PDA

View Full Version : Redesign question?

nkash001
3rd Mar 2006, 23:54
Hey Tomb Raider fans. I have a question.

I'm currently enrolled in a video game studies class, and I'm brainstorming on ideas for my final paper. I thought Lara Croft would be a good subject, specifically in regards to how she is perceived within the female gaming community.

I read on Wikipedia.org that Lara Croft underwent a recent redesign to become more appealing to female gamers (i.e. her bust was decreased, body proportions more realistic?) Forgive my ignorance on the subject (I've only ever played the first Tomb Raider game, and it was only for a few levels!), but can anyone offer me any more information on this? Or direct me to some sources about it? I can't find much. I was wondering how big a part that played in her redesign, or if it was simply a technological decision (i.e. they redesigned her simply to keep up with the times and make her appear more realistic rather than appeal to a female audience?)

Any insight you guys have would be extremely useful. Thank you!!!

Sophia Leigh
5th Mar 2006, 02:19
For all information on Lara Croft/Tomb Raider I would start with www.tombraiderchronicles.com as that is the biggest Tomb Raider site on the planet, you'll might also find information at www.tombnews.com

In my opinion though, your thoughts are pretty accurate:

(i.e. they redesigned her simply to keep up with the times and make her appear more realistic rather than appeal to a female audience?)

Good luck with your paper :thumbsup: