PDA

View Full Version : Anistropic filtering??

AdamP
20th Feb 2006, 15:05
Does Theif DS automatically use anistropic filtering or does it need to forced on in the video card driver options? Does Thief3 benefit by having anistropic filtering turned on or off?

Also, the multisampling option under the game options only goes to 4x.. Is there any reason why you wouldn't want 8x or 16x?? Besides the normal performance drops/ reduction in frame rate that high multisampling causes?

Agulf
24th Feb 2006, 14:17
Also, the multisampling option under the game options only goes to 4x.. Is there any reason why you wouldn't want 8x or 16x?? Besides the normal performance drops/ reduction in frame rate that high multisampling causes?

To be honest, I think they figured anything beyond 4x multisampling would be overkill in TDS. I'm only using 1x (allows me to use bloom) @ 1280x1024 and I've got no jaggies to speak of. Either that, or I just got used to them. Besides, I'll take bloom over MS any day ;P :thumbsup:

I don't really know about the anisotropic filtering, so I'll just quote someone from OSNN:
"I tried playing the game with AA and AF enabled but the frame-rate plummeted rendering the game unplayable". But I guess trying to force it on and try wont hurt. :)

AdamP
2nd Mar 2006, 09:16
Hello, I have been playing at 1280x1024 also, I normally use 2X multisampling when I want high frame rates. I switch to 4X sometimes just to see how good it can look. I agree that the difference between 2X and 4X is minimal and not worth the drop in framerate.

I have tried bloom but dont really know what to look for with it... what exactly does bloom do??

thanks !

AlexDenton
2nd Mar 2006, 12:59
In Deus Ex: Invisible War, you can see clearly what Bloom does. Blooming is a technique that simulates the corona, or blur, that surrounds bright light sources like street lamps or polished metal. It's achieved by effectively taking a snapshot of all the lights in one frame of the videogame image, and then downsampling until the image loses much of its information, before laying the bloom image back over the original lighting.

Agulf
2nd Mar 2006, 13:25
Hello,

It's like Alex says. When you turn it on, everything becomes a bit dim/glowish (and in my opinion alot more attractive and appealing) - if you turn it of, things become sharper/clearer and you'll probably get an increase in fps. But when you turn bloom of, you'll be able to have higher multisampling, which in turn decreases fps. Matter of taste, really. :)

stickyfingers
3rd May 2006, 06:41
I like 'bloom' - it makes the game just that much nicer...

Komag
14th May 2006, 01:31
Anisotropic filtering helps the textures not turn to mud at sharp angles. I can't stand not using at least 2x aniso on everything, preferably 4x.