just short of recommended) so it's a little jerky, but fabulous nevertheless. Great work, CD.

Trueform
1st Apr 2006, 15:13
Ok. I have tried the demo now. I have 2 complaints.
1. My computer has crashed twice :S
and 2. a big dissapointment for me...There is no blood :( why!?!?!?

Trueform
1st Apr 2006, 15:15
Oh, and other than that...it's lovely :D

rbfeik
1st Apr 2006, 15:17
Backflips =
she can still do them:D

when I try to jump backwards she turns and jumps

Acceber
1st Apr 2006, 15:36
Backflips =

when I try to jump backwards she turns and jumps

In the PS2 demo, she will only do back and side flips if you have guns drawn. I think the 'guns drawn' part is what LLC means. :)

TheLegend
1st Apr 2006, 16:27
I have played the demo on my PC even though I have never played PC games before; only PS and PS2. I think that's why I find the controls so frustrating! It did give me a twinge of nostalgia though, and I think CD have kept their promise about returning to the original. I love the originality of the puzzles and how the environment is so interactive. I don't like the way the camera is locked behind Lara whenever she draws her guns. Other than that, a very good game! Can't wait for the high-res upgrade... oooh yeah! Shadows and amazing textures here we come! :)

L Croft
1st Apr 2006, 16:31
I am finding the controls difficult, I am really not a fan of the movement directions depending on the camera cause it is so relative. And it doesn't really work unless its an FPS anyway. I wonder if we will be able to turn that off. Hopefully.

gtkilla
1st Apr 2006, 17:03
the demo didnt work on my computer.:( it met all the requirements for the game except one. i was so mad but i'm not anymore because i read theres going to be an Xbox 360 Demo. :D

BloodRayne
1st Apr 2006, 18:19
Well, I'm gonna start off by saying im definetly not a pc gamer lol. And i dont know anything about my comps stauts and other things. but i downloaded the demo in hopes that it would work. and y'know what it did, and it looked pretty damn good. like ps2 graphics. so i was extremely happy. Like i said im not a pc gamer so the controls were a lill abnormal for me to get use to, but i did and i was having lots of fun. the demo is really really great~~ lara controls so smoothly and everything about it is just great. altho the swimming ocntrols where a little weird >___< the combat was fun =)) i will be getting it for the 360 tho. i hope everyone has fun playing the demo~~~ and yeah a 360 should come out sometim this week mon-fri, i think so anyway!

aquarius_varun
1st Apr 2006, 19:02
I am playing the demo at all maxed out...widescreen 1920 by 1200 res and it looks beautiful. I love sm 3.0 :p and the new wet lara :p///I always purposely get her wet :p...she's damn hot.

btw...yeah I have a dell inspiron 9300 with a geforce 6800 go in it.:thumbsup:

ut2004
1st Apr 2006, 19:24
I am finding the controls difficult, I am really not a fan of the movement directions depending on the camera cause it is so relative. And it doesn't really work unless its an FPS anyway. I wonder if we will be able to turn that off. Hopefully.

Well as a PC gamer only I would say the controls are great, If you played any of the 3 Prince of Persia games you will find it very much the same.

Lost_Raider
1st Apr 2006, 19:27
Bottom line, it is fun, period.

Graphic is good, I'm surprised that it can work on so many different systems without sacrificing much details, and this demo doesn't even come with Next-Gen graphics. CD made a smart decision here, which they put
graphic details over special effects, and it produced a beatiful envrionment without a extremely high system requirment.

The gameplay is nice also. The puzzle solutions are easy to see but require efforts to make it work. Combat, no matter how easy it is, never cease to be fun, because there are just so many moves to try. I really like to listen at guards groaning in slow-mo. The keyboard/mouse control systems are similar to other popular PC game like in Splinter Cell or Max Payne, although it takes some remapping to make it to work.

There are few things that needs to be iron out. For example, the AI needs to be a little more polished, since seeing guards shooting away from Lara is really silly. Also the default keyboard mapping needs to be changed to places near the WASD keys so that it won't require people to grow a thrid hand.

