PDA

View Full Version : The New Tomb Raider... don't get your hopes up...

sketchpad
25th Feb 2006, 07:23
OK people... Do you remember any good Tomb Raider games being released in the past 5 years? All I'm saying is be skeptical: there is going to have to be some dramatic technical changes to this title to make it even worth renting!

HEAR THAT EIDOS?! Hey Eidos how about a new way to control this broad? What about making this into a true 3rd person shooter where you have to aim? How about speeding the dumb girl up a tad, so I don't have to wait 15 seconds for her to pull that skinny butt up from a ledge? How about a multi-player co-op? How about multiple paths in levels? Maybe some role-playing elements.

What new things are you going to give me, Eidos? (Besides finding intersting ways on killing her.) Well Eidos... I'm waiting...:confused:

Let me know what you think of this new Tomb Raider... I'm intrested in what you have to say. What other fans (or former fans like myself) feel about the sub-par games that Eidos has been putting out. Hope to hear from you.

dhama
25th Feb 2006, 08:46
Let's make one thing straight, i'm the only skeptic in this forum, there is no room for another. I'm the heckler that tells Eidos how good or certainly how bad Tomb Raider may or may not be. So think again. :p :rolleyes:

Staticon
25th Feb 2006, 09:36
Despite the rant, welcome to our humble abode, sketchpad. :D
how about a new way to control this broad? Surely, it was an attempt to do just that which was a major part of the criticism levelled at AoD?

A large proportion of us TR fans are more than happy with the way Lara handles already and if we want alternate handling methods or multi-player co-op games, we play different titles or on-line games. (just my thoughts) :)

This thread would be more appropriate in the TR forums, hence the move. :)

Rascalius
25th Feb 2006, 10:27
Looking at some of the video demos on trc and other sites, they definitely heard you on the 'speed her up' bit. She seems to climb, shimmy, turn and generally function a lot quicker than in previous games. But, of course, we won't know for sure until we get our sticky, little fingers on her. ;)

EddyBones
25th Feb 2006, 17:02
If I really cared about any of that stuff being changed I would not have played past TR1.

Treeble
26th Feb 2006, 13:56
What about making this into a true 3rd person shooter where you have to aim? How about speeding the dumb girl up a tad, so I don't have to wait 15 seconds for her to pull that skinny butt up from a ledge? How about a multi-player co-op? How about multiple paths in levels? Maybe some role-playing elements.

You're looking into the wrong franchise. :rolleyes: That's why you think no decent game has been released in the last five years. AOD WAS a flop yes, but not because it wasn't a TPP shooter, but because it was, well, just bad.

I'd suggest you to go with Enter The Matrix or BloodRayne, if you want run-and-gun games.

ladylinnycroft
26th Feb 2006, 14:08
calling Lara a dumb girl won't win you any popularity contests on here......that's just blasphemy!

Sophia Leigh
26th Feb 2006, 22:31
AOD WAS a flop yes, but not because it wasn't a TPP shooter, but because it was, well, just bad.
Its funny that you should say that, for such a "bad" game, its gone platinum.

maniac44
26th Feb 2006, 22:39

Just because a game goes Platinum doesn't mean it's a good game *cough*-Enter The Matrix-*cough*. ;)

Treeble
27th Feb 2006, 00:25

Truth is, "Tomb Raider" will always sell, sometimes more, sometimes less, but it's got a huge fanbase who'll always buy the games. I myself have bought AOD the day it was released here in Brazil - and that was almost a month after it was released in Europe and USA... and when I bought it I was aware it was just an average game with most gaming magazines rating it 6 and such.

AOD was bad because of the gameplay. It was too uninspired I guess - they were so worked up about graphics and looks that completely forgot about playability. The main focus of a videogame. :rolleyes:

GoranAgar
27th Feb 2006, 11:03
... my, what an interesting thread. I do not think we had one quite like this before here.

GeorgeMaciver
27th Feb 2006, 17:00
Now why do I get the impression this is just a wind up? :D

dhama
27th Feb 2006, 17:03
Now why do I get the impression this is just a wind up? :D

Just like the 'windy' ally eh George.. :D

midroth
27th Feb 2006, 17:08
Anyhow, I dond speeg enklisch...

GeorgeMaciver
27th Feb 2006, 18:04
I suppose 'winding' would have been a better choice of word! Er, what languages do you speak then Midroth? :D

WraithStar
27th Feb 2006, 18:29
OK people... Do you remember any good Tomb Raider games being released in the past 5 years? All I'm saying is be skeptical: there is going to have to be some dramatic technical changes to this title to make it even worth renting!

