PDA

View Full Version : Attack Moscow from Finland?

Dasara II
14th Feb 2006, 11:21
Just recently got this game and love the 3D battles – especially with the Battlemod 1.1.

I like playing as Russia and I find it bizarre that you can attack Moscow from Finland, this is a real weakness for Russia! I can not think of a case for allowing this to happen. I have looked the tech forum to see if this is a mistake and I can find no mention of this as an issue.

Does anyone else think that attacking Moscow from Finland to be a little weird?

General Skobby
14th Feb 2006, 14:13
yes i know the provinces for russia are unreal but if finland links to moscow technically, in this game this can happen

Lefebvre
14th Feb 2006, 15:22
In fact you can attack across the 2 provinces between Finland and Russia, the obvious one with the capital in it as well as the one to the north east.

In reality it should be that way since there is a long border between the 2 countries that has been protected by troops (on and off) for centuries. For a long time more recently it was the most militarised place on the planet.

It is probably fair to have the game work that way so that Russia has at least some threat value to Finland and vice versa. Without that Russia would be too easy to defend, don't you think? ;)

Dasara II
14th Feb 2006, 16:01
Yes, I guess your right, Lefebvre, Russia can also use that path to go through Scandinavia.

I just find myself, as Russia, being attacked from 3 fronts and I thought that the snowy north would be a relatively quite front, but it seems to be the place that I have all the action. Either Sweden or the British are always attacking me and it seems very hard to defend!

In this case, a good offense makes the best defense :rolleyes:

sigge
14th Feb 2006, 17:01
I'm sorry for asking, but what is Battlemod 1.1

Dasara II
15th Feb 2006, 01:29
Hi Sigge
I was in the Tech forum and found a thread called "IG mods database", this has a link to another web site that contains over 50 IG mods :D

Here is the link to that thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=54606

Also, this is the readme on what the Battlemod does, I like the increased numbers and range of weapons. I find the battles take that little bit longer and it weakens the effectiveness of the militia. :thumbsup:

Battlemod v1.1 Readme:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Increase unit sizes to 100 infantry, 60 cavalry, 5 artillery, slightly reduce unit movement and formation speeds, slightly raise musketry/artillery ranges, progressively (by range) reduce musketry and artillery accuracy, make light infantry faster and give them longer range, slightly reduce AI tendency to start infantry melee, reduce AI tendency to build militia, howitzers and light infantry

I would certainly recommend giving it a go :)

General Skobby
15th Feb 2006, 07:27
Where do Brits attack you coz they're kinda the opposite end of the map?

Lefebvre
15th Feb 2006, 12:09
Where do Brits attack you coz they're kinda the opposite end of the map?
I'm guessing that the British friendly annexed Sweden or landed their forces through Norway (as they often do) and conquered Sweden that way. They would probably only have to fight one or two battles to do that. Sweden's AI tends not to prepare very well at the beginning I find.

If I play as Russia I tend to take Finland anyway, just to secure that frontier with a barracks stocked with cheap troops.

@Dasara II - what I do in that case is to secure the northern route (as above) and not fight for the territories in the south. If attacked from Poland or Moldavia just defend the Russian capital and then counter-attack when your army is good and ready and the enemy forces are spread out in the south ;) always works for me anyhow.

sigge
15th Feb 2006, 13:22
Hi Sigge
I was in the Tech forum and found a thread called "IG mods database", this has a link to another web site that contains over 50 IG mods :D

Here is the link to that thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=54606

Also, this is the readme on what the Battlemod does, I like the increased numbers and range of weapons. I find the battles take that little bit longer and it weakens the effectiveness of the militia. :thumbsup:

Battlemod v1.1 Readme:
Increase unit sizes to 100 infantry, 60 cavalry, 5 artillery, slightly reduce unit movement and formation speeds, slightly raise musketry/artillery ranges, progressively (by range) reduce musketry and artillery accuracy, make light infantry faster and give them longer range, slightly reduce AI tendency to start infantry melee, reduce AI tendency to build militia, howitzers and light infantry

I would certainly recommend giving it a go :)

I think you like 999999999999999 times luv ya <33a3a3<<3

Dasara II
16th Feb 2006, 03:20
@Dasara II - what I do in that case is to secure the northern route (as above) and not fight for the territories in the south. If attacked from Poland or Moldavia just defend the Russian capital and then counter-attack when your army is good and ready and the enemy forces are spread out in the south ;) always works for me anyhow.