On the note of personal preference, the depth of field effect really give me motion sickness, and it make me wondering whether I play this game during my dream or in realy world.

In summary, this is the Tomb Raider I been dreaming to have in the past 4 years:)

aquarius_varun
1st Apr 2006, 19:29
here u go...some pics...

warning....very high quality

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5849/trl20060401141209128da.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4021/trl20060401140510756qw.jpg

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5262/trl20060401140540406tw.jpg

http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/6973/trl20060401140553985ks.jpg

aquarius_varun
1st Apr 2006, 19:32
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5020/trl20060401140607812lo.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4074/trl20060401140622174mq.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3431/trl20060401140651097zo.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3197/trl20060401141101878ih.jpg

ut2004
1st Apr 2006, 19:34
I have played the demo on my PC even though I have never played PC games before; only PS and PS2. I think that's why I find the controls so frustrating! It did give me a twinge of nostalgia though, and I think CD have kept their promise about returning to the original. I love the originality of the puzzles and how the environment is so interactive. I don't like the way the camera is locked behind Lara whenever she draws her guns. Other than that, a very good game! Can't wait for the high-res upgrade... oooh yeah! Shadows and amazing textures here we come! :)

When I picked up Demonstone the controls were for console, I ended up buying a Recoil Controller just to play it, But for a PC user the game really is easy to control as it is now.

TR AOD on the other hand was a disaster as being able to control Lara was very hard on the PC.

turnip_monster
1st Apr 2006, 19:52
I was a huge fan of the original, after that it kinda went down hill as most people would agree.
However when I heard the new installment was going back to its roots, set in an actual tomb - I started to get excited.
I planned on getting it for XB360, but saw the pc demo and thought I'd give it a try - I'm glad I did, as this won't be a potential purchase on any system!

I can see its appeal to kids, but as kid when the original came out and now a matured gamer ;) this really sucks!

The best thing about the original was the atmosphere, you felt as though you were on your own, in a tomb, and never knew what was gonna be round the corner - it was in a sense scary, in part thanks to the sound.

But now with too many humans, radio communications, dumbed down puzzles, cheesy cinematics, overly complex controls and music the atmosphere is ruined. Its become an action game as opposed to an adventure game.
Its too obvious when you've arrived at a puzzle, the new gadgets are just rediculous, one of the good things about the original is that it often took hours to work out what to do.

The game engine, whilst nothing special is good, along with the textures etc. but the gameplay and design is shoddy.

In all a dissapoint that can only appeal to kids, much unlike the original.

owen10
1st Apr 2006, 20:11
I was a huge fan of the original, after that it kinda went down hill as most people would agree.
However when I heard the new installment was going back to its roots, set in an actual tomb - I started to get excited.
I planned on getting it for XB360, but saw the pc demo and thought I'd give it a try - I'm glad I did, as this won't be a potential purchase on any system!

I can see its appeal to kids, but as kid when the original came out and now a matured gamer ;) this really sucks!

The best thing about the original was the atmosphere, you felt as though you were on your own, in a tomb, and never knew what was gonna be round the corner - it was in a sense scary, in part thanks to the sound.

But now with too many humans, radio communications, dumbed down puzzles, cheesy cinematics, overly complex controls and music the atmosphere is ruined. Its become an action game as opposed to an adventure game.
Its too obvious when you've arrived at a puzzle, the new gadgets are just rediculous, one of the good things about the original is that it often took hours to work out what to do.

The game engine, whilst nothing special is good, along with the textures etc. but the gameplay and design is shoddy.

Your opinions are decidedly skewed; if something doesn't appeal to you, as an adult, it most only appeal to kids. :rolleyes: The gameplay and overall design are of merit, despite your polarised interpretations of the introductory 20 minutes of a game which has received fair praise from the gaming press. As a fan of the originals, I feel you must be remembering them through Lara's own rose-tinted specs.

Anxdrew
1st Apr 2006, 20:50
I'm mixed opinioned about the demo, but look forward to the full release. The only aspect of the game that's really annoying me is the control configurations/new game play. I'm so used to the previous 6 installments controls I can not get used to the new ones, lol.

