PDA

View Full Version : Historical battles

officerpuppy
21st Feb 2006, 00:38
Ive made some discoveries today on Historical battles and how to edit them etc (units, flags) so I wanted to make a Historical battle mod by increasing the ammount of units and make the battle more "historically accurate" as allowed by the games but I need help from some history buffs.
http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5078#5078

There are 28 slots to be used in a H.B. But not all 28 can be used.

Waterloo
English, Hannover, Batavia. There are 15 units, nine English, four Dutch, and two from Hannover. What would be an accurate representation of English units for the battle? I would also like to add Prussia into the map instead of "waiting" for them to arrive. The English can muster 15 units, the other 13 units spawn a little ways off from the Hougmont behind the French line all bunched up.

The French have 18 units on the field. But can only muster 19, any more than this and the other units spawn near the middle of the map all bunched up. They are between Belle alliance and haye sainte and slightly to the left.

These #'s were tested using the Battlemod v.2 using the default historical positions map. Using the regular game map, all 28 slots for both sides can be used, but the units spawn in their default positions, this means you must position them and march them to their locations. (Adds more user control)

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=51001
If you follow the format given for Ligny, it would be great :)

Update: I've successfully created my own hist.naval battle:D So if you guys have any naval battles you want to see, post on here following the "Ligny" format in the other thread and I'll see what I can do.

Lefebvre
21st Feb 2006, 18:26
hey nice work officerpuppy :)

As for the units at Waterloo, relatively few were actually English, perhaps 20odd thousand, the bulk of the Allied army was Hanoverian or KGL (serving under British command thanks to the future house of Saxe-Coburg-Gothe being on the throne and George III was Elector of Hanover) or Dutch/Belgian (Batavian) nominally serving under joint Anglo/Dutch command, in the person of Prince William.

There are 15 units, nine English, four Dutch, and two from Hannover. What would be an accurate representation of English units for the battle?

I would use half British and half Hanoverian/KGL for numbers.

British
Well the default skin is good for Line Infantry, the 95th rifles mod skin is great for Light Infantry, and the Hussars are ok I guess since they had all sorts of uniforms, usually dark blue dolman and pelisse jackets braided white, with grey or buff trousers. There were no British/Allied Lancer regiments so they should be left out.
Hanoverian and KGL troops were uniformed pretty much the same as British throughout (though there is a mod for Hanoverian troops that shows a difference).

Batavian/Dutch/Belgian
Dutch Line Infantry wore uniforms very similar to the French, bell-topped shako and blue jackets, with mid/dark grey pants.
Belgian Line Infantry wore the same colours, but with the 'Belgic' or stovepipe style shako (same as British Infantry did)

Duth and Belgian Light troops wore the same as above, but with green jackets instead of blue. I don't think there is a skin that matches this though, just use anything green ;)

Dutch cavalry were predominantly hussars clad in dark green.
There were Dutch/Allied Carabiniers, but they didn't wear their metal cuirass breastplates in the 100 Days Campaign so should be left out also, just skin them as hussars or (more accurately) as dragoons.

Prussians
Infantry were roughly half Line and half Landwehr (militia)
Line Infantry mostly wore dark blue surtout coats, black leather equipment and dark grey trousers. They wore bell top shakos covered in oilskin waterproof covers throughout.
Militia were a mixed bag, but wore long dark blue coats and soft hats. There is no skin that matches them in the game.

Cavalry were roughly half Lancers (Uhlans) and half hussars or dragoons. They were mostly clad in dark blue and black, sometimes with dark green for hussars and light blue for dragoons (who wore shakos covered in oilskin waterproof covers) There is no mod I know of that covers these uniforms accurately.

