PDA

View Full Version : difficulty

sherman
5th Dec 2005, 23:06
I was wondering if anyone has any idea of the difficulty level for Legend. TR II was the first one I played, then all the rest in chronological order. I am wondering if they have boosted the difficulty level of the game for seasoned players. AOD was a beautiful game, great features and story.But the only hard part about it was dealing with the new-style controls. Thank God she couild still do the handstand, though. The game itself was way too easy. Probably the easiest of the TR's, excluding motion. I finished it in very little time. Sad that I had to wait so long, but at least I got a free bobble-head. Also, are they going to go back to the follow Lara view that we are all used to?

TRfan
5th Dec 2005, 23:38
from what Ive read, they were gonna have different difficulty level setting.

yesrushdt
6th Dec 2005, 00:37
Yep, 3 different difficulty levels according to what Riley Cooper said back at E3. I'll definitely be playing the hardest difficulty level. :cool:

susan
6th Dec 2005, 02:33
Yep, 3 different difficulty levels according to what Riley Cooper said back at E3. I'll definitely be playing the hardest difficulty level. :cool:Fantastic. I want to have the chance of getting stuck once in a while. :thumbsup:

Hopefully this will mean being able to turn off:
Lara saying hints aloud
Turning her head towards useful items and areas
Any other unnecessary hints, eg, earpiece comms possibly.

gingerspice+tombobsessed
6th Dec 2005, 14:48
Hey I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS NEW TOMB RIADER GAME!!!!!!!! I'll probably play on the medium level difficulty.

StarChampagne
6th Dec 2005, 18:03
Yeah... hopefully this tomb raider game will still have some level of difficulty:
1) She turns her head to look at items
2) She has hints that kick in after a few minutes of standing
3) She has a tech team back at Croft manor giving help
4) She has intelligence and is much better at grabbing ledges whatever angle you jump at
5) I read somewhere she had a scanner for finding items...

Hmm... just give us a long, hard game please :D

Mangar The Dark
7th Dec 2005, 13:45
Most of the TR games have gotten the difficulty level right. The thing I hate in any game is when it is too challenging and I'm stuck too long at any point. The best games are those in which you see something new everytime you play, not the ones where you keep having to replay a particular part because it's too diificult.
I'll probably try the game on Medium first. If that gets too annoying, I'll switch to Easy. The best would be if we could change the difficulty level as we play. For example, set it to Hard, but if there's a particular part that's entirely too hard, it would be cool if we could switch it to Easy to get past that point. It would suck to have to replay the whole game on an easier level just because of one annoying part.

robson001
7th Dec 2005, 16:27
Most of the TR games have gotten the difficulty level right. The thing I hate in any game is when it is too challenging and I'm stuck too long at any point. The best games are those in which you see something new everytime you play, not the ones where you keep having to replay a particular part because it's too diificult. Completely agree about TR dificulty, except for TR3 which is too hard and annoying. The perfect dif level is that which makes you stuck but just for a while, then you make it over and get that rewardiing feeling (TR4).

About the level difficulty differences... will it be just about damage inflicted, quantity of ammo/medipacks avaiable, or will it influence in level design itself?

WraithStar
7th Dec 2005, 16:49
It would probably be too time-consuming to redesign every level three times. Probably the difficulty level has to do with the number or strength of enemies, and perhaps with the frequency that Lara gives hints about puzzles to the player.

Mangar The Dark
7th Dec 2005, 17:57
Completely agree about TR dificulty, except for TR3 which is too hard and annoying. The perfect dif level is that which makes you stuck but just for a while, then you make it over and get that rewardiing feeling (TR4).

Definitely agree about TR3-- that got annoying. TR2 was bad too. In TR2, it took a LOT more shots to kill enemies, and a lot fewer to kill Lara. Plus, there were simply too many enemies. I hated when I'd be exploring somewhere, and every few seconds I'd hear a dramatic fanfare and five gun wielding baddies and two dobermans would come running after me--- just let me explore!!! But TR3 had those instant-death traps which really pissed me off. It seemed as if you HAD to die at certain parts in TR simply to know a trap even existed.
TR 1, 4, 5 and 6 all had pretty good difficulty levels, with 1 and 4 being the best.

