PDA

View Full Version : I played the PS2 Demo! *Spoilers*

Jsc
15th Mar 2006, 20:31
Guys, I just finished playing the PS2 demo, which I went through a lot of trouble to get. Anyway it's great!

Some thhings that happend are:

when you jump, you just have to run to the edge of a ledge and push X and lara will jump and grab the ledge automaticaly.

Another thing is, there is no overshooting or under shooting a ledge. You just go to a ledge and jump, the longer you push X the higher and further she jumps.

Also she moves sooo fluidly. Combat and swimming is a little hard at first but easy to get used to. The jumping is really easy. You only need triangle and X and the Analog stick to do jumping. If your on one ledge and there is another ledge above you, you need to get to, you just push X. Another thing is when your on one ledge and need to get to another ledge, you point in the direction the other ledge is and push X. When your on a rope, you jyst point the analog stick the way you want to go and push X. You push the left button on the D-pad to activate your light which lasts for 2 minutes.

The easiest part was running around when you first start the game, but it gets harder near the end. I only died twice (accidently). One was a part when you have major fightwith these people, and I didn't know how to restore your health. Another part was when you walk onto the floor and the ground opens up, so you have to push X the Square.

Anyway if you have any questions just ask me in this thread.

Palmtree
15th Mar 2006, 21:08
Thank you on your observations.
I have a question , what are the rest of the controls like circle,triangle,R1,L1...etc?

marggo
15th Mar 2006, 21:12
same question:D

Jsc
15th Mar 2006, 21:20
Thank you on your observations.
I have a question , what are the rest of the controls like circle,triangle,R1,L1...etc?

R2 is throw grenade (or L2, i just forgot) O is roll and swandive while jumping and Triangle is for shimying and interacting with objects and people

Palmtree
15th Mar 2006, 21:25
I hope i'm not annoying you , but i have two other questions :) :

Did you find out how to do that gynastic move that she does in an interview with riley cooper?

Does the demo end in that box puzzle?

Jsc
15th Mar 2006, 21:39
Don't worry, ask all the question you have.

The demo ends where you enter this room after completing the box puzzle. It says "To be continued Spring 2006," then it shows a picture of her before going back to the main menu.

LPGIRL
17th Mar 2006, 19:30
is the mansion an option in the demo? :)

17th Mar 2006, 19:37
I did actually post the controls a while back:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=548090&postcount=36

The mansion is a greyed out button on the title menu! Such a tease!:p

Palmtree
17th Mar 2006, 19:37
Interviews tell that button combos can be done for surprising new moves. :D

Try them out in the demo and tell us what happens. :D

paulmanta
17th Mar 2006, 20:24
* sighs, looks wistfully at old proper TR games and wishes that the quest for "improving" on things would go away*

So there is another completely different control system for this game then, making 3 different methods throughout the series.

Not interested anymore.

blincoln
17th Mar 2006, 21:12
So there is another completely different control system for this game then, making 3 different methods throughout the series.

The old control scheme was badly in need of an update. I tried playing the first two TR games and while I loved the environments and style, I couldn't get past the archaic controls and gave up without getting very far.

From what I understand, the main change in the new one is the directional control - like the Soul Reaver games (and virtually every third-person title now, like Ico), they are based on the idea that moving the analogue stick makes Lara move in that direction relative to the camera angle (which is a follow-cam with some user control, as opposed to a DMC/Defiance-style cinematic cam).

I realize there are some hardcore fans of the tank-style control scheme (in both the TR and survival horror genres), but for most of us it's a huge headache and very unintuitive.

The new control scheme (in addition to the choice of dev team and the preview screenshots) was part of the reason I actually pre-ordered this game.

Psychopompador
17th Mar 2006, 22:00

Not interested anymore.

wow- thats a bummer. so easy to just leave because you dont want an updated control system to go along with an updated game. You are really going to just forget trying the game at all because you want the old controls back. Perhaps the game might still be fun even with new controls, did you think of it from that angle? (whodathunkit?)

what would be a bigger bummer would be if the game stayed with Core and they gave it the same controls as the old games and updated nothing. (like they did with TR3-5, and then completely botched on TR6)

that mentality is why the series went to the crapper in the first place- because the designers stop being interested in new things.

