PDA

View Full Version : help for a beginner

yanpa
13th Feb 2006, 14:10
Hi i have just start playing imperial glory and i have a simple question it is aobut diplomacy I am playing with france and just a few turns after the beginning england takes hannover and portugal with diplomacy (they loved 100%) i would like to know if there is anything similar i can do, and also if someone wants to tell me about anything about diplomacy i will read it because i want to learn about it, thanks everybody

bye :cool:

Hengist_Sharpe
13th Feb 2006, 15:26
Build a Consulate and then Newspaper offices in the country that you wish to peacefully assimilate.

MikeJW
13th Feb 2006, 23:37
I'm a newbie too. It can take a while to peacefuly annex countries but you need to do trade deals, enter alliances, basicly just be friendly to them. When their sympathy is 95 build a consulate in their capital as this will give you the needed extra 5 points and shortly they will join your country. In my current campaign I'm France and the Brits went colonial everywhere. I noticed most of their units were militia in the colonies which become useless once you unlock the square formation so I went to war with GB starting in Portugaul. When I wiped out their forces I was given the option to withdraw or stay and seize control. I withdrew which gives you a good boost in sympathy their and worldwide. I stayed friendly to them and went on liberating GBs other colonies and the sympathy boosts for freeing them rather than seizing them allowed me to peacefuly annex Portugaul, Morroco, Lombardy, the Papal States, the Two Italys,Helvetian republic,Piedmont and all of N. Africa. You can not peacfuly annex on of the main empires like Austria or Russia.
Some more general advice: I'd start a campaign on easy. You need not finish it but the diplomacy options and tech trees are better doing easy and there is all kind of subtle things in this game. Alliances are key. An allied nation wont betray you while the treaty is in effect so if your France and want to fight Spain with peace of mind enter a defensive alliance with Britain and Austria since their the two big powers nearest you and the smaller nations like Batavia are unlikely to attack because your allied with such countries. that allows you to leave a token force at home while your best units hit Spain. Do as many advances as possible for the economy, ex. sawmills and trade branches. Money is very important as you can buy peace with it. And if you have to sue for peace then if possible use the diplomacy screen to sell some food or goods to that country to get that money back. What else? Oh, I prefer howitzers to cannons because you can put them in the back and they'll shoot over your guys. I found the light infantry better for my use than line infantry since mostly militia or cav go melee and you need square formations to fight both. Do the quests. Not only do you get big points but you sometimes get great awards like one will give you two field marshals with a full army for both.

General Skobby
14th Feb 2006, 05:02
trade is what i say

Once i was playing as france and i had over +500 gold when only trading with britain best is sea ways

Lefebvre
14th Feb 2006, 15:14
what Hengist_Sharpe and MikeJW say is so true, those buildings are absolutely the key to unocking peaceful annexation of other nations.

I always preferred the military option before now, just sending armies in to conquer the enemy. But -
I just completed a successful campaign (only on easy setting) using those diplomatic options for the first time and I had battles in only 5 or 6 provinces in the whole campaign. The rest of the job was done with diplomacy.

One thing to watch out for -
When you're building diplomatic buildings in a country try right clicking it to make sure nobody else is building the same things as you, if they get to 100% before you they take the country first. You can tell if someone else is building the same things if their sympathy rating jumps up by 5-20% in a short time.
If it looks like they will beat you to it you may as well cancel the building and use the resources elsewhere, unless you can improve your rating with them another way.

Lastly - there is also a Quest option to improve your global sympathy rating too, use that to boost your overall chances of assimilating nations peacefully.

hth dude ;)

hen5ri
14th Feb 2006, 23:03
Hi i have just start playing imperial glory and i have a simple question it is aobut diplomacy I am playing with france and just a few turns after the beginning england takes hannover and portugal with diplomacy (they loved 100%) i would like to know if there is anything similar i can do, and also if someone wants to tell me about anything about diplomacy i will read it because i want to learn about it, thanks everybody

bye :cool:
You should know that it takes about five years to get the game going before you get to fight effectively as France. During this time, work on getting Spain to join you by the usual peaceful means while you are building up your economy, and possibly getting minor neighbors to join you peacefully. Avoid attacking major powers at all cost. Since you can never assimilate a major capital neither by force or diplomacy, if you are forced to fight one, once they are crippled leave the capital alone, otherwise, until the very late game, you will not have enough occupation forces to prevent revolts that can cripple you. Unless circumstances dictate otherwise, plan on attacking Portugal at some point, which will probably mean war with Britain. If they are allied with Austria and Prussia, don't do it - taking on all 3 at once early on is suicide.When you take a neutral territory by force, liberate it and get out - your popularity will shoot up and after two or three of those, many countries will join you peacefully. When at war with Britain, blockade their ports to cripple their economy.

The above is based on the Brady guide and it works.There are a lot of other subtleties, but the main thing to remember is that early game military rushes are a recipe for disaster.

Henri

MikeJW
14th Feb 2006, 23:07
Later in the game you can fund rebellions in nuetral countries that have been taken over. It only works if the occupation force is small and its expensive but its nice to use if another country takes a territory you want and you dont want to go to war with the bigger country. I used it last night when I decided to subjugate Austria. Their army jumped to Lombardy and liberated it and before I could take it back Russia got it. For 10,000 gold I funded an uprising that kicked the Czarist out and then only had to fight the now weakened army I raised. Russia just looked on from their borders like "but, but, but that was ours."
As France I found Spain can be taken easily early. When you decide to go to war take more forces than you think you need to because your units have to occupy the capital for a period of time until they are assimilated. The time depends on the number and quality of troops and while this happens you may have uprisings that can slowly wear down your forces so always have reinforcements near. To take a major empire. one of the playable five occupy their territories and sue for peace without taking their capital. The big five can only be subjugated and its not worth completly taking them over.

General Skobby
15th Feb 2006, 07:59
You should know that it takes about five years to get the game going before you get to fight effectively as France. During this time, work on getting Spain to join you by the usual peaceful means while you are building up your economy, and possibly getting minor neighbors to join you peacefully.
It's easy to attack it coz if you keep building line infantry a. you will outnumber them and b. you will be better than them. and later on you can free portugal from brit rule coz normally the ab\nnex them