PDA

View Full Version : No sound card problem

Red_Breast
20th Feb 2006, 17:10
When the demo came out I d/l and installed it but my install folder is 348Mb. What happened to the rest?
Anyway my problem, which I sent an e-mail about to Eidos on the same day, is a "No sound card" error.
I used Eidos' system analyzer and passed the sound section for the game. I don't have a soundcard, just the old on-board sound, and I've never come across a game that needs a soundcard. I haven't heard of anybody else with this problem and I don't think Eidos have either as I haven't heard anything back from them.
I even checked the driver for my on-board audio chip which was the latest anyway.
In my CSF folder I have the exe, 4 dlls, 1 PAK, 1 readme and 4 folders which are config, maps, SOUNDS and Videos. The SOUNDS folder is 69.4Mb which seems quite small. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, downloading from another site etc.
Anybody else with a similar problem?

Baxterianism
20th Feb 2006, 18:04
No problems, and for your confirmation, my SOUNDS folder is the same size

Broadside
20th Feb 2006, 18:20
Yes, I have the same size files and the same folders and it all works OK.

I would guess that there is some incompatability with that onboard sound chip.

Red_Breast
22nd Feb 2006, 16:15
In case anybody's interested I got an answer from Eidos. I checked my driver for my audio chip and was told it was the latest, although it was released in 2001, but it's not DX9c compliant. Apparently I need a driver for it dated after Dec 2005. Anybody got any suggestions, example being any 3rd party drivers out there in www land. Cheers to those that replied.

Broadside
23rd Feb 2006, 00:20
Sounds like it is time you got a sound card. Onboard sound will always catch up with you eventually if you stay in gaming because it is just not as well supported as the main sound cards. I would recommend a Creative Audigy 2, they are fairly cheap now and very reliable with modern games requiring dx9c support.