PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Fire

Eminar
13th Feb 2006, 22:46
I skimmed through the manual but didn't notice if it discussed friendly fire. I did notice my artilary blasting my own infantry when said infantry were trading shots very close to another unit of enemy infantry that the artilary was also targeting.

So I assume friendly artilary fire is taken into account from my previous observation, but is friendly infantry fire a concern? I have not noticed it yet, but want to be sure!

MikeJW
13th Feb 2006, 23:15
I dont think so. I've lined up units one behind the other and never saw any killed by FF.

Eminar
14th Feb 2006, 01:17
After playing some more I noticed that there is no FF from infantry. I need to learn how to use artilary, since I seem to receive a lot of my casualties from them then the enemy!! lol

MikeJW
14th Feb 2006, 03:11
I like howitzers. Shorter range than a cannon but they can shoot over your units.

General Skobby
14th Feb 2006, 04:58
bEST TACTIC: Put ur cannon on a hill and take the defence while mayb something like dragoons skirmish them and in the meanwile just line up your troops so ur in a god position and got bonuses. Then get your arty to fire at them when they're in range and just dissasemble it when it gets too close.

Lefebvre
14th Feb 2006, 14:55
MikeJW is right on the money there, howitzers fire over your troops, even if you set your infantry in square and put your howitzers in the middle (have you tried that yet?) ;)

Indeed there is no FF from infantry or from dragoons as far as I've ever seen.

MikeJW
14th Feb 2006, 23:00
Why, yes I have tried that. To let of steam I go into quick battle and select enough infantry units to do that for my howitzers then for the other side I chose nothing but militia. They cant get through the squares and I enjoy the arty blowing the crap out of them.

hen5ri
14th Feb 2006, 23:06
Why, yes I have tried that. To let of steam I go into quick battle and select enough infantry units to do that for my howitzers then for the other side I chose nothing but militia. They cant get through the squares and I enjoy the arty blowing the crap out of them.

REmember that this applies to Howitzers, but cannons (12-pounders for example) shoot in a straight line, so don<t put infantry in front of them unlless the artillery is on a hill and the infantry is downslope enough so that shells can go over them. And when you infantry engages, stop the artillery from firing into the fray.

Henri

Lefebvre
15th Feb 2006, 11:53

oh aye, that's a hoot when you get them in open ground like that - the only watchword is to be careful they don't get too close to your square while you're still firing arty at 'em, otherwise your cannons will continue to fire towards them and will cause FF casualties with wayward shots :o

hardyea
5th Mar 2006, 02:00
There is FF on in my game. When I shoot with my lines behind each other, they sometimes kill my own soldiers.