HEAR THAT EIDOS?! Hey Eidos how about a new way to control this broad? What about making this into a true 3rd person shooter where you have to aim? How about speeding the dumb girl up a tad, so I don't have to wait 15 seconds for her to pull that skinny butt up from a ledge? How about a multi-player co-op? How about multiple paths in levels? Maybe some role-playing elements.

What new things are you going to give me, Eidos? (Besides finding intersting ways on killing her.) Well Eidos... I'm waiting...:confused:

Let me know what you think of this new Tomb Raider... I'm intrested in what you have to say. What other fans (or former fans like myself) feel about the sub-par games that Eidos has been putting out. Hope to hear from you.

Wow. I have a few things to say about this. First off, Legend is being made by a different company than the other games; there *have* been dramatic changes made to the series, and from the gameplay trailers Lara controls a lot more smoothly. Crystal Dynamics (the company now making Legend) has already said that there will be multiple ways to solve the puzzles. I take it you didn't like AOD since you think there weren't any good games released recently. AOD is what happens when role playing elements are introduced to Tomb Raider (quests, conversation choices, strength upgrades...). There's no real way to do it without totally changing the feel of the game, and I definitely prefer the way the earlier games were to the quests in AOD. I have a few gripes with Legend, but over all I'd say it's looking pretty good. Watch a few of the gameplay trailers and you'll see. Or even better, wait for the demo to come out and see if that fulfills your expectations. Also, you come across as very hostile. If you are seriously voicing concerns about Legend, perhaps being a little less harsh will get people to respond constructively instead of defensively:)

midroth
27th Feb 2006, 19:14
I suppose 'winding' would have been a better choice of word! Er, what languages do you speak then Midroth? :DUhn...web speak...annd...waid...zere...wahs...uhm...how...wahsid...kald?...................................KERMAHN!..............or...wahsid...allemann...teutsch...shorri...haf...2loogin...my...pazpord............

Chris Daly
28th Feb 2006, 02:21
AOD gripes again... perhaps if it could be confirmed to
forum readers what control logic is actually in Legend
questions like this wouldn't arise.

Just to remind .. AOD game booklet Page 7 reads
Control Allows you to choose from 3 predefined controls
highlight your desired method and press X button to confirm.
Here you also have the option to select Vibration on (default)
or off.

When none of this is actually in the game .. well its just not right is it.
Is the same problem going to occur in Legend ? Could we be told
what the control logic is please : ie same as TR4?? Hey even TR1
logic was better than AOD:rolleyes:

WraithStar
28th Feb 2006, 16:56
AOD gripes again... perhaps if it could be confirmed to
forum readers what control logic is actually in Legend
questions like this wouldn't arise.

Just to remind .. AOD game booklet Page 7 reads
Control Allows you to choose from 3 predefined controls
highlight your desired method and press X button to confirm.
Here you also have the option to select Vibration on (default)
or off.

When none of this is actually in the game .. well its just not right is it.
Is the same problem going to occur in Legend ? Could we be told
what the control logic is please : ie same as TR4?? Hey even TR1
logic was better than AOD:rolleyes:

Well, even if they don't actually announce what the controls will be like, I think the demo is coming out in a few weeks and we'll be able to see first hand. I'm really looking forward to the demo. I want to buy Legend, but if the controls are a nightmare then I won't. I'm expecting the controls to be good, though:)

ladylinnycroft
28th Feb 2006, 19:07
i hope the controls will be easier too......what excites me about Legend is that Lara moves like old Lara if that makes sense......She has that lovely movement which we never saw in AOD.......i'm glad it's back i love TR1...definately my favourite game

WraithStar
28th Feb 2006, 19:24
i hope the controls will be easier too......what excites me about Legend is that Lara moves like old Lara if that makes sense......She has that lovely movement which we never saw in AOD.......i'm glad it's back i love TR1...definately my favourite game

I think her movements look a lot smoother and a lot more graceful in Legend:) The one-handed grab I still haven't gotten used to, but I'm not really bothered by it either, so I don't think it'll be a problem for me:)

JunoJIm
17th Mar 2006, 05:38
Well - I can't give my opinion untill the CD comes out, but I've been playing a lot of other games, and I get tired of the shooters, and I like single player, so I've been playing custom TR games for a few years.

I like the philosophy behind the TR game. Not too much blood, some thinking, and some keyboard running and jumping - good for the wrists - that mouse can get to you, especially when you use one all day !!!

I know, the new game will prolly be WASD - mouse driven - I've got a gamepad...