PDA

View Full Version : When was the first time u heard of lara croft?

melviso
6th Dec 2005, 16:19
the first time i heard of tombraider, i thought it was something like resident evil, of zombies and stuff, about a bad person whose job was to raid dead bodies at cementries,and steal their treasures, with moving dead people about.
when i heard of lara was when i saw the first tombraider movie.

ladylinnycroft
6th Dec 2005, 16:52
1997 for me...and hooked ever since

star girl
6th Dec 2005, 17:00
Heard it: 2001, came the game demo instead of the game [ :mad: ]

Played it: 2004... :rolleyes:

THE True Lara
6th Dec 2005, 17:25
1996, I won't bother with the story it would sound immodest.

I think it was 1998 before I actually played it though.

LilLaracroft
6th Dec 2005, 21:01
I heard about it when tomb raider 2 came out on ps1 :) i think that was 1997 or sumthing like that

Trinity34
7th Dec 2005, 00:48
My neighbor had bought a playstation for his son and had TR3 with it. I started watching him play and that was all it took... 1999 I think. :)

Deekman
7th Dec 2005, 22:25
Probably around when TRI came out.
But didn't really start playing until III came out.
I soon became addicted, found this place, and made myself at home.
Currently playing and reviewing custom levels.

John Carter
7th Dec 2005, 23:34
Sometime early in 1996 or late 1995, reading about a projected game called "Tomb Raider" in "Computer Gaming World" magazine. The upcoming game's heroine was supposed to be called "Lara Cruz" in the article, and the really cool picture showed a woman with blazing red hair in a loose bun running and shooting pistols in both hands. At the time, I thought that sounded pretty cool and kept my eye out for the game to come.... :p

Sophia Leigh
8th Dec 2005, 06:16
In 1996, I was in my final year of high school and I heard some younger boys talking about Lara Croft if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

poufy
8th Dec 2005, 08:23
Heard about and played tr in 1996 got hooked after the first movie you go girl Lara.

WraithStar
8th Dec 2005, 15:23
I can't remember when I first heard about it. The first time I saw one of the games in person was when I played a demo in CompUSA of TR2 on the PlayStation. It was alright but it didn't impress me. It was the bit with the Great Wall of China and the screen was really dark. I don't know if it was the game or the TV, but I assumed at the time that the game was really dark and I wouldn't be able to see anything. Then around the time that TR4 came out, I got a 3-pack of TR1, 2, and 3 for PC all together and I liked them, so I got the other games eventually. I found TR5 first, it took me awhile to find TR4, and I had a bad feeling about AOD because they were bragging too much and I figured they'd screw it up, but it actually was pretty good considering I got it for $5. I still don't have Lost Artifact, though (can't find it in stores and don't have a credit card, so e-bay's out :rolleyes: )

susan
8th Dec 2005, 17:45
I first heard and played TR in 1996. It was the first game I played on my lovely Playstation. :)
Sometime early in 1996 or late 1995, reading about a projected game called "Tomb Raider" in "Computer Gaming World" magazine. The upcoming game's heroine was supposed to be called "Lara Cruz" in the article, and the really cool picture showed a woman with blazing red hair in a loose bun running and shooting pistols in both hands. Hehe, you knew her way back when she was just plain old Lara Cruz. ;) Actually, I hadn't realized they'd kept that name long enough for it to be used in magazine articles. Sounds like Croft was a relatively late decision in the development process.

Mangar The Dark
8th Dec 2005, 17:59
I first heard about Lara in 1996 in a PC gaming magazine (I forget which one, but I don't think it's still being published.) The game hadn't been released yet, but they had a few screenshots which impressed me tremendously. Most were real, but some turned out to just be concept art pics.

I didn't play the game until 1997. I kept putting off buying it because I assumed it would be a run & gun game like Doom in 3rd person, and I have no interest in those. But one day I was at the store, I wanted a new PC game, didn't know what to buy, and I figured, "Ah, what the heck, I'll try it." From the first moments in The Caves, I loved it!