LCTR:AoD
17th Mar 2006, 22:00
Can you play in the mansion?
And where u get demo from?
Fanx, Max(LCTR:AoD)

GoranAgar
17th Mar 2006, 22:04
Can you play in the mansion?
And where u get demo from?
Fanx, Max(LCTR:AoD)
No, it is not the mansion. It contains parts of the Bolivia level.

I got mine from the German OPM. And last monday I got another one from Eidos. :)

Jsc
17th Mar 2006, 23:40
guys, I'll tell you one thing and that is the game is SOOOOOOO great. You will love it. Their are checkpoints everywhere and when you save the game it saves at the last checkpoint.

munchkin
22nd Mar 2006, 10:26
oh wow thanks so much for shareing this, makes the old thumbs twitch just to think about it.

beccax

carlo
22nd Mar 2006, 11:11
Im pleased that there are checkpoints and i cant wait to try the new controls

Mangar The Dark
22nd Mar 2006, 14:17
* sighs, looks wistfully at old proper TR games and wishes that the quest for "improving" on things would go away*

I completely agree. Progress sucks. I miss my Commodore PET. I mean, I really hated when they improved things to make the Commodore Vic-20, and then that god-awful Commodore 64! And remember the 128? Then, just when I thought they did all the damage they could to my fond memories of the PET, they went and introduced the Commodore Amiga! And before I knew it, there were Windows systems and Macs everywhere. These days, when I want to load a program, I have to used that stupid mouse and click on those little icons... it pisses me off! They don't even call it "loading" anymore, they call it "opening". What's up with that? Whatever happened to being able to type LOAD "*",8,1?? Damn it! Progress sucks! I want my Commodore PET again!

And another thing-- what's up with these things called "microwave ovens"? Whatever happened to just going outside, killing a nice big hairy mammoth and dragging him back to a fire outside my cave? Jeez, the list goes on and on.

socom
22nd Mar 2006, 14:27
You people are killin' me with all this demo stuff, I feel so left out! lol

Yet, I am most appreciative of the info I have received thus far about the new game...looking forward to the new(er) moves, environments, and features. :cool:

WraithStar
22nd Mar 2006, 16:40
The old control scheme was badly in need of an update. I tried playing the first two TR games and while I loved the environments and style, I couldn't get past the archaic controls and gave up without getting very far.

Which version were you playing? I tried the PS version and it was impossible for me to control, but the PC version was pretty good (it was still very slow, but it was easy to get her to go where I meant for her to go).

From what I understand, the main change in the new one is the directional control - like the Soul Reaver games (and virtually every third-person title now, like Ico), they are based on the idea that moving the analogue stick makes Lara move in that direction relative to the camera angle (which is a follow-cam with some user control, as opposed to a DMC/Defiance-style cinematic cam).

My main concern is whether or not I'll be able to enjoy the game with a keyboard and mouse. If the game has SR2-style controls with a SR2-style camera, I'll be perfectly happy. That game was fine without a gamepad :)

Jsc
22nd Mar 2006, 20:50
I know somepeople sometimes worry about what the game will be like, but it's fun and great! You cannot get stuck in the first level, since it is sooooooooooooooooooooooo easy and fun!!!!!!!! You will love Tomb Raider Legend.!

ShadowOfOblivion
22nd Mar 2006, 23:14
I completely agree. Progress sucks. I miss my Commodore PET. I mean, I really hated when they improved things to make the Commodore Vic-20, and then that god-awful Commodore 64! And remember the 128? Then, just when I thought they did all the damage they could to my fond memories of the PET, they went and introduced the Commodore Amiga! And before I knew it, there were Windows systems and Macs everywhere. These days, when I want to load a program, I have to used that stupid mouse and click on those little icons... it pisses me off! They don't even call it "loading" anymore, they call it "opening". What's up with that? Whatever happened to being able to type LOAD "*",8,1?? Damn it! Progress sucks! I want my Commodore PET again!

And another thing-- what's up with these things called "microwave ovens"? Whatever happened to just going outside, killing a nice big hairy mammoth and dragging him back to a fire outside my cave? Jeez, the list goes on and on.

You sir are brilliant.