I'm sure I will after a while, but initially, it's a big change and is affecting how much I am enjoying the demo. Not very much so far, I have to say. Hopefully this will change as I get more used to the game play.

Trinity34
1st Apr 2006, 21:01

Turnip don't forget there are going to be 3 different difficulty settings.

brat352
1st Apr 2006, 21:42
Just finished the demo and it was [HTML]ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!![HTML]I had some problems with the controls and trying to jump sideway/backwards off of poles and such, but once I figured out that the "camera" had to be pointed in the direction you wanted to jump, no problem.

Graphics look spectacular, sound is amazing and gameplay is better than ever! Did have some problems with the box puzzle, but managed to figure it out (after several tries).

This is going to be such a wonderful game I am so glad CD took over the reins!

Hurry up April 11th!!! :D

brat352
1st Apr 2006, 21:43
Just finished the demo and it was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!I had some problems with the controls and trying to jump sideway/backwards off of poles and such, but once I figured out that the "camera" had to be pointed in the direction you wanted to jump, no problem.

Graphics look spectacular, sound is amazing and gameplay is better than ever! Did have some problems with the box puzzle, but managed to figure it out (after several tries).

This is going to be such a wonderful game I am so glad CD took over the reins!

Hurry up April 11th!!! :D

Trueform
1st Apr 2006, 21:46
Does anyone with radeon 9800 pro have issues with the game? I have. It shuts down afte a while. I haven't even finished the demo yet :S
So now i'm trying to install new drivers...let's see how this will mess with my system :(

ut2004
1st Apr 2006, 21:54
Does anyone with radeon 9800 pro have issues with the game? I have. It shuts down afte a while. I haven't even finished the demo yet :S
So now i'm trying to install new drivers...let's see how this will mess with my system :(

If you us the ATI drivers that use .Net download the uninstaller first and run it http://support.ati.com/ics/support/DLRedirect.asp?fileIDExt=050553d40196ef109fff37cbb40aaf28&accountID=737&deptID=894

Joshorty
1st Apr 2006, 22:17
i'm awed:eek: and I did this PC stuff all on my own for the first time:eek: and nothin' went wrong (at least in my case, I was lucky:D ) no baddy/laggy movements at all! The graphics were still beautiful, even if it wasn't next-gen.

I tried setting the game to widescreen (and man, does it reveal the hidden sides on the left and right) but then it looks messed up since I have a fullscreen monitor, not a widescreen (which I want). It had to sacrifice losing a bit of picture on the left and right. The black bars wasn't there on cutscenes. I had the option to style it up by putting black bars though:D .

Anyway the graphics are GREAT!! Especially when she gets wet!! It shines on her skin and stuff!!:D The mouse was very handy in getting a good scenery of the enviroment and her. Oh my GOSH everything was beautiful that I had to have my own epilectic seizure over Lara and the enviroment:D

I have to say though..the controls are GREAT! a lot better!!....at least...keyboard was kinda disappointing...I had so much trouble...I even went to my friends house to get the "controller pad" that shapes like a PS2 one. It was better using that. A LOT better. The default keys are too far apart - -complicated in combat especially.

The people on the tech team didn't bother me as much as I thought it would:)

The score - -EVERYONE just has to agree with me - -it's GREAT! Especially the main menu one! It reminds me of the one from Hitman 2: Silent Assasin

Overall...this game right away makes me forget ALL about TR AOD. With all its authentic-ness in tombs and stuff compared to AOD is NOTHING but BETTER.

mikew
1st Apr 2006, 23:22
Just finished the demo. Loved it. Played on PC using the mouse for direction control with no problems at all. Beautiful graphics and scenery. I will definitely be buying it! Thank You.

TRBeth
2nd Apr 2006, 01:50
I'm afraid I have to agree with Turnip. When I first started seeing the trailers coming out, I realized that TR was just never going to be the same.

Even so, I was going to give this game that I love so very much all the chance. I was starting to plan for the upgrades my pc would need. Then, I downloaded the demo today.

I've been a fan since the very beginning, enjoying all of the previous TRs, of course some more than others, for the reasons that Turnip states. This version has basically ruined all that this game once was. The tombs are dark, black, grey and white pits with none of the colors, beauty or wonder that we all held our breaths to see each time a new level would start in previous games.