SethKoopa
9th Dec 2005, 17:27
I HEARD of her in a Sega magazine called "Mean machines Sega", when Tomb raider for the Saturn was about to debut. I heard of her since then. But it wasn't until 1998, when I got TRIII, that I actually started to wonder about it.

Chris Daly
18th Dec 2005, 09:48
I saw a friend playing what I think was TR3, and I think
I really struggled using the handset :rolleyes: - having never
played a Playstation game before - that was 2002.

In mid 2003 I purchased a second hand PS2 ( still going strong )
and started playing Aod and ended up playing it 3 times, before
finding how much better TR1 , TR2 ,TR4 TR3 and TR5 were. I
joined the Forums in 2003 to help others with what I knew, have
fun and learn about the games. :)

lara_legend
19th Dec 2005, 15:56
It all stardet when i was allowd to by a game for my pc.
It was really fast that i had a game to buy.
So i told my mother i had one that i wanted.
My mother told me if i was reallt sure.
Well i was because i was so wild of it.
(Stupid thing is that i forgotten the name of it)
Then my oldest sister suddenly said: And how about this one then. This looks also very nice.
That was the moment Right there. I saw lara for the first time.
When i read the back of it i was first like: Hell no!
Because i had a game that a wanted and i dindt tomb raider at all.
My mother told me: I think that you like this one better( pointing at lara) then the other game.
So after a big thinking moment and a big moment of doubt a decidet to take tomb raider.
( man i hate that when mothers are right.)
So back home i stardet playing and there were rigth away a few things wrong.
I gor angry and i was thinking to myself: Why did i bought this game after all?
But from that day and that moment i starded to love lara.
And i never stopt playing it. ;)

Solaris
22nd Dec 2005, 01:43
I started playing the game sometime in 2000. First watched my cousin play Tomb Raider 2 and I was hooked on it. :cool:

LCTR:AoD
29th Dec 2005, 12:53
I started playin 1996 wen tr 1 came out
i was lookin at games and saw it bought it strted plyin and absouloutley loved it
AOD is fav game but Legend looks good

Carolyn
29th Jan 2006, 15:01
1998 - I downloaded the TR2 demo and have been drawn into this world ever since then.
I had been a Mac user. The purchase of a non mac PC opened a whole new world of games with Lara Croft leading the way

Carolyn

Lara Croft Online
29th Jan 2006, 17:06
Late 1997 was a Mortal Kombat fan and wanted another game to play
with my brandy new PS1 and came upon TR2 in the store.
Needless to say I've been a fan ever since. :D

bedazzled
29th Jan 2006, 17:44
I first heard about Lara when I saw a tv commercial for Tomb Raider 2. Must have been when it was first released, can't remember the year.

dhama
29th Jan 2006, 19:41
Lara who? :confused:

midroth
29th Jan 2006, 22:07
Lara who? :confused:I thought so too. Was it on TV or Magazin? I donno anymore. I was looking for a new console A BIGGER ONE (I owned before Atari Lynx, Game Gear). Sonic was my game ;)
Ok, let's see: Lara ... PSX = buy the stuff.

Just week later I was playing TR2 / PS* - 'til today.
'Cause I don't like shootings with/again humans, braindead games.
I hope CD don't change it! Also I...<>

Johnny
30th Jan 2006, 21:51
I remember the good old days... It was 1996 when I caught my first glimpse of Lara Croft. I was 10 years old and my friend was bragging about a new PC game his dad bought, so he invited me over to play it. Ten years and 6 Tomb Raider games later, here I am... still a diehard Tomb Raider and Lara Croft fan. ;) Ah, the memories... :D

Rose662
31st Jan 2006, 07:12
I first heard about Tomb Raider in 1997 (we bought our first computer then).
I'm not sure exactly when TR2 came out, but it was the first TR I heard about.

I played the TR2 demo for the first time shortly after. I remember I wasn't too impressed with it because it had Lara killing dogs and nothing really exciting going on. I forgot about Tomb Raider until 2000.

