PDA

View Full Version : some questions as i finish my first fm

the taffer
25th Mar 2006, 04:10
Found the answers for questions 1 and 2.

3) I made an objective where you had to kidnap someone. I had to play around with this a little more because this did not work at all. I tried using questvartraps and reading up online about it but not much. How do i make it objective complete when i pick him up AND bring him to a certain point, not just pick him up.

4)I made the person you had to kidnap, his object name a certain one but it does not show up. I think i need to add in the text somehow but not sure.

5) All my ambients are working fine but one. When you stand outside the door of this one house it plays an ambient that i dont even have in there at all. It plays in a very small area but it disrupts some of the outside and some of the inside ambient. Let me know what you guys think.

Once again thanks to anyone that helps, I appreciate you taking your time to help someone who is knew to this.

R_Soul
25th Mar 2006, 20:08
3)
Bring an AI to a location (roombrush):
Create a new Room (Open the Object Heirarchy. From the 'Show Tree' menu at the top, select 'Rooms'. Click on the 'New' button. If it aks 'Concrete Room?' say Yes).
Create a brush of this room around the place the AI is to be brought to.
Build Rooms Database

Open the AIs properties and add S > Scripts. Remove any scripts in there, and in the top field, put TrigRoomObject
(Leave the Don't Inherit box blank).

Link the AI to the Room with a Route flavour.

Link the AI to a QuestVarTrap (ControlDevice).
Add to the QVT the property 'Trap > Quest Var'.
In this put: =1:goal_state_X where X is the goal number.

If you initially made goal X as a 'steal an object' goal, use the commands:
quest_delete goal_type_X
and
quest_delete goal_target_X
This will ensure that the goal will not be triggered by simply picking up the AI.

4) Giving a name to an AI:
I assume you mean a name to overwirte the default of 'Unconcious Body'
Add to the AI the property 'Inventory > Object Name'
Put name_ABC

Open Thief2\RES\strings.crf with WinZip, or WinRar etc and extract the file 'objnames.str' to Thief2\strings (create this folder if it doesn't already exist).
Open this file with a text editor and add the line: name_ABC: "XYZ" (you must surround XYZ with double quotes).
Replace 'XYZ' with the name that is to appear when you pick up the AI.
'ABC' can be anything you want, as long as it matches what you put in the Object Name property.

You'll probably have to save your mission and restart Dromed for the change to take effect.

5) We need more information

the taffer
25th Mar 2006, 21:26
Awesome. what I did is look at the OM that came w/ thief and wow, I was really close on making the kidnap thing work. For question 5, here is all the info i can give you. outside i have ambient m02_cicads and on the inside i have m01tones. The inside of course is 1 brush. The outside looks like this
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, _____
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,door to second house ^ |
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,|____
door to first house and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,,*,,,,,|,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$
where ambient is messed up --------.-----*-->|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.,,@,,*,@|,,,,,,,,$
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,*,,,,,|______
The first brush is marked w/ "*",,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,*,,,,,*
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...... *****

The second brush is marked w/ "." (period)
The ambient sounds are marked as "@" on the outside
This is very close to what it looks like not exactly.
I have checked to make sure the ambients are playing certain ones but still i get one that I do not even have in there. The one on the inside is marked as "$". The lower left $ is to make sure no outside ambients are inside and then the upper right hand one is the one in the middle of the room. Both are the same ambients, of course the lower left one has a smaller radius.

Once again, I do thank you guys for helping me out w/ this it means a lot because it is hard to find info online about most of this stuff. I know this might be a little much so I dont really except someone to answer it soon or at all lol.

Had to make a couple of changes because the visual I gave was messed up. I had to put the "," to make it look in order.

nielsen74
28th Mar 2006, 08:39
Insted of all thouse ,,,,,,,| and what not, make a screen_dump of DromEd, you go to the area in qustion, then in the command box type in "screen_dump" (no"") that will make a file in the main thief folder callde .pcx, oppen this up in any picture edit program, then resize it to 640 x 480 pixels (as that is the max size aloude for most forums) save the picture as a .GIF or .JPEG file, then upload that at a site like Photobucket Image Hosting (http://photobucket.com/) or ImageShack (http://www.imageshack.us/) (at these her you can make a FREE Acount) Generate HTML or IMG code, copy that and then pastle it in to your post, it is a lot easyer to see what you meen :D

the taffer
30th Mar 2006, 00:07
It does not matter anymore lol, I was fooling around with some stuff and w/ a tutorial. I screwed up my mission so it said load failed, then I deleted it. I did not know there was a backup until later though. But I don not care at least I know a lot about this now. anyways, thanks for the info I will use it later on if something comes up like that again.