PDA

View Full Version : Roaming minutes on TRL?!

TRfan
9th Jan 2006, 20:55
I was wondering if there will be times like on TR1 when you would basically roam a cave for a go 4-5 minutes until ever coming across some action. Remember roaming the cave in the first level and then coming across that 1st bear that scared the hell out of ya?!

And I read somewhere that TRL wasnt going to have a simple "find the lever, beat the level" system anymore and that everything would be like solving a puzzle...

... I personally like pulling levers and pressing buttons. I know they'll still have levers and buttons but I dont want to be overwhelmed with "puzzle solving."

I dunno... I like roaming, sometimes.

Guess I'll just wait until the game comes out.

dhama
9th Jan 2006, 21:37
Well at least there will be no pushing of blocks to and fro, she will be pushing balls to and fro instead ;) .............. :confused:

Johnny
10th Jan 2006, 01:54
The last thing I want is yet another push-the-switch-and-find-the-door kind of Tomb Raider. :rolleyes: I'm ready for a challenge now. :cool:

SasaPisa
10th Jan 2006, 04:04
I have to confess to being a fan of long lonely walks through ancient and beautiful tombs. And, yes, a fan of levers and switches. I adored the pre-antlantean levels of the original.

For all the diversity of locations the original and the immediate sequel had they were often lonely games, but in a good way, just me and the old girl traipsing about in places of exotic mystery...looking for levers.

They were very focused game albeit it with simplistic game mechanics. But, I think the simplicity worked in favor of the game. Lets be honest,aside from the beauty of the locations and Ms. Croft's cup size, it was all about levers, scale of environment, and jump puzzles. I'm absolutley fine with that.

It seems to me that the further the game has strayed from those strengths in search of a something new the worse the franchise has done.

Some of the new features of Legend strike me as novelties; I loathe novelty for novelties sake.

With that in mind I would infinitely prefer a well placed lever to a "super action sequence"…or, worse yet, an incessantly talking Zip to ruin the joy of my solitude. How I hate that wretched urban brogue of his from Chronicles.

carlo
10th Jan 2006, 12:22
This article on gamespot might answer a few peoples questions

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/tombraidervii/news.html?sid=6136401

StarChampagne
10th Jan 2006, 18:14
I have always loved lever puzzles - it gives you a chance to enjoy the scenery and allows for some back-and-forth style play. It would be nice to have SOME puzzles like these, including 'find the key for the door' - while dated, CD should remember why we fell in love with the series in the first place (not JUST about Lara's cup-size heheh).

I agree with roaming... the haunting, all-by-yourself feeling makes Tomb Raider what it is. In Last Revelation, you have an NPC guide for the first three levels, and when the guide left you I remember feeling terrified and truly alone (I was only young :o ). Having a tech team nattering in Lara's ear will probably detract from that. Having the team THERE, even if they don't speak, is enough to spoil the mood for me. And I don't like the sound of super-action sequences, last-chance grabs or any of the other frivolities. This is Tomb Raider!! Not some cheap arcade game. </RANT> :D Well that's my opinion...

star girl
10th Jan 2006, 18:50
I agree with StarChampagne. I think we should have some time to roam around as well. You know, discover some moves and take a breather. I always did that.

Dimension Dude
10th Jan 2006, 23:44
I also agree with roam-around time, just wouldn't be Tomb Raider without it. Now roam-around time + everything interactive would be best - imagine going so far as to make it possible for Lara to sit down on a rock and enjoy the waterfalls, or while swimming in the pools, make it possible to catch the fish. Or even possible to pick up rocks and skim them across the pool for no other reason than for the fun of it.