Then in 2000 I heard about The Lost Artifact game and played the demo. I loved it and bought it. The rest, they say, is history. I also joined the original TR forum then. I became a Lara Croft-Tomb Raider fan.
I bought all of the past Tomb Raider games 1 through 5, including the gold levels and played them all. I have never finished TR3 due to my computer crashing twice and I am playing it again now. Hopefully, I will finish it this time around!

I played the AOD demo last month and liked it so I bought the full game for myself for Xmas. I have it installed it and have started it, but I may wait until I have finished playing TR3 before I continue with AOD.

WraithStar
31st Jan 2006, 14:33
I have never finished TR3 due to my computer crashing twice and I am playing it again now. Hopefully, I will finish it this time around!

I played the AOD demo last month and liked it so I bought the full game for myself for Xmas. I have it installed it and have started it, but I may wait until I have finished playing TR3 before I continue with AOD.

Does TR3 always crash in the same place? I always keep a save from the beginning of the level in case something happens, so I don't have to replay the entire game up to that point. Also, on PC, you can save anywhere at any time, so there's no reason not to use up all of the save spaces:)

Also, I assume you are playing AoD on PC also, so make sure you get the patches. I heard that the game is really buggy without the patches, but I played it with the patches about a year ago and I didn't have any major problems :) http://support.eidosinteractive.com/GI/CustomerSupport/FaqSearchResults.jsp?problemType=13&searchText=&game=91&platform=3

Rose662
31st Jan 2006, 23:53
Does TR3 always crash in the same place? I always keep a save from the beginning of the level in case something happens, so I don't have to replay the entire game up to that point. Also, on PC, you can save anywhere at any time, so there's no reason not to use up all of the save spaces:)

Also, I assume you are playing AoD on PC also, so make sure you get the patches. I heard that the game is really buggy without the patches, but I played it with the patches about a year ago and I didn't have any major problems :) http://support.eidosinteractive.com/GI/CustomerSupport/FaqSearchResults.jsp?problemType=13&searchText=&game=91&platform=3

No, you misunderstood me.

It wasn't TR3 that was crashing, it was my computer (from viruses).

WraithStar
1st Feb 2006, 16:38
Oh, that's bad :( I hope you can get your machine cleaned up, and not just for the sake of the game.

Rose662
4th Feb 2006, 00:24
Oh, that's bad :( I hope you can get your machine cleaned up, and not just for the sake of the game.

The problems were with my Windows Me (which I cannot always get to even run now).

I now play Tomb Raider 3 on Windows XP. Things run much smoother on it. :)

Legendary Lara Croft
4th Feb 2006, 00:39
I started playing Tomb Raider since the very beginning in 1996 when I was 12. My brother got me this game, just picked it up in the store. Mostly he got it for me because it was a female character. It was very fun to play as she looked like me, had brown hair and brown eyes. I didn't know that TR was so popular at that time as we didn't have Internet at that time, that not knowing made the game even more special to me. There were rarely some articles in magazines. Well, it's been 10 years and TR changed my life, I am so grateful to it and I will always be a fan.

graphic_designer
5th Feb 2006, 00:10
I first heard of tombraider when it first came out i was only 8!!!
and my dad had bought it for my older brother he was 10 i saw him playin thecave bit with the wolves and i was hooked!!!!!!!!! I still have all the games now

Charisma_Black
5th Feb 2006, 12:54
Gah! The first time I heard of it ... hmmm, well I'm unsure of the date ... but I knew of the game briefly... then I got the fourth game for Christmas one year ... whenever it came out ... unsure of the date :rolleyes: I enjoyed it immensely and then found myself buying the other games ... I have still to get a few ... but other than that, I have stayed loyal to the end with Lara :D

St.Francis
22nd Feb 2006, 23:51
A buddy of mine talked about a cool game back in -96. Lara Croft.........mmmm
Bought a PS1 just to try out the game. No regrets!
The game was great. I just loved the music.
I have all the games, and TR1 stands out as the best in my book.:thumbsup:

TheBoo
26th Feb 2006, 06:15
I saw an ad for Tomb Raider in PC magazine in 1996, I think. I thought it was interesting, but my 133 Pentium just couldn't handle it. In Nov 2000 I got a better comp, bought the TR1-3 trilogy, then TR4, then scored a copy of Lost Artifact, then bought TR5 and the LE, and been playing custom levels galore! Downloaded AOD from the internet (bought it online) and slowly working my way through.

