PDA

View Full Version : Hitler compared to William The Just

goblin981
4th Mar 2006, 11:04
I'm no history scholar so I'm not 100% sure if this is true or not but it makes sense. A few years ago (waaaay back in school) I was told that there was a time when Hitler was incredibly popular and if he had have died a few years before the war he would have been remembered as one of the greatest men in history.

Sounds a bit like William doesn't it?

Just a thought

Omega
4th Mar 2006, 12:05
The thing with Hitler though, is that he did have loads of great ideas (uniting the world in peace etc) - but he went extremely overboard in how he went about them.

I don't think poor William had visions of peace!

goblin981
4th Mar 2006, 13:16
That may be true (like I said I'm no expert on the subject), though William may have been the same. He did die a 'Martyred Saint'.

Either way, thought it was worth mentioning.

Umah Bloodomen
4th Mar 2006, 13:33
The contributions to this thread had better remain constructive.

You all are highly advised to tread cautiously when discussing real-world matters and individuals (especially ones along the lines of Adolf Hilter as his "mark" on history is not one of the more socially acceptable and tends to offend many people). ANY non-constructive remark, will subject you to the enforcement of our TOU (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=53690); no questions asked.

It has typically been our policy to close threads of this nature, however the changes in the administration have given way for more leniency and we trust that it won't be taken advantage of. With that said, the topic of this thread has been altered so as not to come across as pro-Hitler and to deal with the comparison/contrast issue established by the author and is being monitored.

Any questions, comments, or concerns regarding my post can be brought to my attention via private channels (PM's and/or email).

Thanks.

Anoobish
4th Mar 2006, 13:57
Sorry... Minor typo there, Umah... He was German, hence his name is spelled 'Adolf'... Just thought I'd clear that up... :)

weaponx
4th Mar 2006, 16:22
Sorry... Minor typo there, Umah... He was German, hence his name is spelled 'Adolf'... Just thought I'd clear that up... :)
Actuly he was Austrian

Raziel'sRevenge
5th Mar 2006, 02:14
Well, if we knew a little more about why William the Just was named that we could probably make some more connections. Hitler gained much of his popularity by stirring up feelings in the lower class and by taking advantage of pre-existing feelings of nationalism and anger from the harshness of the Treaty of Versailles. He didn't so much act justly as he took advantage of a nation's anger, so it's difficult to compair the two. Now, compairing Hitler and Nemesis would be much easier, but Nemesis never exists due to Kain.

Umah Bloodomen
5th Mar 2006, 05:26

Much obliged. I've been up for four days and my focus on detail tends to lessen (I typically go with what sounds good to me at the time ;) ). The correction has been made.

Vampmaster
6th Mar 2006, 15:46
I've actually wanted to say for a while that I think the Hylden Lord is a bit like their version of Hitler and with the Hylden Lord out of the way, the rest of them might a little less genocidal. [End of comparison] And maybe under different leadership, they might end up allies to Kain if they realise that Kain is aware that they were right to not worship Squiddy and releases them to get their vengence on the EG.

goblin981
7th Mar 2006, 09:34
I know what you mean about them allying with Kain but don't see how that makes the HL like Hitler. The Description reminded me of Zaff Branegon and Kiff (from Futurama)

Vampmaster
7th Mar 2006, 13:37
I mean the idea of a corrupted ruler driving his entire empire to attrocities such as genocide when many of the individuals in the empire may well have been opposed to that. I mean the hylden hated the vampires, but I can't really beleive that every one of them would want to wipe out not only the entire vampire race, but all non hylden life in Nosgoth.

garbagefanuk
9th Mar 2006, 22:55
Hence the existance of The Builder in Blood Omen 2. Perfect example for you Vamp

goblin981
9th Mar 2006, 23:49
Ah, I see the connection now, good point.

goblin981
14th Mar 2006, 04:47
This could be a whole new topic but it's close enough that I'll post it here. I knew this already but was just reminded of it while playing Broken Sword 1. The Sarafan are obviously inspired by the Templars and named after the Seraphim Angels. So now I'm wondering, with the link between Hitler and either WTJ or HL, Sarafan and Templar, and Blood Script and Futhark. Are the any other historic people/events that can be seen in LoK? Obviously Kain was named after Cain (as were a few other charactors) and Kain and Raziel had similar roles to that of Jesus (and other figures in history I'm probably unaware of) but is there anything else, less obvious?

Vampmaster
14th Mar 2006, 14:13
There's Janos and Janus (roman god with two faces), but that connection has never been confirmed and they are pronounced differently: Yanos and Jaynus.