PDA

View Full Version : Did Squall Die?

member_10001973
30th May 2012, 20:33
I came across this site a while ago and wanted to see what people's thoughts were (it's also a way to post first in the FFVIII forum without being that guy that just goes "first!")

squallsdead.com/ (http://squallsdead.com/)

Asuha
30th May 2012, 20:35
Only Kazushige Nojima will truly know ;)

member_10001973
30th May 2012, 20:40
Someone get him on the phone then ;)

I'm not sure if I believe it or not, definitely has some interesting points though.

member_10514171
30th May 2012, 20:41
It would appear to be that way. At least that's what I always assumed, but never really discussed.

espritduo
31st May 2012, 01:37
No. Squall did not die. He's there in the ending, with Rinoa, on the balcony of Balamb Garden, alive and well. Selphie sees them, which is why she sneaks out there, to catch them together on camera. I've seen it discussed before, and it makes no more sense than the R=U theory. If he were meant to be dead, there would be a lot more real evidence to make it clear. Veryclear.

member_10803211
31st May 2012, 02:16
I don't think that any of us will know for sure. I like to think that he is alive and all is sunshine and roses, but that may be because I worked to beat the game, I want a happy ending dang it! lol. But, I also accept that there is some decent evidence to point towards the chance that he is dead at the end. I can understand the use of being subtle here; it allows the player to decide for themselves how things ended. It also leaves a sense of mystery to the game that is fun to look at and try and figure out.

DilsDileva
3rd Jun 2012, 08:49
I don't think he did. He's in the ending, and nobody seems to be very upset or sad. At least Rinoa would be grieving if he died, but she's smiling.

Supernova
5th Jun 2012, 12:06
He isn't dead , I saw him on the laundry yesterday !

^^

member_10835838
5th Jun 2012, 17:02
He isn't dead , I saw him on the laundry yesterday !

Maybe you see Dead People!!

No, I think he's alive, he is at the ending

member_10639255
5th Jun 2012, 17:59
I read what that site said. Quite frankly I think their thinking too much on the theory that Squall's dead, who thinks about it that much?

Not me. I just play through the story and enjoy the cg scenes when they come, not if this is the reality of the game.

So to sum it all up, I think that site is fony balony, a waste and useless for a game that came out so long ago, that's all.

(These are all my personal opinions btw)

Supernova
6th Jun 2012, 12:41
he's alive

Dissidia is enough

Xiaonanigans
6th Jun 2012, 14:03
He's alive.

PAT2K9
6th Jun 2012, 14:33
Spoiler (for people who may have not finished this game)

It seems like he died until the post credit segment: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qy1GLPOtmY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qy1GLPOtmY)

Syn
7th Jun 2012, 04:44
He never died, you see him after the credits with Rinoa on the balcony, come on people, sit through the credits and see for yourselves or watch the youtube video, its not speculation or hope, its fact, plain and simple.

SXTC
5th Jul 2012, 12:23
he is alive and changed his name to Peter XD

new_tradition
10th Jul 2012, 19:49
Haha, I remember that site.

I can believe that he died in the ending (though I don't understand why. Did he get a massive aneurysm from all the what-if realities flashing before his eyes that showed all that terrible stuff and he couldn't take it?) but Rinoa managed to revive him in the end (yay for the damsel in distress' tears, lol)

As for him dying at the end of Disc 1, the only thing quirky was him waking up in Disc 2 with no wound (he even remarks on it), though I assumed Ultimecia healed him because of reasons (or maybe Edea regained her senses enough to heal one of her kiddies :3). Otherwise why would Squall dying even be used in the game plot. We still see all these events from his POV. How can he experience or imagine things if he's DEAD?

onigiri619
13th Jul 2012, 19:18
Seifer was SMILING in the ending. O^O

That's DEFINITELY telling me that there is something fishy with the ending.

onigiri619
13th Jul 2012, 19:18
Seifer was SMILING in the ending. O^O

That's DEFINITELY telling me that there is something fishy with the ending.

But really, he probably made it out fine.

member_10027098
17th Jul 2012, 17:55
That theory seems rather ridiculous to me. Perhaps a few things said and done support it, but there's a whole lot more that supports that he's alive and well and actually wakes up on disc 2. If he were dreaming, then the entirety of discs 2-4 would hold zero significance, and we could all just say, "He dreamed."

There are many sequences in which we play as Laguna, anyway.

Crow
18th Jul 2012, 20:40
My theory is that Squall didn't just die, but ceased to exist. See, the thing that Kept all the co. alive in the future was their memories of eacother. Squall's memories were all messed up though because of the GF, and since he couldn't remember adequetaly, nobody remembered him, so he vanished. That's pretty much what Laguna/Odine said would happen. But then Rinoa somehow remembered him, so he came back into existence. Also, at end of Disk 1 when he got skewered, I think that since it was a magic attack it did penetrate him, but didn't cause any physical wounds(there was no blood after all). So it just wasted him, i.e. he was KOd and a Phoenix Down Revived him./tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif He had some nifty sunglasses too on that night. But why was he wearing them?/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif

seth_light
18th Jul 2012, 22:17
Squall is propably alive even though it's weird after the edeas attack , but since he is in the ending cuttscene he must be alive .

cky182dude
19th Jul 2012, 01:56
I'm a very artistic person and have watched/read some of the most mind-boggling films/books ever created. I have experience in understanding art from different perspectives and I can tell you that when I first finished FFVIII I really thought that Squall had died at the end of disc 1. That in that last scene he was trying with all his might to grasp the memories before they faded away, that this was HIS final fantasy. In the end, after the credits, when you see him in the balcony, I just assumed that he had succeeded in grasping his memories to make his "dream-reality" last longer or for eternity. Now of course this is looking at the art (FFVIII) from a completely different perspective. That's why this is my favorite Final Fantasy out of all of them. The story was extremely well done, and I was mind blown many times.

I'm not saying that this in fact the truth, or that they intentionally meant for it to be viewed like this. But I can tell you that this is the reason why video games are indeed a fine art. Whenever a good game is made, like this one, people are stuck trying to figure out what really happened. And that's amazing, it really is. And it shows us all how amazing art really is.

It's funny, this game really blew my mind in so many ways. I know FFVII was great and all. But I truly would love to see this game remade in HD or just completely redone. I know people want a FFVII remake more than anything (I want it too). I just think a FFVIII remake would be so much better in my opinion. This thread has brought back so many great memories. Now I'm going to purchase the PSN version for my PS3/PSP. (My PS2/PS1 are broken)

cky182dude
19th Jul 2012, 03:13
I don't know if this is true or not for I have not tried it myself, but apparently if you play "Eyes on Me" backwards you can hear "Squall is dead, Miss him, Miss him". When I read this I was overwhelmed with goosebumps. It's probably just coincidence but I love it when things like that happen. Reminds me of I<3 Huckabees. Great Flick.

member_10027098
19th Jul 2012, 07:31
I don't know if this is true or not for I have not tried it myself, but apparently if you play "Eyes on Me" backwards you can hear "Squall is dead, Miss him, Miss him". When I read this I was overwhelmed with goosebumps. It's probably just coincidence but I love it when things like that happen. Reminds me of I<3 huckabees="" great="" flick="" p="">

Just listened to "Eyes on Me" backwards. I heard nothing that even resembled "Squall is dead" or "Miss him."

cky182dude
19th Jul 2012, 13:31
Just something I heard, at least we now know it's false. Still crazy if it would've actually been true.

destruction7
7th Apr 2013, 08:21
Big false rumour! that´s happens!