PDA

View Full Version : Which copyprotection will it use?

ZF4HP500
30th Mar 2006, 09:15
As the title says, I'd like to know which copyprotection Tomb Raider Legend uses? There are certain protections systems that I will avoid due to hardware conflicts, so If devs or publishers frequent this forum, could they shed some light on the matter?

sorcerer
30th Mar 2006, 09:47
SecureRom

oxygenuk
30th Mar 2006, 11:19
im glad its not starforce crap

sorcerer
30th Mar 2006, 12:07
Starforce protection can destroy your PC!

ZF4HP500
30th Mar 2006, 12:14
SecureRom
If that is confirmed info, then great.

munchkin
30th Mar 2006, 12:20

how is your penguin doing that? :) it is kinda cool :cool:

beccax

dhama
30th Mar 2006, 12:25

How can any copy protection on a CD/DVD have an adverse effect on a PC? :confused:

sorcerer
30th Mar 2006, 13:00
how is your penguin doing that? :) it is kinda cool :cool:

beccax

10x! :p If you have a better look, you can see a LINK on my image. Write that link in your browser, check that site out and make you own signature! :thumbsup:

Regarding STARFORCE - it`s the worst copy protection of all time. I heard that StarForce slows your drives and the game which use starforce is loading very hard and stuff... it crashes, etc!

munchkin
30th Mar 2006, 15:50
10x! :p If you have a better look, you can see a LINK on my image. Write that link in your browser, check that site out and make you own signature! :thumbsup:

Regarding STARFORCE - it`s the worst copy protection of all time. I heard that StarForce slows your drives and the game which use starforce is loading very hard and stuff... it crashes, etc!

thanks i' will :) :p

beccaxx

maniac44
30th Mar 2006, 16:58
How can any copy protection on a CD/DVD have an adverse effect on a PC? :confused:

Here's (http://www.computergamingworld.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148942&did=1) an article about Straforce. There's also an article in the April issue of Computer Gaming World about what Starforce does. And how to get rid of it.

Ubi Soft uses it (Far Cry, Splinter Cell). If you put a Ubi Soft game on your machine, you have Starforce on your machine.

And here's (http://www.glop.org/starforce/)a website about the whole Starforce bruhaha.

WraithStar
30th Mar 2006, 17:08
SecureRom

Crud:( SecuRom doesn't like my PC for some reason. I have absolutely nothing that could even conceivably be used for piracy, yet SecuRom flags my machine and I have to e-mail them and wait a few days for them to send me a new exe that works. They were very fast once I e-mailed them, but it took me forever to find out where to e-mail, and for $40 I should not have to go through all of that just to play the game. I've played several of UbiSoft's games and I can't recall having any problems with StarForce.

PAsK
30th Mar 2006, 17:47
I'm glad TRL won't be protected by a STARFORCE copyprotection. I always fight with that when I play Prince Of Persia 3!!! It's horrible!

hotrippr
1st Apr 2006, 07:35
Crud:( SecuRom doesn't like my PC for some reason. I have absolutely nothing that could even conceivably be used for piracy, yet SecuRom flags my machine and I have to e-mail them and wait a few days for them to send me a new exe that works. They were very fast once I e-mailed them, but it took me forever to find out where to e-mail, and for $40 I should not have to go through all of that just to play the game. I've played several of UbiSoft's games and I can't recall having any problems with StarForce.
I also have had problems with securom on Lego Starwars. They sent me about three different executables and still I have problems. Lego Starwars is terribly full of bugs anyway, I just hope TRL doesnt have the Dual core CPU problems as legoSW. If anyone ever has a problem after they buy this game:

Right click on the TRL.exe and launch ANALYSIS it will save a file to your c drive, then right click on that file and send to compressed ZIP folder, then attatch the zipped folder to your email and send to: support@securom.com

I think it is IMPORTANT to note whcih version of Securom will be on the game, anyone know??? LegoSW had version7 and it was horrible for many users. But was a game only dist by eidos and created by Giant.

I also hope that Conroe wont give this game problems. (Next gen Intel CPU, that will bankrupt AMD).

hotrippr
1st Apr 2006, 07:40
Man you arent that much of a pc gamer are you. Starforce may run with no problems, but it will leave your system vunerable to attacks.