Use default Artillerymen so long as they are in blue they will look ok.

hope all that helps dude :)

officerpuppy
21st Feb 2006, 21:37
Waterloo

Default intro
Default map
Default OBJ

EMPIRES:
Attacker: France
Defender: Prussia, England, Hannover, Batavia

Order of Battle

England
2 FUSILERO units (4 stars)
1 CAZADORE unit (4 stars)
3 Elite units (5 stars)
2 Hussar units (4 stars)
3 12lb Canon (3 stars)

Batavia
3 Fusilero units (2 stars)
2 Hussar units (4 stars)

Hannover
3 Fusilero units (3 stars)
1 Lancer unit (5 stars)

Prussia
3 Fusilero units (3 stars)
2 Hussar units (4 stars)
1 Lancer unit (4 stars)
1 Dragoon unit (4 stars)
1 12lb Canon (3 stars)

Since Landwehr units in the game have no guns I did not include them, I doubt any one wants militia running around the map. If these stats look ok, then could I get stats for France? Feel free to rearrange the list, but do not go over 28 units. Once this mod is complete, Waterloo will be a whole new experience :thumbsup:

Lefebvre
22nd Feb 2006, 22:02
Historically France should be made up pretty much the same as Prussia, just with better quality troops throughout. In general terms I would use the proportions you have listed and make up the numbers to 28 that way.

Since Landwehr units in the game have no guns I did not include them, I doubt any one wants militia running around the map.
Sure dude, makes good sense. I figured you might want to try modelling them or using other skins or units to represent militia/landwehr, that's why I included them ;)

I would definitely give France some elite infantry, artillery and cavalry to represent the Imperial Guard of course, but also give them good infantry throughout (no low quality troops at all in fact). Also I would give them superior Artillery (Napoleon's army had more bigger and better arty pieces) and Cuirassiers (nobody else had Cuirassiers on the field of Waterloo I think).

Is it possible for the Prussians to arrive late in the game? I think you would find that interesting as that is what happened in reality. Nice job so far though my m8 :)

officerpuppy
22nd Feb 2006, 23:06
I have not figured out how or what determines how you get reinforcements in the game yet:confused:

Order of Battle

France
7 FUSILERO units (4 stars)
2 CAZADORE units (4 stars)
2 Tiradore units (3 stars)
2 Granadero units (4 star)
3 Elite units (5 stars)
2 Dragoon units (3 stars)
2 Hussar units (4 stars)
2 Lancer units (4 stars)
2 Coracero units (4 stars)
3 12lb Canon (4 stars)

Lefebvre, PM me your email and I'll send you the file to test, tell me if there are any balance issues.

officerpuppy
23rd Feb 2006, 17:09
Battle of Lodi

EMPIRES:
Attacker: France
Defender: Austria

Order of Battle

France
9 FUSILERO units (4 stars)
2 Granadero unit (4 stars)
4 Dragoons (3 stars)
3 Hussar units (4 stars)
6 6lb Canon (3 stars)

Austria
11 Fusilero units (3 stars)
9 Hussar units (4 stars)
2 Lancer unit (4 stars)
6 6lb Canon (3 stars)

Sound about right?

General Skobby
23rd Feb 2006, 18:17
Also I would give them superior Artillery (Napoleon's army had more bigger and better arty pieces) and Cuirassiers (nobody else had Cuirassiers on the field of Waterloo I think).

Actually both the Life Guards and the Household Cavalry as present.

Lefebvre
24th Feb 2006, 00:50
Actually both the Life Guards and the Household Cavalry as present.

yes indeed you are right, though the Life Guards are actually part of the Household Brigade anyway ;)

The point though is that none of them wore the cuirass, they only did so way after the Napoleonic period as a tribute to the French cavalry :) They should really be represented as dragoons in the game I think, since that uniform is by far the closest.

General Skobby
24th Feb 2006, 11:12
Dragoons with swords

Lefebvre
24th Feb 2006, 17:05
yep yep - the dragoon skin on the hussar behaviour model would be best of all.

officerpuppy
25th Feb 2006, 23:01
My edited battle of Waterloo and the battle of Lodi has been released a while ago. Any thoughts/comments on improvements please post on here. I am currently working on a second version, I am working on adding the battle of Brienne (1814) and the battle of Camperdown (1797).

Update:I just realized there is a mistake in the read me.

Place the files inside the folder 49 into:
IG/Game/Gamemodes/Escenarios/Sceneries/49

Place the files inside the folder 40 into:
IG/Game/Gamemodes/Escenarios/Sceneries/40

Thats the proper location of where those two should go. Not, Navalbattlesmode.