TRfan
11th Jan 2006, 01:19
lol

I used to pretend to make her eat salad out of those stone bowls in TR1 :p

Mangar The Dark
11th Jan 2006, 16:46
I defintiely want roaming time in Legend. Some of my favorite moments in TR are when I would be walking around some new, interesting environment, just absorbing it and feeling like I'm exploring some place that people have seen for thousands of years. The Lost Valley comes to mind immediately. I loved just walking around that waterfall, then climbing up to the top of it, discovering a little bridge, etc. I thought TR2 lost this a bit because it seemed like an enemy was popping out every five seconds, spoiling the fun of exploration (not on all levels, but a lot of them.)
With Legend's fantastic graphics it would be a shame if we didn't get the chance to just walk around a bit and appreciate it. Of course, I don't want the levels to be dull, but a few minutes of peace and quiet every now and then would be great.

susan
11th Jan 2006, 17:04
I have always loved lever puzzles - it gives you a chance to enjoy the scenery and allows for some back-and-forth style play. It would be nice to have SOME puzzles like these, including 'find the key for the door' - while dated, CD should remember why we fell in love with the series in the first place (not JUST about Lara's cup-size heheh).

I agree with roaming... the haunting, all-by-yourself feeling makes Tomb Raider what it is. In Last Revelation, you have an NPC guide for the first three levels, and when the guide left you I remember feeling terrified and truly alone (I was only young :o ). Having a tech team nattering in Lara's ear will probably detract from that. Having the team THERE, even if they don't speak, is enough to spoil the mood for me. And I don't like the sound of super-action sequences, last-chance grabs or any of the other frivolities. This is Tomb Raider!! Not some cheap arcade game. </RANT> :D Well that's my opinion...Totally agree.

And, games with "Super-action" style sequences remind me of Devil May Cry. What a bore that was. :rolleyes:

Mangar The Dark
11th Jan 2006, 17:17
And I don't like the sound of super-action sequences, last-chance grabs or any of the other frivolities. This is Tomb Raider!! Not some cheap arcade game. </RANT> :D Well that's my opinion...

What's wrong with last chance grabs? From what I understand, it's not like the game will complete every jump for you automatically, it's just giving you more split second chance to correct yourself if you mistimed a jump. Isn't that better than throwing your controller at the monitor and having to reload everytime?

WraithStar
11th Jan 2006, 17:26
What's wrong with last chance grabs? From what I understand, it's not like the game will complete every jump for you automatically, it's just giving you more split second chance to correct yourself if you mistimed a jump. Isn't that better than throwing your controller at the monitor and having to reload everytime?

Yeah, last-minute grabs sounds good, especially now that it's save-points instead of save/load anywhere. I'm sure that the game can be done in such a way that the puzzles are physics-based and we still have plenty of reasons to explore the environment and go sight-seeing:)

StarChampagne
12th Jan 2006, 18:24
Save points instead of save anywhere? Oh dear. *swears* I really need save anywhere... in that case, maybe last chance grabs are redeemable. Maybe. I still want it to be quite possible to die through missing a jump. But hey. I have no idea how it will turn out in the game.

Room to roam!! =)

TRfan
12th Jan 2006, 21:13
I love the blue crystal save points. It forces you to play the game for hours. Its like you spend a half hour trying to beat something only to die and spend another half hour trying to get back to where u died and usually once you past that, something new happens so then you wanna try that... big fun.

Joshorty
13th Jan 2006, 05:18
The puzzle...from the demo videos I've seen, they may be VERY in-obvious to me :confused: I hope I'll solve the puzzles in time. And the first time I 've seen a Tomb Raider game was actually from the first title, which I loved. Everthing in it - the soundtrack - the graphics - voice acting (especially voice acting) - the story - it's just so good! It's so cinematic like! All the other TR titles had lost that touch :(

Mangar The Dark
13th Jan 2006, 15:13
I have to admit, I do not like the idea of save points. I really hope there are PLENTY of them scattered throughout, because I absolutely hate having to replay large portions of a game (that's part of the reason I gave up on Prince Of Persia-- the save points always came after some insanely difficult fight, and since I couldn't beat the fights, I couldn't save, which meant I had to replay large chunks of the level just to get back to the fight and then die again. Woo-hoo... what fun! Back to the store you go!)

jaywalker2309
13th Jan 2006, 17:44
Save points instead of save anywhere? Oh dear. *swears* I really need save anywhere... in that case, maybe last chance grabs are redeemable. Maybe. I still want it to be quite possible to die through missing a jump. But hey. I have no idea how it will turn out in the game.

