PDA

View Full Version : Off-topic posts removed from "Will there be another LOK thread"

OugaBooga
6th Mar 2006, 19:09
MAn it makes me laugh when i think of sum of the forum rules!
U have a game with tonnes of gory evilness,vile plots & Then u got rules like "this is a ""family" type place/forum" wacth ur language BUT! don't worry how we twist ur kiddies minds into evil minded zombies of the "spiritual" WaLKinG DEAD >>hahahaha:D .
RoFLmFAO !

WraithStar
6th Mar 2006, 19:14
MAn it makes me laugh when i think of sum of the forum rules!
U have a game with tonnes of gory evilness,vile plots & Then u got rules like "this is a ""family" type place/forum" wacth ur language BUT! don't worry how we twist ur kiddies minds into evil minded zombies of the "spiritual" WaLKinG DEAD >>hahahaha:D .
RoFLmFAO !

I'm paraphrasing Kyle's mom on South Park here: Horrific deplorable violence is okay as long as there's no sex or dirty words :p

fneh
6th Mar 2006, 19:40
I think it's pretty obvious really....

LOK games are rated mature. In the UK they have a 15 certificate on them. (at least BO2 did. not sure about the others....) A child SHOULDN'T be able to buy them (but yes, they still do but that isn't the fault of the ppl that produce the games with that certification.)

These forums can be viewed by anyone of any age. I for one wouldn't want my 9 year old (no I don't have any children. I'm just using an example) to read a load of adults talking like Quentin Tarantino.

OugaBooga
6th Mar 2006, 20:28
LoL@ no sex or dirty words/talking like Quentin Tarantino:thumbsup:

Umah Bloodomen
7th Mar 2006, 07:08
OugaBooga ~ There have been many-a-constructive discussion about the content of video games here in the Community that have not been in violation of the rules. It's the immature, four-year old mentality (giggling at the mention or sight of Lara Croft's "features" for example or graphic discussion regarding certain "relations" and using every swear word in the book so that one sounds so unintelligent it makes them look like a complete arse and invites flaming) that have no place here.

No offense, but the primary expletives used in LOK are "damn", "hell", and "bastard" (and these are used in an appropriate context). Where on earth do you think it's in the best interest of this Community to allow other expletives? If Kain starts calling a female character by a derrogatory term such as the "C" word for example, I think more than a fair share of individuals would lose respect for him and the franchise. The majority of Community members that frequent here do so because it's an escape from other communities where the language and content is a bit more laxed. You're clearly more comfortable with how other communities elect to run themselves and that's fine. When you're on our time though, those other communities and how they elect to run themselves mean nothing.

Eidos does put out games with a wide range of content, I agree, but the fact of the matter is, as a corporate entity, Eidos has a responsibility not to allow public discussion / imagery of some of the content of thsoe games in its Community. The 25-To-Life forums aren't allowed to go off on tangents about cop killing and drugs, and those are major aspects of the game. No gore in LOK is anywhere near as gratuitous as what can be viewed on the covers of a few death metal bands I'm familiar with (and even listen to on occasion) and I've outright removed signatures featuring those covers as they have no place here.

fneh is right, games receive certain ratings for a reason. We can't control whether or not minors end up being exposed to mature games outside of the Community, we can (and do) control it here as it is our corporate responsibility (and our forums). It's a sad fact that times have changed since I was young. I never had an issue with mature content as I always knew my right from wrong and my fact from fiction. I don't disagree that society is skewed (this is in reference to the South Park mentality mentioned earlier), but at the same token, my personal viewpoint means jack as I'm not in the position I am to uphold my belief system. There's only so much Eidos and other companies can do, when do parents take over for once?

What this boils down to is clearly outlined in our TOU "if you do not agree to these rules, please don't post." Obviously (and despite your pseudo-rebellious postings) you agree with them or you wouldn't continue to frequent here. My suggestion to you is rather than "mouth off" about it every five seconds (and subsequently violate the rules yourself by taking subjects completely off topic and not bringing your concerns about how this forum is run to our attention via private channels) is to deal with it. No one is forcing you to be here; you're here because you elect to be here (as is everyone else who participates).

With that said, I trust we all can return to our regularly scheduled program. Any questions, comments or concerns can be brought to our attention.