Thanks Lefebvre, that sounds like a good idea. I am always put under pressure by trying to take the Ottomans out early in the game and then secure Moldavia. Unfortunately, Poland or Prussia seem to intervene when I at my weakest (taking Anatolia) and cut my empire in half, then I never recover! :(

Also, I would have thought that a Napoleonic game you would have been able to play as the Ottomans. A the very least I think that the Anatolia Provence is to big and should have been split into 2. Just my thoughts, that's all.

Lefebvre
17th Feb 2006, 01:40
.. I am always put under pressure by trying to take the Ottomans out early in the game and then secure Moldavia. Unfortunately, Poland or Prussia seem to intervene .. and cut my empire in half ..

oh yes my friend, now that's the real bind with that sector of the map, the fact it's got more holes than a pair of the wife's fishnets. I tried all ways round to secure that border, but it's way too spread out and patchy.

Even if you can hang on for grim death in that eastern sector it costs so many troops it becomes a pyrrhic victory. Far better to conserve your troops for a fight you can win eh? ;)

Here's a thing, did you ever notice that troops can bypass to the north *and* south of Moldavia to invade Russia? Try throwing your blokes through that narrow gap between the southern flank of Moldavia and the Black Sea, it's a real doozy.

As for Anatolia, yeah it maybe should have been divided into smaller chunks.
The maps are so damn good to play though, I'd love to see more of them so I'm up for breaking larger provinces up into pieces anyway, just for the extra maps :)

General Skobby
23rd Feb 2006, 06:51
Also, I would have thought that a Napoleonic game you would have been able to play as the Ottomans. A the very least I think that the Anatolia Provence is to big and should have been split into 2. Just my thoughts, that's all.

At least in to 2 hopefully much moore than that

mongoose8
2nd Mar 2006, 19:21
Just recently got this game and love the 3D battles – especially with the Battlemod 1.1.

I like playing as Russia and I find it bizarre that you can attack Moscow from Finland, this is a real weakness for Russia! I can not think of a case for allowing this to happen. I have looked the tech forum to see if this is a mistake and I can find no mention of this as an issue.

Does anyone else think that attacking Moscow from Finland to be a little weird?
uh....have you tried to attack moscow yet? with alot of artillery you could hold that place forever

Lefebvre
3rd Mar 2006, 11:48
uh....have you tried to attack moscow yet? with alot of artillery you could hold that place forever

hehe yeah it seems that way matey, it's probably the most complete defensive structure in the game, but it has weaknesses that can be exploited ;)

If the defenders have lots of arty but not much infantry it is a doddle to take with cavalry supported with light infantry just by sending your cavalry up against the arty batteries one by one. In one game the defenders had a lot of arty and no infantry at all and I took Moscow with one regiment of cavalry :D

There are also weak walls that can be bombarded to provide additional entry points if you attack them with ranged arty and follow up with an infantry assault. One time the defenders had only cavalry to defend with and that was an easy victory too.

It all depends on the mixture of troops the defending AI deploys ;)

mongoose8
22nd Mar 2006, 01:15
hehe yeah it seems that way matey, it's probably the most complete defensive structure in the game, but it has weaknesses that can be exploited ;)

If the defenders have lots of arty but not much infantry it is a doddle to take with cavalry supported with light infantry just by sending your cavalry up against the arty batteries one by one. In one game the defenders had a lot of arty and no infantry at all and I took Moscow with one regiment of cavalry :D

There are also weak walls that can be bombarded to provide additional entry points if you attack them with ranged arty and follow up with an infantry assault. One time the defenders had only cavalry to defend with and that was an easy victory too.

It all depends on the mixture of troops the defending AI deploys ;)
this is true.....BECAUSE if they are pretty balanced, its tough....and its hard to exploit the weak points if their arty is picking you apart from the walls....not fun "matey"