PDA

View Full Version : what copy protection is the game/demo using

TallyHO
17th Feb 2006, 15:56
hi just wanted to check before i waste any more bandwidth on demos with dodgy protection?
what copy protection is the game using, has the demo got any
the reason i ask is i and tens of thousands of others have boycotted Starforce
and i really dont want to dl another demo with starforce or securom on it because they are Naasty

Mike_B
17th Feb 2006, 16:04
Demo doesn't use copy protection to my knowledge.

danielfaustino
17th Feb 2006, 16:26
Yes it does :-/ Unfortunately in my case it seems....
I tried to run the demo and a window came up with this:

(Portuguese - my WinXP is in Portuguese)
"Um modulo de seguranca requerido nao pode ser ativado. Este programa nao pode ser executado."

(English)
--> A security module couldn't be activated. This program cannot be executed.

So then I thought it could be connected to some sort of protection as I heard some protections were installing drivers and what not. Don't know if that means anything but it seems it has some sort of protection. And now I can't use the demo!!

:-( Never had this problem! And I didn't know companies now put protections in Demos.... I have no problem with it as long as I don't have to be trolling the forums and websites only to make a demo work :-(

It's extremely unpleasant.

Any help is greatly appreciated :) TIA

(Using WinXP with SP1)

EDIT: I put my problem in the Technical Forum section:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=543199#post543199

Xcom
17th Feb 2006, 16:30
I think it needs you to have administrator rights in your WinXP.

danielfaustino
17th Feb 2006, 16:32
I have. I bought the laptop with a copy of WinXP and since then I already formatted it with the provided recovery cd's. And I have full administrative rights.

Xcom
17th Feb 2006, 16:46
Try setting compatibility to Windows2000 on the csf exe.

ps. Demos don't have security protection.

danielfaustino
17th Feb 2006, 17:00
Thanks for replying so fast :)

No, that didn't work. Same problem.

And this time I searched google for any program that could search the exe's for protections and it reported this:
[16:59:46] SecuROM 7.00.00.0009 detected -> C:\Jogos\Commandos Strike Force Demo\CommXPC.exe
[16:59:47] --- File(s) Scan Finished [1.96s] ---

It seems it really has protection. Is it bad? Will it prevent me from playing the demo/game when it comes out?

I really wanted to play the demo this time around because since it's the first time it's a FPS I don't know if I'll buy it.

Xcom
17th Feb 2006, 17:06
Hm.

SecuROM is for protection on CDs/DVDs. It may be present in the build of the demo, but it's inactive, otherwise everybody would have gotten errors.

Do you have any anti-virus programmes, firewalls, emulation programmes running? I suggest you disconnect from Internet, close all those and try again. If that doesn't help, we'll think further.

danielfaustino
17th Feb 2006, 17:29
Hmm, okay.

I have ESET NOD32 as antivirus, Kerio Personal Firewall 4 and I have DemonTools installed for using my copy of Adobe Photoshop since it's so expensive and I don't want to risk ruining the cd :cool: again.. :o

I closed all of them and the same problem happened. Nothing solved.

Xcom
17th Feb 2006, 17:55
I closed all of them and the same problem happened. Nothing solved.

Are you sure you really closed them? Like nothing runs in Win taskmanager?
I have been googling around, and it seems that only people who have these DemonTools / Alcohol / CloneCD programs seem to get these errors. Not sure what can be done here, other than uninstalling them.. :o

danielfaustino
17th Feb 2006, 17:58
I'll check the Task Manager then. If that doesn't work I'll uninstall daemontools :) Whatever needed to make this work :D

Bowtome
17th Feb 2006, 18:39
I have had same problem with Battleforce 2 and now with this, its the protection , it doesnt like Daemon tools or any emulator.

now this sucks, because I cant try demo I dont buy game.

Also I have had bf 1942 disks crack and paid for new ones and AOM disk 1, Microsoft wanted to charge me £17-99 for a replacement for a game that cost me £34 so I had to go buy it again luckily for £19-99, I now try and mount all my legit owned games, BF2, AOE3 etc.

This is a protection issue believe me.

danielfaustino
17th Feb 2006, 18:52
Uninstalled everything and still the same problem :confused: :(

I even tried closing everything and the same window popped up.

SeekerSK
17th Feb 2006, 19:18
I'm having the same prob. I double click on it and nothing happens. I don't have daemon tools, alcohol, or clonecd installed... although I might have had em on here at some point. Pretty sure I never put them on here though. Any other programs the protection doesn't like? Anything else I have is what came on the laptop in the first place. So far it looks like they've lost my business. Too bad, I've bought and enjoyed all the other commandos games.

danielfaustino
17th Feb 2006, 19:25
It's getting frustrating. The strangest thing is that it's the first time I had this sort of problem with a demo...

jaywalker2309
17th Feb 2006, 21:13
The exe is encrypted so as not to be usable to crack the final released exe. Its not linked to a disc or anything like that.

If you are certain you are not running any emulator tools or any daemon tools you can pm me and i'll try and help you

bjorno68
18th Feb 2006, 14:00
I get the same message. I removed Daemon tools and Alc 120% and cleared the register from them. Removed the demo, rebooted a couple of times and re-installed the demo. No luck.:mad:

jaywalker2309
18th Feb 2006, 14:11
sometimes uninstalling doesnt remove all the extra stuff those programs install.

boneknocker
18th Feb 2006, 14:31
Just turn of a program that can make you pass the SR7 or SR9 protection !!! I just turn off Antiblah and now I can play it !! Not necessary to uninstall it or any programs like antivirus or Daemon tool !!!

jaywalker2309
18th Feb 2006, 14:33
Just turn of a program that can make you pass the SR7 or SR9 protection !!! I just turn off Antiblah and now I can play it !! Not necessary to uninstall it or any programs like antivirus or Daemon tool !!!

would definitely never advise anyone to uninstall antivirus software to get a game running!!! :)

Disabling the virtual drives is usually enough that is true :)

boneknocker
18th Feb 2006, 14:40
why to turn off virtual drive program ? i still running it while i playing a game ! it not necessary to do that just turn off any programs like Antiblah !!

jaywalker2309
18th Feb 2006, 14:48
It helped someone this morning.. so i will advise it..

Natace
19th Feb 2006, 06:35
This isn't the first time i have had a problem with a freaking demo and copyright protection, i'm going to uninstall Daemon tools, as it is about the only thing on here that that has been mentioned, and I am giong to try and run the demo in win2000 mode...

I think this whole demo protection business is goddamn ridiculous, from what I have seen of the files and stuff, it looks like the devs have just cut some folders out of the game done a few little things to make it have advertisements upon exiting, and they have kept the copyright protection on there, so people can't use the exe file for the full game to crack it...I find this to be extremely frustrating, I really want to play this demo, but because of one stupid little thing...I can't....aaaarg. Thats a 600mb + demo, and half a day spent downloading it, and this happens....this is ridiculous!

jaywalker2309
19th Feb 2006, 09:17
And i've said it before and will keep saying it.. if YOU were the owner of this game and had developed it would you just release it without any protection whatsoever so people can crack it? i seriously doubt it..