PDA

View Full Version : Wood

BigKevSexyMan
18th Feb 2006, 07:12
I'm just wondering. What wood would best embody the LoK series? I've been tossing around these plans for a LoK case set for the current series, and hopefully the future one.

I'd carve all the symbols and stuff on it. Maybe have Kains symbol as the lock on it....or maybe I should have the reaver as the lock....hmmmmm.....

Anyways, do you think there is a LoK wood?

TheWatcher
19th Feb 2006, 00:29
Wood, eh? I think this is a first for the forums. I'd have to say some type of hardwood, ash maybe. While it won't be to easy to carve, it does embody LOK I suppose. They make some ball bats out of ash, and LOK is all about violence and hitting people with things. :rolleyes:

BigKevSexyMan
19th Feb 2006, 00:54
While doing some research on your ash suggestion I HAVE FOUND THE PERFECT WOOD!!!!

BLOODWOOD!

http://www.thewoodbox.com/exoticwoods/bloodwood.htm
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/bloodwood.htm

BigKevSexyMan
24th Feb 2006, 07:40
O.K., I want you guys opinion on something. I need a design for the front of the box, and I think this MIGHT work. So tell me what you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BigKevSexyMan/Example1.png

I'm thinking of making to so that you have to turn the center circle of the spirit element to unlock it.

If you don't like that, then make a suggestion please.

Binky24
24th Feb 2006, 08:22
Hmm - the Earth and Water seem to me asymmetrical, out of line (well... arc) - Fire/Light/Air are on one arc, but these two aren't. I know that it's because they (Earth/Dark/Water) aren't on one arc in the original picture, but without those lines which connect everything, the right side of the picture looks an unruly mess compared to the left. So perhaps either put the Earth/Dark/Water on one arc (the Earth symbol looks particularly jarring to me, it's just too close!), or put the lines back in? If you care the slightest for symmetry, that is. ;)

Anoobish
24th Feb 2006, 17:05
Can't you just make the Pillar's (like they are, up there), except you'd take a screenie of the place, and paint the platform. Then see, if you can fit the logos in there! :D

BigKevSexyMan
25th Feb 2006, 01:12
Anoobish: I think that'd be to busy.

Binky24: Ok, how about this? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BigKevSexyMan/Example2.png Is it to busy?

Keep in mind this is the very front of it.

Binky24
25th Feb 2006, 12:20
Well, to my eyes it's an improvement... to my eyes, and keep in mind that I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to art, so that's probably a disadvantage rather than a good thing. :D

I like it. Just two notes -
1.about the Pillar Symbols - here (http://dark-chronicle.co.uk/sr2/platformbig.php) is perhaps another way to put them, next to the Elemental symbols instead of all on top, but I like it as it is...
2. are you going to carve the symbols? carve and paint them? (eugh, the Water symbol would probably clash terribly against the colour of the wood) inlay them? Inlaid things are beautiful... but they probably are very difficult to make, aren't they?

Anoobish
25th Feb 2006, 12:33
That's what I meant! :D

fangedwolf
25th Feb 2006, 17:45
I am in a bit of awe at this project.
I think inlays would look wonderful, perhaps if you create circular inlays in which you have already made the different symbols would be best, and easiest. You certainly have set yourself a mamoth task here.

BigKevSexyMan
25th Feb 2006, 21:05
I never thought about inlays. I was going to paint them, but that's a MUCH better idea.

And I'll think about that design. It's just hard to picture without the cloudy platform and partially colored symbols. Maybe if I can out how to draw circles in gimp.

Ok, now, I've drawn up a kind of blueprint for the center piece. Tell me what you think of it. The top part is the glass(the clan symbols will be in bronze on the glass) and the bottom part is the wood part.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BigKevSexyMan/center_piece.png

Binky24
26th Feb 2006, 06:45
re the new design - I'm confused. :confused: You wrote "center piece". Is it a new box or the same old one from a different side?
anyway, I'll add to fangedwolf's "I'm in awe" right now. You sure think big - first the wood, now glass and bronze? :eek:

but I don't understand what "signature border" and "sr2/bo2" mean in this context :)
OK - uneducated opinion continued - when I pictured this in bronze and glass, it looked fantastic, not too big, not too small. Just one pedantic thought: you've done it like this:

Raziel --- Rahab
Dumah --- Zephon
Turel --- Melchiah

Is there any particular reason why? As in - because it's like this in/in front of the Sanctuary? (I don't have SR here, so can't check) Or because it looks better? Because, well, why not:

Raziel --- Turel
Dumah --- Rahab
Zephon --- Melchiah? From a fan's point of view would make more sense... I think. :)

fangedwolf
26th Feb 2006, 14:34
I think its interesting that you have gone from the circular design to the rectangular. I can see why it would make more sense as a box design though.