Kozey
1st Apr 2006, 12:28
The SS vulnerability risk is bull$$$$. The only major problem is that it has lots of bugs and tends to cateogrize perfectly legal copies as pirated and blocks them, which is quite bad nontheless. Otherwise it's the single one copy protection that is effective - the new versions are unpenetrable and it has no loopholes - no recent major SF game has been cracked. It's natural that it will cause some uprising - but once the bugs get fixed i suppose it will be around more and more.

CyCro
1st Apr 2006, 13:51
The SS vulnerability risk is bull$$$$.

You haven't heard of the rootkit vulnerability issues then?

lllll
1st Apr 2006, 14:09
Securerom is one of the easiest to crack too....in fact they have already cracked it....and the game isnt even in the stores :rolleyes:

Mike_B
1st Apr 2006, 14:49
The SS vulnerability risk is bull$$$$. The only major problem is that it has lots of bugs and tends to cateogrize perfectly legal copies as pirated and blocks them, which is quite bad nontheless. Otherwise it's the single one copy protection that is effective - the new versions are unpenetrable and it has no loopholes - no recent major SF game has been cracked. It's natural that it will cause some uprising - but once the bugs get fixed i suppose it will be around more and more.

Well they better fix those bugs fast then. Having just bought both Splinter Cell pandora tomorrow and Chaos Theory (the last one using Starforce) both my dvd and cd drive vanished :mad:

Triplexdread
1st Apr 2006, 15:51

That has not been confirmed!!!!!

TR Legend uses Securom v7

hotrippr
1st Apr 2006, 17:16
You guys defending starforce obviously have not read much about it, go to Boycott Starforce wesite and other anti starforce wesites, also read tne many forums out there where people have been f-d by starforce, I will NEVER buy a starforce game, and I urge everyone out there to do the same.

The latest SRversion 7 has blacklisted latest emulators, people are now having trouble emulating Starwars empire at war with the latest patch which upgraded the securom7 to something like securom 7.00098. Which I am guessing will have the latest version 7 on TRL, if not I am sure they will patch it, the solution would be not to get the patch.

I have yet to copy a game for illegal purposes, the best thing about the emulators is having virtual drives and never having to use the physical disc. This saves wear on your disc and no more hassle of having to switch discs in and out of your drives.

And of course Starforce is the uncrackable protection out there. I can make protection like them also where no one including legit customers can use the disc, they are not the best when legitimate customers cant even use their original discs, this is actually the worst. Anyone can make a disc unusable, I would do it for half the price as starforce, its called a microwave, I would charge games a quarter of what starforce charges and just pop every disc in the Nuker for a few seconds.

Triplexdread
1st Apr 2006, 17:19
You said "you guys defending it"

If you infact stating myself, I simply said it has not been proven as yet if it is good or bad,There are many different opnions about this software and untill some conclusive proof has been shown if the protect does use a kind of malware to fc*k up optical drives where'as you are welcome to your opinion Dont assume that everything you hear is true until you have experienced it yourself.

hotrippr
1st Apr 2006, 17:28
You said "you guys defending it"

If you infact stating myself, I simply said it has not been proven as yet if it is good or bad,There are many different opnions about this software and untill some conclusive proof has been shown if the protect does use a kind of malware to fc*k up optical drives where'as you are welcome to your opinion Dont assume that everything you hear is true until you have experienced it yourself.
Oh yes it has been proven. Not sure what kind of press coverage you want but no it hasnt been run on the eve news that starforce is really bad for your pc. But do some research and youll see that it has been proven to do everything that has been posted throughout this entire thread.

Triplexdread
1st Apr 2006, 17:42
Oh really then why have they not been shutdown then?

And why are software houses still installing it as a protection for their product

Why did no one come forward when asked to prove it. That was an open suggestion by the company BTW

I'm like you I dont agree in the software at all, but we arent the ones asking for it are we? We are and always will be the end user. You can boycott it all you want but for every person that has problems after installation there are 500 others that dont.

I have followed these threads for months concerning the installation to the Ghost recon Advanced warfighter franchise. And nothing as yet is Absolute solid proof that these things are for certain causing problems with peoples hardware. How many optical drives dya think are sold every year?

Hundreds? Thousands?

The answer is tens of thousands! How many on average do you think will go faulty? Couple hundred maybe? Wrong the answer is about 4 in every 10 within a 12month period. Now how many people who own those drives feel like blaming it on a piece of software. Hmmm I wonder.

Starforce has not been proven at anytime (in my knowledge) to have to date any malicious software coding in it at all. That would be a totally stupid thing to do dont you think?