Room to roam!! =)

It works well, believe me.. :) save points are well balanced through the levels, and the last chance grabs are really quite intense when u've just done a really complicated sequence u can feel your palms sweating :)

Jorge22
13th Jan 2006, 20:09
Sorry to say I'm totally against save points. In TR you always got the chance to save anywhere that was needed and that was great. It's great for any game too. You'd never get past Max Payne without being able to save where you wish to. The same for, say, Alice. Or any of the best WWII games. One things that irritates me in an otherwise great game - Mafia, that is - is that it's all about save points. I'm replaying it and I'm really getting tired of replaying the exact same sequence over and over again.

SasaPisa
13th Jan 2006, 20:29
Save points are a console feature I'd prefer stay on that limited platform. Floating blue diamonds have as little place in TR for the pc as little floating hands and "super action sequence" key directions popping up midscreen.

I really wish pc games and console games could detach themselves from one another. The demographics are arguably different enought to justify seperate production cycles. I understand it's a money issue but I'm sick of multiplatform games being developed for the lowest common denominator and then ported to pc.

Joshorty
13th Jan 2006, 20:52
I didnt enjoy the "save-anywhere" feature in Aod. Probably you guys get the idea. It's soooooooo slow to load....PC's a flash! One way or the other, I dont mind as long as there would be a TR game!

TRfan
13th Jan 2006, 21:03
if anything, they should allow you to collect them and be able to save at any point by using them. but even then, I'd hope they they were scattered far apart.

WraithStar
13th Jan 2006, 22:12
if anything, they should allow you to collect them and be able to save at any point by using them. but even then, I'd hope they they were scattered far apart.

That's even worse. Then I'd be overly concerned about running out of save-gems later and I'd end up not saving at all :rolleyes: Any game that has save-points in it instantly becomes a lot less fun for me. Once they remove my ability to save whenever I want to (and load where I saved, not have to walk back from the last checkpoint I reached), the game becomes all about making it to the next checkpoint, feeling some relief, and then debating if I want to go through the stress of not knowing when the next time I can save will be. Blood Omen 2 was pretty well-balanced as far as checkpoints go (so much so that I almost forgot it was check-point based), but Soul Reaver 1, Soul Reaver 2, and Defiance were horrible in that respect. Hopefully the checkpoints will be distributed like in Blood Omen 2, not the other games.

SasaPisa
13th Jan 2006, 23:39
You know...thinking more on it, it's not really the feature that bothers me as much as the implementation. Big blue flashing diamonds just take me right out of any immersion i'd had up to that point.

If they somehow inserted save point discreetly, oh say...a burned out campfire, or the bones of a previous explorer, maybe just a nice little spot with some little trinket or the remains of an ancient makeshift meal..that might be alright.

Part of the fun might be running around with a sliver of health and no medpacks praying that out-of-the-way grassy ledge near the waterfall is a save point!...maybe they could give it away on closer inspection with subtle lighting although I know some of you hated the "shiny" clues in AOD.

I'm simply opposed to anything that potentially shatters my suspension of disbelief without VERY good justification.

Joshorty
14th Jan 2006, 16:22
That's even worse. Then I'd be overly concerned about running out of save-gems later and I'd end up not saving at all :rolleyes: Any game that has save-points in it instantly becomes a lot less fun for me. Once they remove my ability to save whenever I want to (and load where I saved, not have to walk back from the last checkpoint I reached), the game becomes all about making it to the next checkpoint, feeling some relief, and then debating if I want to go through the stress of not knowing when the next time I can save will be. Blood Omen 2 was pretty well-balanced as far as checkpoints go (so much so that I almost forgot it was check-point based), but Soul Reaver 1, Soul Reaver 2, and Defiance were horrible in that respect. Hopefully the checkpoints will be distributed like in Blood Omen 2, not the other games.

Me too! I'm very conservative when it comes to these things therefore, playing the levels back later would leave me plenty of ammo and save points, etc to enjoy with....I REALLY hope they can allow level playback :( I'd be more than happy to have that rather than saving at every level :confused: , wasting memory space (besides the PC).