PDA

View Full Version : Quick and easy mod install

FlyByU
6th Mar 2006, 15:36
Hi everyone

I have a new idea I think.

I have never been able to use any mods as I do not seem to be able to add files to the data pak file as I am sure many other IG players have the same problem even when following the instructions provided at this great forum.

My idea is to take the data pak file and empty it. Then put only the modded files back into the said empty data pak file with the proper folders to make a path to the actual files that need to be modified. Tell the users to make a backup of the data pak file in another location like My Documents and apply the mod or mods they want just by a simple copy paste action, and when they want to go back to the original game they just simply copy paste the original data pak file back into the folder.

The same can be done with the text pak file also.

Can this work?
Would this be allowed by Pyro Studios?

As I said for those of use who just do not have the know how it would be the best thing if it will work.

I believe there are many more players that have tried to install the mods as I have and just can't get it done. I feel this would bring new life to the IG community and the game itself.
As it stands right now if you are not computer savvy you don’t enjoy they wonderful mods that are out there.

Please post your thoughts

officerpuppy
6th Mar 2006, 17:50
I think a .BAT or .EXE program could do this, install the mod files while backing up the orginals, and when you want to revert to the orginal stuff, just use the uninstall feature.

Of course, the modder would have to have knowledge in making such program in the first place, but I think it could be done.

FlyByU
6th Mar 2006, 18:03
I think a .BAT or .EXE program could do this, install the mod files while backing up the orginals, and when you want to revert to the orginal stuff, just use the uninstall feature.

Of course, the modder would have to have knowledge in making such program in the first place, but I think it could be done.

Can you make such a program?

If so we can call it the Imperial Glory Mod Manager and then get it out for D/L then have all the mod makers format there mods to the IGMM per your instructions, and everyone that wants a mod will be able to get it and use it.

If this program is put out now and the mod makers start formatting there mods in about 6 months I say it would be a great working program/mod installer. Of course with testing/patience by the community:thumbsup:

officerpuppy
7th Mar 2006, 22:56
An IG mod manager would be a great idea. Startrek:Brige Commander has such a program that has basically become the standard for mods for that game. Just about everymod released is in the program format that allows easy instalation/uninstalation.

To answer your previous question, sorry I do not know how to make a .BAT or .EXE program.

FlyByU
8th Mar 2006, 03:53
If anyone could it would be a great tool. Maybe PYRO could through one together for us if no one here can do it???