WraithStar
7th Dec 2005, 18:08
Really? I had the most trouble with TR4. Maybe if I replay it before Legend comes out, I'll have an easier time of it. I've replayed TR1, 2, 3 and 5 recently and I didn't think any of them were overly difficult. The enemies in TR2 were too strong to the point of being laughable, and it made the game a little drawn out and tedious to have to keep stopping to kill enemies, and TR3 was a bit annoying in places. I was playing the PC version and I was able to save often so dying didn't bother me that much. They've already said Legend will have a checkpoint based save system, though, so I'll agree with the above posts and say that it shouldn't be like TR3 where traps completely blindside the player and we don't have any reasonable means of detecting traps before they spring.

susan
7th Dec 2005, 18:30
Yeah... hopefully this tomb raider game will still have some level of difficulty:
1) She turns her head to look at items
2) She has hints that kick in after a few minutes of standing
3) She has a tech team back at Croft manor giving help
4) She has intelligence and is much better at grabbing ledges whatever angle you jump at
5) I read somewhere she had a scanner for finding items...

Hmm... just give us a long, hard game please :DAgreed.

It just sounds so "Conveyor Belt-ish" to me. Step on here...move along, move along...look over here (Lara turns head)...move along...no standing still (Lara says aloud, "I wonder if it'll help me if I put a bomb by that rock ...")...move along...no wondering what to do next (*crackle from earpiece* "Lara, looks like you'll have to use your scanner here ...")...and so on.

I hope I'm wrong or that these "features" can be turned off.

The thing I hate in any game is when it is too challenging and I'm stuck too long at any point. The best games are those in which you see something new everytime you play, not the ones where you keep having to replay a particular part because it's too diificult.I had this problem with Jak 2. I had to stop playing because there's a bit I can't get past no matter how many times I try. It requires precision manual shooting (micro-managing the controls) whilst under intense bombardment. Shoot, die, reload, shoot, die, reload, shoot, die, aaarghhh :rolleyes: I once got so far that I thought I'd finally beaten it ( :eek: ) only to discover it was only the half-way point and the start of the next onslaught. That killed my will to finish the game.

I loved the difficulty levels in all the TR games though, especially TR3. Perfect balance of quiet puzzling and intense battling. The Opera House and other bits of TR2 are a bit hectic the first time you do them, but so thrilling too.

Mangar The Dark
7th Dec 2005, 20:05
I loved the difficulty levels in all the TR games though, especially TR3. Perfect balance of quiet puzzling and intense battling. The Opera House and other bits of TR2 are a bit hectic the first time you do them, but so thrilling too.

TR3 had the potential to be great, but I just hated being killed without warning. It's a cheap trick used by some game designers. Roberta Williams used to use it in her old adventure games-- you'd be walking along, minding your own business, and suddenly without warning, the chandelier falls on your head and BAM! you die. So you have to reload the game, now knowing that the chandelier will kill you, and you have to figure a way to avoid it. In a sense, then, your character has to be psychic because there's no way he/she can know that death is lurking just around the corner unless he/she has already been there and been killed by it. I much prefer to see a trap in advance and have to figure a way around it. I don't think you should be required to die in a game.

EddyBones
7th Dec 2005, 20:43
Difficulty setting similar to Metal Gear Solid would make me happy.

susan
7th Dec 2005, 20:59
I much prefer to see a trap in advance and have to figure a way around it. I don't think you should be required to die in a game.Yeah it's not much fun if the only way to avoid a trap is to try it and be killed and then know not to do that next time. For some reason I didn't notice this being a huge problem in TR3, although, getting squashed by all those tube trains was a bit much... hehehe :D

Trinity34
8th Dec 2005, 01:30
Hmm... just give us a long, hard game please :D

Yes I would like mine long and hard too.... :D

EvilNessCroft
8th Dec 2005, 02:26
Yeah! a long and hard game! ^^ With long and great FMVs/cutsceens !! With a cool and good story to!!.. :D :D

star girl
8th Dec 2005, 11:17
Yeah! a long and hard game! ^^ With long and great FMVs/cutsceens !! With a cool and good story to!!.. :D :D

I totally agree with you. :)

Mangar The Dark
8th Dec 2005, 13:59
Yes I would like mine long and hard too.... :D

Ah, the not-so-subtle innuendos never stop.... ;)

Trinity34
9th Dec 2005, 00:24
Ah, the not-so-subtle innuendos never stop.... ;)

I could not help myself.... :o ;)

TRfan
9th Dec 2005, 04:55
though the whole "press X... now TRIANGLE... CIRCLE" is kinda nice, I miss just having to figure it out myself. I mean... thats always been a challenge in the TR series... making sure you step off of stones and whatnot before the crack and give.