"I know" says the chairman of the company, lets make a anticopying code to install on PC's that screws with DVD/CD-Roms so after a few months we can get sued by thousands of people and the company we sold it too because we simply dont have a clue what we're doing.

Show me that physical proof now I want to see it!!

hotrippr
1st Apr 2006, 17:58
Come on, you are being ridiculous and naive. Do your own research. And not every one saw troubles with sony/bmg cds either. Just because a few arent having problems doesnt mean the problems arent there. And a couple games have taken it off completely, it has just begun. And I have to disagree that for every 1 person that has had trouble with starforce there are about 500 that havent, now you are stretching. I would say that for every 1 person that has had trouble there are about 10 others that have the same trouble.

Sounds like you are not on the side of the consumer here. Maybe employed by Starforce are you. Well fact is I have sent emails to every publisher stating that I will not ever buy a game with starforce on it, they know that for every 1 person that goes thru this much trouble there are at least 25 that feel the same way. So I urge all of you to do the same.

But obviously you are going to use starforce games, or at least try...good luck.

Mike_B
1st Apr 2006, 18:03
Show me that physical proof now I want to see it!!

If you've played games that have the protection then you know it's faulty. Like I said since I installed Chaos Theory with starforce protection I've had nothing but problem. Either my drives just dissappear other times it just doesn't read the disc etc.

I'm not saying they're doing it on purpose but if they're not they're really lousy at what they do. The reason why software companies want to use it because it's very effective. Simple as that.

As for the security compromise:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/legal/5m-class-action-lawsuit-against-ubisoft-for-starforce-164303.php

Although personally I don't see why they're sueing Ubisoft instead of Starforce and why they're going for such high money claims personally I think it hurts the credibility if your going to demand 5 million dollar for damages.

lllll
1st Apr 2006, 18:07
Starforce is faulty and affects many systems, not all of course. That is why developers are starting to avoid it and use SecureRom, they have experienced these things themselves too and know many are now avoiding buying a game with Starforce protection.
SecureRom, like I said is not harmful for your system, but easy to crack.

Developers can't win in this.

Triplexdread
1st Apr 2006, 18:10
LOL

Me, Naive?

I can assure you sir I am certainly not that. I have for many years not been playing Games published by UBI and have as i'm sure you would expect, got scores and scores of friends within the gaming community of which they too have many many friends aswell. Not one of those people have ever even mentioned a problem about the affore mentioned protection in any context.

And contrary to your insinuation that I may work for Starforce, well you could never be so wrong in all your life as to assume that. I will continue to play the excellent games that UBi has to offer and indeed Eidos. As two rivel companies they are at the top of their field in what they do, however I will not stop using a game that has a software protection in it simply because a load of wimpering little children and adolescents consider it a conspiring piece of malware at the same instance their DVDroms go kapuut.

The link I mentioned before is below read it. No proof was ever brought forward at any time!!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28442

I will add this as an edit;

Did it ever occur to you that the the protection is doing its job well and the people that make millions everyyear out of defeating copyright protection are losing money and are so making such a fuss. Hense this heated yet civil debate is something which is frankly obsure and unneede ;)

Kozey
1st Apr 2006, 18:13
You guys defending starforce obviously have not read much about it, go to Boycott Starforce wesite and other anti starforce wesites, also read tne many forums out there where people have been f-d by starforce, I will NEVER buy a starforce game, and I urge everyone out there to do the same.

The latest SRversion 7 has blacklisted latest emulators, people are now having trouble emulating Starwars empire at war with the latest patch which upgraded the securom7 to something like securom 7.00098. Which I am guessing will have the latest version 7 on TRL, if not I am sure they will patch it, the solution would be not to get the patch.

I have yet to copy a game for illegal purposes, the best thing about the emulators is having virtual drives and never having to use the physical disc. This saves wear on your disc and no more hassle of having to switch discs in and out of your drives.

And of course Starforce is the uncrackable protection out there. I can make protection like them also where no one including legit customers can use the disc, they are not the best when legitimate customers cant even use their original discs, this is actually the worst. Anyone can make a disc unusable, I would do it for half the price as starforce, its called a microwave, I would charge games a quarter of what starforce charges and just pop every disc in the Nuker for a few seconds.
That's not quite the case - sites of the like "Boycott Starforce" etc. have quite some interests standing behind them - the piratery is an industry of itself and Starforce is pretty much screwing it completely - of course they'll be willing to make a devil out of SF. I haven't seen quite that much complaints on truly independent sites or on the boards of the actual games. That's about the "Starforce screws your PC" part.