The game play is not new. If anyone has played the most recent Indiana Jone...which came out a few yrs ago, then you basically have the same annoying, "I have to constantly be thinking about my keyboard" gameplay to plow through the game.

Gone is Lara's grace in movement, replaced by monkey swinging and hanging. :mad:

Gone is beautiful music that fits Lara and tomb raiding so perfectly it took your breath away, never getting old or stale.

Gone is immersion into a high adventure, alone, with Lara; going to places and doing things that we can only dream of. Now we have a headset with childish chatter and moronic commenting over the headset, disrupting the gamer right when they are supposed to be awed by the sights and wonders.

Today is a sad day.

BrendaG
2nd Apr 2006, 02:30
Is there any way to slow Lara down when she is turning? I can't get her to face the direction I want without her turning 3 or 4 times in different directions. This is very aggravating. I wish they would have stayed with the old engine. Before you slam me, yes the graphics are good but I find the game play hard when I can't get her to face the right way. I can't find anything smooth about her movements. She's as jerky as Prince of Persia was. How can I slow her down? Thanks

John Carter
2nd Apr 2006, 03:33
Turn her with the mouse instead of the keyboard, in other words, press the forward key and just move the mouse in the direction you want her to go.

Legendary Lara Croft
2nd Apr 2006, 04:10

try to turn off full screen effects, see if it works, if not , also turn on v sync

Legendary Lara Croft
2nd Apr 2006, 04:13
*goes to play demo again....

I played it many times now, also found out that Eidos kept my favourite "dive in water from cliff" move, that was great!

John Carter
2nd Apr 2006, 04:26
*goes to play demo again....

I played it many times now, also found out that Eidos kept my favourite "dive in water from cliff" move, that was great!

Hey, how did you do that? I can't seem to figure out that keyboard combo.

BloodRayne
2nd Apr 2006, 04:29
you hit the space bar and then f right after to do the dive. So it's " space bar + F " in a sequence.

John Carter
2nd Apr 2006, 05:08
you hit the space bar and then f right after to do the dive. So it's " space bar + F " in a sequence.
Thanks!

jacky4566
2nd Apr 2006, 05:17
still down loading:( :(
started at 7pm and its now 10:30 and its 90%:(
going at 36 k/s for some reason maybe just slow sever?

hotrippr
2nd Apr 2006, 05:24
She obviously looks better, but her ass needs more junk in the trunk, from side view it is kinda flat, but looks good from behind. Seems that there is a next gen graphics option greyed out for demo...??? engine is terrific very smooth at high qual settings 1280X1024. Some of the graphics were a little dissapointing like the ropes and some shadows and textures. She lost her walk! That sucks she had a femme walk now is gone. Controls are a lil too much, kinda too many to put on a controller so you are forced to remap your keyboard.
Not bad but I would wait for the price to drop...especially that I am having trouble with securom7...I was lucky to get it to start the one time that I did. I am starting to see why people pirate. I would have been pissed if I had paid for the demo and it didnt work like it is supposed to...and yes I redowned cause I too got a corrupted one the first time.

tombfan19
2nd Apr 2006, 18:15
Demo is just great but its quite big :eek: . I expect the size like 250mb for a demo. Now i have the demo and i know its toooooo much for the content it has.

Legendary Lara Croft
2nd Apr 2006, 20:14

I did it with crouch, space than c to crouch, but I modified keys for myself so it may be different for you

Motionfield
2nd Apr 2006, 20:35
Posted this in an own thread but to keep it tidily:

Hi, First gotta say this demo really shows what Tomb Raider games should be. It looks to be far better than all the previous games combined. Almost everything I missed in the previous games seems to have been added/resolved in this game. I'm a picky gamer (and a game developer but for smaller games, but it helps finding small things) but I think I can provide som valuable feedback to the developers. I hope they read this.

I really loved the graphics, the physics, the movement, animations, dialogue and especially the music.