I hope to get a new comp this year so I can play Legend in the highest graphic mode available!

NightRain'06
10th Apr 2006, 23:10
Copied and pasted from another thread. :)

Actually, I'm not a new TR fan. I've known TR games since the late 90's.

Okay, here's my story of how I stumbled across TR games.
I think it was back in '98 or '97 when my friend and I went into this computer store on a weekend because we were bored. I was browsing through the PC games and came across a game called 'Tomb Raider'. I took a look at back of the box and thought it was an interesting game. Of course, back then, I didn't buy it because first of all, I didn't have the money and second of all, I didn't know if it'd really work on my Pentium 200 system. So anyway, we both left the store. Two years later, I ended up buying TR3 and that's when I realized what a great game it was.

Long before TR, I've played first-person shooters like 'DOOM', but they made me dizzy and almost vomit every time I played it. So I realized I'm not at all a FPS fan. But since TR had the camera showing the character in front of you or the third-person view, I loved that concept. TR didn't obviously make me dizzy and the game kept me playing. So, yeah, that's my backstory. :D

Crrash
13th Apr 2006, 11:12
like graphic_designer i heard of it first 1996 when i was *cough* 8 *cough*.
we were buying a new pc one with windows and a good graphic card, me and my 13 year old brother were allowed to both choose a game for ourselves and my mom would buy it. My brother chose a formula 1 game which didnt work on our pc, because it needed a 3d accelerator i think, my brother told my mom that all his friends were playing Tomb Raider and it was really cool and let me get it.
Well i got it looked at the age restriction, laughed an evil laugh, and installed the game. I never let anyone get near the computer since then

-Dizzy-
13th Apr 2006, 21:48
I don't know whether I heard of the game first or Lara.

I remember getting it on the Saturn in 1996....I don't think I asked for it, I think my parents got me it because it got great reviews. I think I remember a load of hype about Lara at that time though, especially about her "two most famous features".

I just don't remember exactly when I first heard of it. I did like the game though. I almost exactly remembered some of the levels.

After that I got TR2 near the end of the PlayStations's life.....might have been Summer 2000. I hated it.

After that I had no experience with TR until October 2004. I bought the first game just to try it. I liked it more than I ever did when I was younger. I bought the whole series because of that game, but I haven't really played the rest yet :o

Silver_Rain
24th Apr 2006, 11:39
I first heard about it in early 1998, when I saw this burgundy coloured box showing off a brunette holding a pair of pistols and the title Tomb Raider II-The Dagger of Xian:p I thought it looked interesting and so I convinced my dad to get it for my birthday. Needless to say he did and I tried it out right away. I remember getting seriously stuck in the very beginning of The Great Wall and the first tiger scared the heck out of me:D Not to mention that getting through those trap gauntlets seemed unthinkable:o

I didn't really catch a lot of interest in it though....played up until 40 Fathoms and got so stuck and eventually so bored with it that I didn't even try playing it again until years later. By that time I had already tried TR1, 3 and TRC, but still without any considerable interest. Good fun, but nothing more.

Then came AOD in 2003 and I actually found myself buying it the moment it was released. I have no idea why, old habit maybe. I played a bit, got stuck and discovered my first online forum and from there on I was completely hooked for life:) Now I have all seven games both for the PC and PS2(although I've only completed TRC-TR3-AOD and Legend so far, in that order), both movies, two books, strategy guides for all seven games, shotglasses with motives from the first movie, miniature Legend statues, movie sunglasses.....you name it:o I've also played lots of custom levels, written walkthroughs and reviews galore and I know for certain I will not be putting this addictive habit away for a while:D