PDA

View Full Version : A Nvidia Driver Question

Dazzo1987
25th Mar 2006, 00:17
Well basically im not bery good with updating my drivers, think i have a 77.7 something, and i gather the newest driver is 84.21. So has anyone played games like this on this driver and had any problems. Cos when ive tried to install drivers before ive had problems, so its kinda put me of updating my drivers.

And i gather this is is what you do when you want to install a driver:

Disable firewalls, unistall old drivers, and install new one. that right??

needless to say im confused :confused:

ADE 1
25th Mar 2006, 03:37
Hi. Updating your nVidia drivers isn't too much of a chore but before you do it is important that you have a driver clearner application installed. (I use Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5 - it's free and you'll be able to find it through a Google search). Once that's installed, download the latest drivers from the nVidia site (I'm currently using the latest 84.21 and have had no issues with them). Then remove your existing drivers through the Add/Remove option in the Control Panel of XP. It will then tell you that a reboot is required. Proceed with this but make sure you reboot in Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode use Driver Cleaner and select nVidia in the cleaning filter. This will remove all traces of your existing driver (eg. registry entrys and folders) and will ensure that there are no conflicts when you install the new drivers. When that's finished, reboot normally into XP. It will probably tell you it's found new hardware (meaning your graphics card). Just click Cancel when this appears and ignore the "your new hardware may not work properly" part too). Disable any firewall and antivirus package you have installed (I also make sure that I am not connected to the internet whilst I'm updating). Then just double-click the new drivers file which you downloaded and follow the instructions. Once done, it will tell you that a reboot is required again. Do this and configure your driver options through the nVidia control panel as usual. You may also want to download Enhancer which is basically a program that you use instead of the nVidia control panel to change driver settings and create/amend profiles. It's much simpler to use and also has clear help text about every possible setting. Anyway, hope this helps and post back on how you get on.

Dazzo1987
25th Mar 2006, 15:58
Thx alot dude, did all the things you said and it looked liked it worked, all my games look to be working. Nice to know im up to date now. Thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:thumbsup:

Broadside
25th Mar 2006, 16:31
Were you having a problem with the 77.77 drivers and CSF then ? I am using the 77.77 drivers and have no issues at all.

Dazzo1987
25th Mar 2006, 17:45
nope, just read other threads, saying have they got the latest driver, and i wasl iek what driver do i even have. so i though i'd better get up o date, hopefully i will have no probs.

cuts
25th Mar 2006, 18:36
im running 84.21 with zero problems with game with my 6600gt

Broadside
25th Mar 2006, 20:56
Dazzo - just because everybody else says go and get the new driver it is not always the best thing to do, particularly, as in your case, you did not have any problems to start with anyway. Only get new drivers if you have problems because the performance benefits of a new nvidia driver are often minimal in terms of FPS (particularly with older cards) and may, in some cases, make things worse. Luckily it worked for you, but don't always follow the crowd just because they yell the loudest :thumbsup:

Dazzo1987
25th Mar 2006, 21:31
Dazzo - just because everybody else says go and get the new driver it is not always the best thing to do, particularly, as in your case, you did not have any problems to start with anyway. Only get new drivers if you have problems because the performance benefits of a new nvidia driver are often minimal in terms of FPS (particularly with older cards) and may, in some cases, make things worse. Luckily it worked for you, but don't always follow the crowd just because they yell the loudest :thumbsup:

Bloody hell just tried to play the game now, and like every 6 seconds during game play it like jolts for a sec, and its very annoying. Will have to see if it effects other games or not, didt have any slow down on COD2 mutiplayer. So dont know what to do now, as supposedly you are supposed to keep yer drivers up to date, so what i do keep it or uninstall it again? And anyone give me a link to a site with all nvidia drivers on, so i can try other ones. grrrrrrrr im annoyed now. :mad:

Well just had a go at another game called the The Regiment, and went to a level which was really slow and had to turn down the graphics to medium, and ive just gone on and its quite fast now and playable with settings on high. So it must had done some good. Man dont know what to do, can hardly keep changing drivers when i want to play commandos. :eek:

ADE 1
25th Mar 2006, 22:16
Hi again mate. Go and look at Guru3d.com - they have all of the nVidia drivers on there for download. Suggest you first go onto the forums and check out each one relating to a specific driver. You may find info on there re. performance and the card you have (which was?). I agree with the other post about new drivers and older cards but I also know it's a complete pain reinstalling and installing drivers until you find one that works best. Anyway, check out Guru3d and hopefully you find some help on there.

Dazzo1987
25th Mar 2006, 22:19
well ihave 6600 GT 256 MB which isnt to bad, and then say i buy a game like Oblivian, and off course it wont run great, how am i supposed to know if its the driver? i mean i can hardly go around checking every driver, or should newer drivers be better with newer games. :confused:

JUst about too see how it plays on cod2 single player

Broadside
25th Mar 2006, 23:16
What is the rest of your system setup, RAM, CPU, Sound Card etc ?

Dazzo1987
26th Mar 2006, 12:20
i have 1024 RAM, 2.6AMD processor and not sure about my sound card, its nothing special though.

So is there a older driver which is better for my card? as maybe these newer drivers are better for the 7 series of Nvidia graphics cards.

Broadside
26th Mar 2006, 13:53
Your system seems fine for running the game. Were the 77.77 drivers working OK before you changed them? If so I would just go back to those. Definately a case of if it aint broke don't fix it !

Dazzo1987
26th Mar 2006, 15:52
well just had another go on commanods, and turned the resloution down abit as i did have it pretty high, and it now plays as it did before, and doesnt really look any different. So i will probably just complete this game and see if i have any trouble with any others.

oh and do u think my pc will play oblivian ok? (abit off topic i know)

Broadside
26th Mar 2006, 17:44
It will probably play Oblivion, but not at high quality graphics settings eg. you may need to run with no AA or AF and at a lower resolution eg. 1024x768. From what I hear Oblivion is quite a demanding game to run and needs high end PCs for stutter free perfect graphics.

Check out the system requirements on the oblivion website or in their forums.