PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity

Smoke_Z
20th Dec 2005, 03:02
Does anyone know how to deal with Static Electricity? It's pretty bad here.

This morning, I zapped my alarm clock so bad that it forgot what time it was. *sheepish giggle*

I'm afraid that I'm going to fry my computer, though. (Grounding myself against the metal parts of my furniture doesn't seem to help.)

soothsayer
20th Dec 2005, 03:15
They have a spray that stops that, check the laundry cleaner aisle.

Thats pretty bad though if your house is charged like that.
There may be something wrong with your house, it may be too close to a large electrical source, like power-lines, which may increase the risk of cancer.

blincoln
20th Dec 2005, 08:08
Maybe use a humidifier? I have a grounding bracelet, but it's so humid up here in the Northwest US that I rarely bother to use it.

Omega
20th Dec 2005, 10:28
What I'd like to know is, my brother and me were messing around with a normal (non-helium) ballon.

The ballon gathered up some static charge, and before we knew it, it was stuck to the ceiling! :confused:

How the hell does that happen?

We tried recreating the result again and again, but to no avail...

Xcom
20th Dec 2005, 18:44
How the hell does that happen?

We tried recreating the result again and again, but to no avail...

Electromagnetism. Quickly rub the balloon against a sweater or your hair, and it should stick. :D

Omega
20th Dec 2005, 22:59
Yes, but to a ceiling of plaster and paint? :confused:

TheWatcher
21st Dec 2005, 01:47
The spray soothsayer is referring to is called Static Guard. It works pretty well, but I'm not sure how you'd use it to control static in general. It's made for things like your hair. I'd also say your best bet is a humidifier (or get a houseful of hardwood floors...) ;)

blincoln
22nd Dec 2005, 03:51
Yes, but to a ceiling of plaster and paint? :confused:

Sure. A statically-charged balloon will stick to almost anything.

Omega
22nd Dec 2005, 11:23
I didn't know that, I thought a charged balloon would just stick to wool and the lines.

Interesting though - I could have some fun with this ;)