I had some ideas of how (if I had the time, skill, etc etc) I would create such a thing. Ill see if I can sketch something out to show, perhaps give you some new ideas :cool:

There, did a quick sketch:
http://i1.tinypic.com/oksw39.jpg
I think it would look best to use good wood and keep it simple. I think the closing clasp will be the most difficult part of the box to get right, but would be worth it in the end.
It also works out quite well in terms of design as it opens up flat so you can have games on all four panels, though you would have to figure out how to stop them falling out. Perhaps padding to keep the games snuggly fitting.
Also, the reaver's skull is in the place where the balance pillar would be, which is oddly fitting I think ;)
Let me know what you think

BigKevSexyMan
26th Feb 2006, 20:08
That's how I roughly pictured it. By center piece I meant the piece that would be in the middle once you opened it all the way. The glass is what is supposed to hold the games in. I LOVE your idea for the front cover although I'd have to see it with the reaver under the balance rune before I make my final decision. Maybe I can make it so that if you press the balance rune it'll open the case.

Raziel --- Turel
Dumah --- Rahab
Zephon --- Melchiah

Yeah, this will probably be the end result. What I did was just a quick draw up. I wish I had a scanner that works....

And what do you mean by "good" wood? Do you not like my choice?

EDIT: SR2 and BO2 are where the games go, and signature border.....well....I'll tell you later.

Anoobish
26th Feb 2006, 20:31
Of course, you could try to make Kain's symbol, the lock, with the Reaver as the key. That'd be cool :D ... If not impossible...:(

BigKevSexyMan
26th Feb 2006, 20:37
I thought about that too, but it's just be a hassle to carry around a miniature reaver all the time. Plus, what would happen if I lost it?

Edit: Ok, I drew up a little picture of what this will look like at the moment. Tell me what you think. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BigKevSexyMan/layout.png

fangedwolf
27th Feb 2006, 10:56
And what do you mean by "good" wood? Do you not like my choice?
No no, Im no real expert on wood, I was just meaning like a good quality, no cracks or dents or anything.

The only problem I see about the glass aspect of it is that I think that it would be rather difficult to keep the paint on, unless you used proper glass paint, which I have never found to look that brilliant. Also you would have to be careful with how it was moved and stored because of the brittle aspect of glass, and the fact that you can cut yourself on the edges. It might be better to use clear perspex instead.

How were you planning to hold the glass/perspex in place? Like the games they will want to fall out when you open the case.

BigKevSexyMan
27th Feb 2006, 21:16
No no, Im no real expert on wood, I was just meaning like a good quality, no cracks or dents or anything.

Oh, of course.

The only problem I see about the glass aspect of it is that I think that it would be rather difficult to keep the paint on, unless you used proper glass paint, which I have never found to look that brilliant.

I'm not going to be painting on the glass. I'll be attaching bronze pieces(and maybe painting them) The reaver and clan symbols will all be bronze pieces attached to the glass.

Also you would have to be careful with how it was moved and stored because of the brittle aspect of glass, and the fact that you can cut yourself on the edges.

The glass will be sturdily in place so you won't have to worry about it breaking. Also, there are certain ways to make the glass so you can't get cut on it.

How were you planning to hold the glass/perspex in place? Like the games they will want to fall out when you open the case.

Ok, when you open the wooden part of the case there will be three sections. The left, center, and right. In each of them there will be the games. First there will be one big indent, that is where the glass will go. In that big indent(under the glass) there is another indent, this is where the games go. So basically the games go in the smaller indent, above it goes the glass in the larger indent. I'll have to find out where to put the hinges.

fangedwolf
27th Feb 2006, 22:58
Well you seem to have everything under control ;)
Good luck with the endeavour

soothsayer
2nd Mar 2006, 05:44
I'm not crazy about the elemental symbols, especially how earth would turn out carved.

I'd go retro, BO pillar diagram overhead.

BigKevSexyMan
2nd Mar 2006, 06:11
That's basically what I'm doing. You can view the current version here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/BigKevSexyMan/layout.png

To the upper right is the design that will be in the front.