PDA

View Full Version : Still Demo Unplayable

Miller1236
21st Feb 2006, 21:07
Still can not get this demo to play, I am running on a dual core 4400+,2x EVGA 7800 GTX in SLI mode and have the latest vid driver,my burning software is Roxio Easy Media creator.The game freezes on the rating screen. Any suggestion.
Thanx:confused:

samckay
21st Feb 2006, 21:54
I am running dual core AMD 64 4200 plus Nvidia 7800 GT twin cards. 3 GB mem and 180 GB of free disk. Mega bucks of kit.
I have tried everything, antialiasing off, X2, X4. You name it.
This demo was never ready for release.
I get video breakup and game freezes. I even managed to float over the fjord during the intro with no water in it!
Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 run like a dream on my PC.
Anyone know how AMD dual core processors can run this?

(I followed the instructions to "Set Affinity" from Task Manager which were on the support site. There is no such option).
Steve

Miller1236
21st Feb 2006, 22:46
Hi Samkay, I finally got it to work heres how
Start game, and then quickly hit Ctrl+Alt+delt,Task Manager will open, then go to the tab, processes, then look for CommXPC.exe, right click and click set affinity then uncheck CPU 1 then click on OK.Then click on the game that is stiil running on the bottom tool bar. It should work. Give it a try.:thumbsup:

Birdhaus
22nd Feb 2006, 12:08
I have a AMD 3800+ dual core, 2gig ram, Raedon x800 video card, plus a truck load of free space. I had these exact same isses, froze up at teen rating.

Just wanted to say thanks Miller, I found this information extremely useful and it solved my problems.

manilaboy
22nd Feb 2006, 20:56
dual cores for some reasons have problems with some game. the other game that dual core had problem with is Timeshifter," i heard some people with dual core talking about a problem with the demo.

samckay
23rd Feb 2006, 19:40
Thanks Miller. But my problem is I do not have an option to set affinity when I right click on the .exe from Task Manager.

I only have "set priority". Does this mean my bios id not running dual core?! What a waste of cash if this is true!
I would feel really dumb.

Steve

Miller1236
23rd Feb 2006, 19:54
Thanks Miller. But my problem is I do not have an option to set affinity when I right click on the .exe from Task Manager.

I only have "set priority". Does this mean my bios id not running dual core?! What a waste of cash if this is true!
I would feel really dumb.

Steve
Hi Steve, what OS are you running and what are the spec of your PC ?
Miller

Xcom
23rd Feb 2006, 19:59
AFAIK, you need Service Pack 2. Make sure you have that.
There is also, I believe, special AMD driver for dual core systems. Do you have that installed?

samckay
24th Feb 2006, 00:15
Hi Miller,
Problem solved, I think.
I just re-installed my motherboard drivers then XP with SP2 and I can see the option to set affinity. It took over an hour but I hope it was worth it.
I will try to run the game tomorrow and let the board know what happens.
Things are looking up!

Thanks for your help
Steve

samckay
24th Feb 2006, 23:28
That did it.
I am ashamed to say my PC configuration was not running dual core properly. I have only had the kit for 3 weeks and I assumed my supplier knew what he was doing when he configured it. Obviously not.
The reinstall of motherboard drivers and XP fixed it and I can now set the affinity to one core only.
Runs perfectly now on all video settings at high.

Steve