About legal games not running with SF - yeah, that's more of a valid point - although it's stil very exaggerating to say that it's so for everybody and it's like a microwave - still -that's quite a problem and renders SF pretty much a bad choice atm, but once it gets improved it WILL be around more and more often.

L Croft
1st Apr 2006, 18:15
well all I can say about starforce is that I am using a computer which is 2 months old. I am very careful about security etc and recentally my computer has been acting up. And I look and guess what i have installed, starforce, although no games at all only demos. I mean why do the need to copy protect a demo, demos are free. :confused:

WraithStar
1st Apr 2006, 18:27
TR Legend uses Securom v7

Is this confirmed? Also, for reference, does anyone know what version of Securom was used in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2? Straight out of the box, the game worked. Then I got the patch, which updated Securom, and the game gave me errors saying it couldn't read the CD. I reinstalled the game without the patch and it worked again. I am really hoping that I don't have this error with Legend.

well all I can say about starforce is that I am using a computer which is 2 months old. I am very careful about security etc and recentally my computer has been acting up. And I look and guess what i have installed, starforce, although no games at all only demos. I mean why do the need to copy protect a demo, demos are free. :confused:

Someone told me earlier that the demo has to have the copy protection in it, otherwise people can crack the actual game easier. I don't know if this is true or not, but it makes sense.

Triplexdread
1st Apr 2006, 18:42
Is this confirmed? Also, for reference, does anyone know what version of Securom was used in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2? Straight out of the box, the game worked. Then I got the patch, which updated Securom, and the game gave me errors saying it couldn't read the CD. I reinstalled the game without the patch and it worked again. I am really hoping that I don't have this error with Legend.

Yes it is confirmed. I'm playing it ;)

Someone told me earlier that the demo has to have the copy protection in it, otherwise people can crack the actual game easier. I don't know if this is true or not, but it makes sense.

Not sure about that as i'm not a cracker, however it would make sense as for companies to protect their investment and try and protect partial coding of the game aswell to stop giving headstarts before the game is released :)

hotrippr
2nd Apr 2006, 02:11
Securom strikes again. Looks like I wont be buying this game as the securom is giving all the same troubles as it did with lego starwars, I will be contacting securom and post back here. Oh well:(

Triplexdread
2nd Apr 2006, 02:29
Sorry to hear that m8 :(

hotrippr
13th Apr 2006, 04:30
Now ubi has stopped using starforce. I have a better idea, make games priced so people will opt to run in and buy the game at a cheap price rather than wait days, weeks or months for a download.

http://www.techpowerup.com/?10677

Shehi
13th Apr 2006, 08:27
At one end one party tries to encode/protect media, at the other another party decodes/decrypts it... I don't think there will be any unbreakable protection methods in future, after it is all human being who codes and decodes the same thing. This strange competition will last forever I say... Maybe experience earned in this battle will serve mankind somehow, someday :P

movieman
13th Apr 2006, 10:06
That's not quite the case - sites of the like "Boycott Starforce" etc. have quite some interests standing behind them

Yes, the interests of the people who buy PC games.

As far as I'm concerned, as someone who makes a living programming computers, Starforce is plain evil. No-one should ever be installing drivers to run games which hack into system code: some of us do real work on our PCs as well as run games, and I for one am not going to let some half-assed 'copy protection' scam screw with my operating system.

If a game uses Starforce, I just don't buy it... and a lot of other people are now doing the same. No matter how good the game is, it just ain't worth the risk of some dumb code screwing up my PC. I'd also add that the recent reports of Starforce posting links to pirate downloads of games which don't use Starforce hasn't exactly endeared it to many people.

The funny thing is, I saw a list of Starforced games a few weeks ago, and there are only two games I'd have wanted to buy anyway: it seems to only be used to 'protect' games that few people would want to pirate.

I would say that Securom is also a pain in that it sticks files on the hard disk with invalid filenames, so Windows won't copy them. That was annoying when my system drive failed a few weeks ago and I had to copy all my files over to a new disk... it would get part way through copying then stop complaining about being able to copy the Securom files. But in comparison to Starforce that's a minor issue.

sup2069
13th Apr 2006, 14:09

Have you tried reformating? Reinstalling windows?