I found a few things that annoyed me plus a crash. The camera always seems to destroy games for me. It's okay in this game but I'd want a few improvements:

1. When you move Lara the camera seems to reset to a view behind her sometimes. I usually want a somewhat downwardslooking camera and having to fight the view the game wants all the time is really annoying.

2. The view seems to be centered around her feet when I run forward. They may be fine but I'd rather look at whats in front of her so it would be prefered to center slightly above or at her head.

3. When in manual firing mode the movementbuttons turn her instead of moving her. Why god why? I'd love to use that view and now its useless

Suggestion:

Would be nice to change viewing distance from laras head with the scroll wheel. Sometimes you want to be close, sometimes you want to be far...

The crash:

Was fiddling for a long while with the boxes in the big room with two locks for a big door a while into the demo and it crashed out to windows. Probably has to do with the physics.

That's all I found so far. I'll add if I come up with more. Others can add feedback here to so we have a single thread for the developers to look at.

Finally, I believe I will love this game! Good work Crystal Dynamics!

linden
2nd Apr 2006, 21:18
PC Demo Impressions:

The controls are horrible. They are even worse than AoD. AoD's bad controls were childrens bad controls compared to this.

The check point saving sucks. Its not even saving, its just a way to make this short game feel more longer. Lack of creativness i guess.

Lara cant walk, whcih is bad, she only runs headless around, or sneaks, like in CD's "own" game Legacy Of Kain. (They could have at least TRY to make something new besides LOK.)

The opening music is horrible techno, doesnt fit in Tomb Raider.

You cant go sideways or backwards with Lara, only forward.

DopeLenny
2nd Apr 2006, 22:20
The first thing that blew my mind was the graphic.. superb :D.. the surroundings.. the whater ( especially when lara gets wet :P) are superb.. i didn't like the controls at the begining and i felt a little bit dissapointed.. but after i got used to them it was really ok.. it's a more dynamic lara and this is very good :D.. i miss though the walking part.. it's stupid cause theres only the sneaking part :/ .. and also a thing that i don't like is the fact that there is no more -the look around- function (in the other series it was by default 0 ) cause you sometimes can't see clearly what is around you :( .I like the new moves.. she's more athletic :D. I also read somewhere.. someone was saying that he doesn't like the fact that she continualy comunicates with someone.. i agree with him.. it kinda makes that feeling that you're on you're own and that misterious vibe from some parts dissapear :(
But i can say that inspite of these minuses the game has also superb parts .. i'm a fan of the series from 96.. it's good to see Lara in the spotlight again.. everythings feels refreshing, new and good and i'm happy that Crystal Dynamics put Lara where she deserves to be :D in the top :D

spookn
3rd Apr 2006, 01:53
Game is GREAT! I am very happy with it. I started my gaming with TR, but it went down hill. They are back up to par with this one. Great graffikx, great game play, and great Laura!
Someone said something about being only able to use mouse. My stick works, but I find the mouse better.
I havn't looked foward to a game like this in a long time.
By the way, when is it coming out? Soon I hope

Rose662
3rd Apr 2006, 03:52
I downloaded the demo last night and I just played a bit of it.

So far, I have only moved Lara around (running, climbing, swimming,etc.). I haven't tried using her weapons or grappling hook.

Good: great graphics, music, and set up. I love the way she adjusts her boot and swats at flies when you're not moving her.

Bad: the controls are driving me crazy. I hate that she cannot walk, but I have figured out how to make her move in small steps. I have killed her four times already by accidently jumping off of the cliff and trying to jump while climbing the vines. Lara doing a handstand every time she climbs up on something is annoying.

Questions:

1. Does Lara have a goal in this demo? Does she actually find the tablet mentioned in the beginning or do we just move her around?

