PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievably Slow

Marius Delphus
3rd Jan 2006, 23:23
Just purchased Lego Star Wars to play on my machine. The game and FMVs are all incredibly slow, playing at only a few frames per second (the sound in the FMVs lags behind the video, so that the sound plays completely through at normal speed while the FMV slideshows toward completion); none of the frames are left out of the animation, so gameplay is something like 1/4 to 1/8 of the speed it "ought" to be (or at least the speed at which the demo played). The game plays at the same speed at all resolutions, regardless of whether Bump Mapping or Plastic Reflections are enabled.

Accessing the game's menu and choosing controller setup, then exiting without making any changes, speeds the game up to an "acceptable" level for a few seconds but then it slows to a crawl again.

Here's my dxdiag. I'm using Catalyst 5.13 on my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Any help would be appreciated; thanks in advance.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/3/2006, 17:11:57
Machine name: ---------
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: vpr Matrix, Inc.
System Model: Personal Computer
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 361MB used, 2099MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
[EDIT: SNIP]

Marius Delphus
10th Jan 2006, 15:38
Any knowledgeable folks here that know how I can solve this one? The game really is unplayable as is. Thanks in advance.

Marius Delphus
6th Mar 2006, 18:50
Well the problem has been resolved but I'm still at pains to explain it satisfactorily. When my USB gamepad (not included in dxdiag report, thus the snip) is plugged in, the symptoms I posted occur... but when it is NOT, the game plays beautifully and as expected/hoped.

It's an El Cheapo gamepad, which might be the root of the problem, but the reason it would cause those particular symptoms eludes me entirely. So to anyone that can at least explain this one to me, I offer my thanks in advance for the insight. In any case, consider this one "resolved by user," I guess... :D

And I really love the game, now, too. Now it is way more *fun* than it "ought" to be... :thumbsup:

quejio
18th Apr 2006, 16:13
It's happens to me too!! Someone can do a patch for this???