PDA

View Full Version : Legends looks great, but unfortunately for me...

Christine Kao
18th Dec 2005, 21:35
...I can't play it on a TV console because I only have a GameCube.
Does anyone know why Legends is being developed only for XBox and PlayStation 2? Is it in the developer's contract or is it just their choice? Does Nintendo not like the game?

...in fact, can anyone tell me why ALL games which are only made for two out of the three consoles are made to exclude the GameCube? It's really disappointing that I'm not allowed to play games like TR Legends or the new Castlevania simply because third parties are discriminating against the GameCube.

The only exception for a major game I can think of was Resident Evil 4, for which XBox was excluded. Even so, it was intended to be a GCN exclusive but was developed (and improved upon) for the PS2. GCN is just lucky because it managed to snag such a good third party game for once. I'm sure the word "market" is going to come up in a reply... -_-

Anyways, thanks for letting me rant a little bit. All of you who have the supported consoles are lucky because I've always thought TR games were great. :)

Treeble
18th Dec 2005, 22:04
I also have a GameCube and it also gets on my nerves that we don't get to play Tomb Raider on it. Having Resident Evil exclusive for the GameCube for a while (including the remake) was great for Capcom because it helped reviving the dead (pun intended).

I'm a Nintendo fanboy so this probably won't get nowhere, but if there's one third party game I'd want REALLY bad on GameCube is Tomb Raider. Any of them. All of them. Generates cost? Most likely. Generates profit? Most likely.

I don't care for the rest of the PS2/X games. The other games I want are all first or second party. Long live Big N! :p

Trinity34
19th Dec 2005, 00:08
Have a computer??? :)

dhama
19th Dec 2005, 09:30
To be honest, I don't think the game cube is up to the task of playing legend, although Earlier TR's might run.
Contracts with particular games machines are the norm these days.

GoranAgar
19th Dec 2005, 10:35
To be honest, I don't think the game cube is up to the task of playing legend, although Earlier TR's might run.
If the PS2 can run it the GameCube will. ;)

dhama
19th Dec 2005, 16:00
If the PS2 can run it the GameCube will. ;)

Nah! don't believe you.... it's half the size. :p
...and besides, i've seen games on both and the game cube's graphics aren't up to what Legend promises, unless they going to make it look like Mario. :D

GoranAgar
19th Dec 2005, 16:04
I could ask now: "But is the PS2 up to it?" but that usually triggers someone to explain how the PS2 is superior to all other consoles because of some very intreaguing technical details.

So I better shut up. ;)

Laraman
19th Dec 2005, 18:47
I shall get this sorted: PS2<GameCube<Xbox (or... if this is easier to read Xbox>Gamecube>PS2) :p
The PS2 is the most inferior in terms of graphics (and I'm a PS2-only owner + half-fanboy) with the Xbox leading us. See, how easy was that? :p

Anyway, in PSM2 it said that Legend is using ALL of the PS2's processing powers and graphical abilities to make it :eek:

Ooooooooh, and for the original topic: Most companies miss out GameCube because it's the least popular of the consoles. And 3rd Party titles on the Gamecube usually don't sell well. On the other consoles the games sell pretty well regardless of the publisher/developer.

Hope that helps ^_^

yesrushdt
19th Dec 2005, 19:38
Nah! don't believe you.... it's half the size. :p
...and besides, i've seen games on both and the game cube's graphics aren't up to what Legend promises, unless they going to make it look like Mario. :D

I guess you haven't seen Metroid Prime or RE4 on Gamecube then. The graphics for Legend would no doubt look better on the GC versus the PS2 (just like RE4 is better graphically on the GC).

I'm most likely getting TRL for the XBox 360 anyway though so it doesn't matter to me. :)

officerpuppy
19th Dec 2005, 20:16
Well, to my understanding, though correct me if I am wrong....

Game companys are like music artists, they sign with a company or two in our case, and in the contract they agree to publish games on that platform for X yrs and for X amount of money.

In the case of TRL, it could be that the company was not approaced by Nintedo, or vice versa. We will never really know. What we do know is that the trend will most likely continue, that GC might get exculded from certain games. This is not to say that the GC is inferior, not at all, its just a matter of money, time and contract signing.

Like someone said, GC isnt too popular, I think this is because the majority of the games seem to be targed to those say....14 and younger, while Xbox and PS2 games have an older target audience. Im not bashing GC here, im just stateing that the trend Ninento has taken for many years have always seem to be to target young gamers.

Tipsko
19th Dec 2005, 21:47
Contracts with particular games machines are the norm these days.

I believe that the Cube can produce better quality than the ps2. The GameCube can handle more polygons and higher res textures than the ps 2 if I'm not mistaken. Look at Resident Evil 4, for the PS2 version the number of polygons had to drop to match the PS2 system.

The thing that the PS2 has in it's advantage, are much bigger discs. The Gamecube discs are limited to 1.5GB and the PS2 DVD discs can get up to 4.7GB data.

Cube Details (http://www.nintendo.com/techspecgcn)

PS2 details (http://au.playstation.com/ps2/hardware/ps2consoletechspecs.jhtml)

dhama
19th Dec 2005, 22:20
I believe that the Cube can produce better quality than the ps2. The GameCube can handle more polygons and higher res textures than the ps 2 if I'm not mistaken.

But even if that were so, it still can't handle Eidos marketing power. ;)

Tipsko
19th Dec 2005, 22:48
lol nope, it's too bad that the cube isn't as popular as the playstation or the xbox in Europe and America. As there is hardware wise nothing wrong with the console, developers seem to be more behind the playstation and xbox, causing the cube getting less and less popular.

Oh well, it's at the top in Japan though :D

CatSuit&Ponytail
19th Dec 2005, 23:17
I love my Game Cube most of all. *hugs little box*

But my PC gets all my attention. ;)

Trinity34
20th Dec 2005, 02:40
Thanks a lot Goran. :p

Christine Kao
20th Dec 2005, 08:06
Heh thanks for replying guys...I know the GameCube isn't very popular, boo...~

oh well...can always play TR legends at a friend's house... ^^;;

Deviancy
22nd Dec 2005, 03:13
Or trade in that pile for a real console ;)...

I think the gamecube thing is pure nostalgia. Every game i've seen for it is basically a hopped up version of an old nintendo classic. It's either link or metroid or mario or this or that. They lost their edge sadly which is a shame because the Gamecube did have pretty fast processor in it. I think it can handle bump mapping as well which is something the PS2 just can't do. The xbox can though :D

Treeble
22nd Dec 2005, 12:50
I think the gamecube thing is pure nostalgia. Every game i've seen for it is basically a hopped up version of an old nintendo classic. It's either link or metroid or mario or this or that.

That's why I love it. Most of what you get on GameCube you won't get anywhere else because it's first or second party. I myself bought one just so I could play Super Smash Bros Melee, and after four years, I still play it quite oftenly. Discovering a Metroid game was released shortly after was like... the best thing in ages (as the Playstation was slowly killing Tomb Raider's popularity).

No comment to your first line though. A real console depends on a decent controller. Never held an Xbox one, but the Playstation controller is quite uncomfortable. Even a Sony fanboy will tell you that after having played with the GameCube controller for a while.

LCTR:AoD
29th Dec 2005, 11:57
Making TR for game cube would be good cos' iv'e got 1 along with ps1 ps2 xbox psp and so on but apparently there did/were going to make a gc version but i highly doubt it, anyway about the disc thing they could still fit 4 or so discs in the case cos' the discs there tiny. :thumbsup: