PDA

View Full Version : Abbingdon?

Miss Natla
17th Mar 2006, 12:50
I've asked this on the Tomb Raider forums as well, and I can't find a way to contact Crystal Dynamics or Eidos about it, I thought posting here might help me. :D

Does anybody know anything about this "Abbingdon" that Lara's the countess of nowadays? I ask because my relatives live in Abingdon, which is a town in England, and how super-cool would it be if she was the countess of their town? However, that's only spelt with one 'b', so I'm not sure if "Abbingdon" is supposed to be made-up or what - I've searched for other places called Abbingdon in the world, but I've only been able to find a cluster of shops somewhere in the US (kinda high up, on the east coast, about level with Chicago) bearing the name...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John Carter
17th Mar 2006, 14:01
I'd say with the extra "b" that's it's made up so as to avoid possible legal entanglements, but still have the ring of authentic Britishness about it. (anyone remember French archaeologist Jean-Yves L'Empereur suing Eidos for using his name and likeness in TR4?)

We have an "Abingdon" down the road a ways (and a Bedford up the road, and all other sorts of UK-place names familiar to the people who settled this area), so I am fairly certain that's the standard real world spelling.

Chris Daly
17th Mar 2006, 14:40
I know about this because my parents became engaged
at Abingdon Hammer.... er ...now thank goodness they did:D

I recall visiting this town in about 1968 :p

Miss Natla
17th Mar 2006, 20:25
LOL - you think they would have spruced up the name a little more than just adding an extra B, wouldn't you? ;) Still, never mind - phonetically, Lara's the Countess of Abingdon, and that's good enough for me! :D