2. How do I get to the top by using the vines?

3. Is there a way to get to the rope hanging over the waterfall? If so, how?

Thanks. :)

rbfeik
3rd Apr 2006, 06:44
Questions:

1. Does Lara have a goal in this demo? - there is a puzzle at the end

Does she actually find the tablet mentioned in the beginning? - no

2. How do I get to the top by using the vines? - jump from vine to vine

3. Is there a way to get to the rope hanging over the waterfall? If so, how?

jump to the ledge

Thanks. :)

Hope thats what you wanted

The controls take some getting used to and I agree about the handstands. I hope she doesn't do one everytime in the game.

baylisst
3rd Apr 2006, 07:32
thats wierd about the handstands. most of the time she just hopped up from her shimmying position, and only did a handstand once for me.... not sure what i did to get her to do it though :confused:

also about the checkpoints, i think those will be quite useful. you can still save your game normally like in the previous TRs, but if you forget to save for a while (which i used to do ALOT) then it means there's a handy backup

although, my main fear for this game, and others have mentioned it aswell, is that it may not be as long as previous TRs (especially TR4). i never seem to have problems with controls, even AOD only took me an hour before i got "immunized" against slow responsiveness and i was pressing buttons a second or so before i needed to.... if you see what i mean ;)

also, aimed @ tonimeer but kinda offtopic (and cheeky :D), what scheme is that for XP?

L Croft
3rd Apr 2006, 08:03
she does the handstand if you hold down jump but jumps up quickly if you just tap jump.

baylisst
3rd Apr 2006, 08:06
ah, right, have you tried just tapping the space bar because i didn't find i had to tap it quickly and hope for the best

hotrippr
3rd Apr 2006, 21:49
Effects are cool, get lara wet and watch her clothes dry.
Why no surround sound??????
Yes people dont hold down jump she will handstand. Just tap it.

dmphilips
3rd Apr 2006, 22:07
I liked it and will probably try to scrape together the cash for the game.

That being said,I don't know if anyone will ever read this, but I have one significant complaint.

When Lara is hanging on ledges, chains, poles etc. the movement keys remain camera relative. because of camera angles at times, I found Lara jumping in the wrong direction, or wanting to climb up or down when I wanted her to shimmy sideways.

The movement keys should really be relative to Lara in these instances.

I want to push the key that tells Lara what to do period. I do not want to have to consider the camera angle then decide which direction key I need and then push it.

I wonder if anyone that could do anything about it will actually see this.

tha_mattster
3rd Apr 2006, 22:13
I agree with what a few people gave said about it going in a less interesting direction.

It really feels like you're on a tourist trail rather than discovering things that have been unseen for centuries. The magic goggles that reveal the use of the scenery is just ridiculous and totally unrealistic. I remember playing the older tomb raiders and getting stuck for days because it challenged your brain. I'm not even great at puzzles but whenever I entered a new area in the demo it was so obvious what I would have to do, which meant the action felt a bit like a chore. I would rather explore and uncover things myself rather than have the game shout them out to me with flashing icons!

As it is, the graphics are great and I like the movements ( but not the super fast flips that even an olympic gymnast could'nt do! ) The new lara is very nice but she has lost her upper class quirks that made her original and charming.

I hope the later levels are more complex and less straight forward so I can give it 9/10, but if not, then I give it 7.5/10. The main flaw is level design really. More mystery, challenge and complexity next time please! A good game nonetheless.

lllll
3rd Apr 2006, 22:13
Yes that sucks a lot, you think you have alligned her right and then she jumps another direction.

Put the camera setting on YES on the first 2 options, that will make things a bit better.

hotrippr
3rd Apr 2006, 22:14
I agree it is annoying, specially on ropes or chains. On ledges it doesnt bother cause she will reach then you know you are pressing the right direction.

I dont think anyone is actually reading these posts that is a developer, maybe when all the e-mails arrive to tech support then they would change it.

lllll
3rd Apr 2006, 22:23
I hope the later levels are more complex and less straight forward

I wished.....but now I have completed the game in the most difficult setting, I must say this was the easiest game I have played in years, also one of the shortest. Sure I can go back and try to find the 12-13 secrets I missed...and then do the time trials while wearing different outfits but what's the point of that?

Tomorrow I am beginning to play The Last Revelation again after 2 years, will take me about 1 month to complete and with much more effort :cool:

dmphilips
3rd Apr 2006, 22:23

I don't understand why you liked taking hours to figure out what to do. Especially since, what to do was almost invariably, find what obscure corner the next switch was located in and pull it.

I love that this demo's puzzles are geographically smaller, and make more sense than all of the levers opening doors in entirely different places.

As mentioned in my own post, my only beef is the controls always being camera oriented when they should be oriented to Lara.

I suppose we will agree to disagree

lllll
3rd Apr 2006, 22:26

I agree 100%.

dmphilips
3rd Apr 2006, 22:31
It really feels like you're on a tourist trail rather than discovering things that have been unseen for centuries. The magic goggles that reveal the use of the scenery is just ridiculous and totally unrealistic. I remember playing the older tomb raiders and getting stuck for days because it challenged your brain. I'm not even great at puzzles but whenever I entered a new area in the demo it was so obvious what I would have to do, which meant the action felt a bit like a chore. I would rather explore and uncover things myself rather than have the game shout them out to me with flashing icons!

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot about the magic goggles. I didn't bother to use them, as it was clear that they would suck all the fun out of the game. There should be an option to turn of the flashing icons as well.

If you can't find that painfully obvious weird metal disk and grapple to it without the ridiculous flashing icon, then you shouldn't play the game. Those of us that can find it should be allowed to enjoy the experience and not have it handed to them.

tha_mattster
3rd Apr 2006, 22:35
I don't understand why you liked taking hours to figure out what to do. Especially since, what to do was almost invariably, find what obscure corner the next switch was located in and pull it.

Figuring out what to do is the pleasure that puzzles give! If that element is removed you have a dull video game version of a Paint by Numbers painting. Though this can be enjoyed for the action I suppose.

movieman
4th Apr 2006, 00:27

I'd say the opposite. Before this one, the 'Tomb Raider' games always seemed like kids' games to me, because kids are usually the only people who can spend hours trying to figure out some puzzle that requires you to run around until you spot a lever in a dark corner, or repeat some silly jump until you finally press the button exactly on the right pixel to get across it.

I've only played the demo so far, but as an adult who doesn't have unlimited time to spend on games, this is the first 'Tomb Raider' that's actually seemed like fun. I did get a free copy of the last game with my sound card, but I only got half-way through the second level before the absolutely abysmal controls and the 'ok, you don't know what you're doing yet and the controls suck ass, so we're going to stick you in a hotel with some annoyingly difficult jumps and then fill it with poison gas so you can't even take your time over it' nonsense got to me and I quit.

This one, on the other hand, the only time I felt like I was randomly pressing keys in the hope that I might eventually get her to move in the right way was when climbing chains, where I still can't figure out how to determine which direction she'll jump. So while maybe it doesn't appeal to the 'hardcore' players, to me this is a huge step forwards.

RAZMAT
4th Apr 2006, 05:00
she can still do them:Di have'nt been able to do them yet on pc.i cant find sprint either.

RAZMAT
4th Apr 2006, 05:05
Well... I almost cried when I played it because I could hardly move Lara and the graphics were rubbish. Think extremely jagged edges and rubbish detail.

Then I figured that you had to use the mouse, so I can now control her.

Then I found how to adjust the resolution, so now the game looks beautiful.

The controls take some getting used to, but I think it's quite good. I would prefer not using a mouse, but that would probably mean the whole grid thing again. And I'll miss the old system but it's OK.

One final thing... my computer isn't quite fast enough (CPU speed falls just short of recommended) so it's a little jerky, but fabulous nevertheless. Great work, CD.i can do it all on a gamepad if i use the axis rotation option on the camera setting though it seems more accurate to man. aim and shoot with the mouse.

baylisst
4th Apr 2006, 06:26
I've only played the demo so far, but as an adult who doesn't have unlimited time to spend on games, this is the first 'Tomb Raider' that's actually seemed like fun. I did get a free copy of the last game with my sound card, but I only got half-way through the second level before the absolutely abysmal controls and the 'ok, you don't know what you're doing yet and the controls suck ass, so we're going to stick you in a hotel with some annoyingly difficult jumps and then fill it with poison gas so you can't even take your time over it' nonsense got to me and I quit.

lol, nice one :D

come to think of it there wasn't a sprint.... s'pose it would make puzzles like the giant squishy bricks pointless