PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of Kain Analysis according to Gnosticism

Dogfight
16th Nov 2005, 17:24
Kain seeks to have freedom to do as he pleases; Raziel also wants to be liberated from the manipulation of various groups. Told by way of Gnostic symbolism the main theme of the Legacy of Kain series is that of "freedom" ending in the possibility of the unification of the family in contrast to the social context of the destruction of the family and the enslavement of the individual done by organizations created by the belief in the patriarchal god.

Each of these groups has a counterpart in reality. The Circle of Nine can be compared with the role of government, who tries to preserve order but because of inherent corruption instead creates chaos. The Sarafan Order can be equated with Christianity; their Vampire Purge is a lot like the Crusades and the Witch Burnings of the Roman Catholic Church. The Latin word religion itself means to: “To tie or bind again.” Much like the Sarafan most followers of a religion blindly follow some leader or a holy book never questioning that what they may believe in might be all a lie. They are imprisoned by the institution of religion, believing in its deceit, unable to realize their full destiny, and made deaf to the truth of the Elder God’s manipulations. Kain's Empire and his Lieutenants are very similar to the Roman Empire, Julius Ceaser sought to create a utopian society but consequently Brutus, Julius' greatest ally and like a son to Ceaser felt betrayed by him, following the counsel of another he ultimately stabbed Julius. Much like Kain’s Empire, the Roman Empire fell due to corruption and the uprising of once nearly conquered native tribes from the north. This is like when Dumah’s clan was destroyed by the humans.

The Elder God represents the patriarchal god (The male god of various religions, including the main ones.) while many now say that this god is benign, history and ancient texts tell us an entirely different story. The patriarchal god is known for advocating slavery, condoning polygamy, destroying cities and telling his followers that it is okay to kill those who not believe in him. Some Gnostics consider this god to be evil and refer to it as the Demiurge. The Demiurge is the source of ruling institutions such as religions, governments, and empires. This being has manipulated everyone creating hatred through his great lies and thus turning brother against brother, son against mother, and father against son, thus destroying the family unit.

Ariel parallels Sophia and in so doing symbolizes the true god of humanity; the matriarchal god has been mutilated by the patriarchal false god and abandoned by humanity. Elaborating further Ariel signifies more than just the Balance Guardian, just like Sophia is part of the Pleroma, the group of Aeons that guide humanity towards gnosis (enlightenment). Ariel is one of many Balance Guardians and together they represent the true council of gods that guides all by giving out wisdom. Only man that has abandoned their female god may heal the pain they have caused to her and all women everywhere by their betrayal in following the false god.

Raziel represents the sacrificial man, the man that has done everything right according to the rules of the society, but in so doing he has betrayed his own humanity and consequently is still tortured and destroyed by society to be reborn into something that is no longer human, to regain his lost humanity he must seek wisdom and the source of it is Ariel. When Raziel activates the Spirit Reaver forge, he has performed a ritual in servitude to the female god and in opposition to the false male god, thus Ariel is healed and imparts the wisdom of all the Balance Guardians to Raziel, healing the reaver of all corruption. Raziel gains wisdom from the murals realizing then what he must do. He then sacrifices himself by letting himself get absorbed by the reaver, and in so doing is freed and regains his lost vampirism (humanity) by becoming the vampiric wraith blade.

Kain represents a gnostic follower; he is a seeker who has gone through much tribulation in search of gnosis "revealed knowledge" (A way to achieve his true destiny.). When Raziel heals Kain of all corruption, Kain achieves gnosis and is no longer tied down, no longer blinded by the lies of society; he finally sees the truth which is at the heart of all organizations which seek to destroy the family, the patriarchal god is the destroyer of humanity. This is the key to Kain's freedom.

This truth which he and everyone else has been blinded to is the ultimate weapon of humanity, the one thing that can destroy the false god. In the end the freedom achieved by Raziel and Kain repairs the rift between them, once more melding the separation of family caused by society's belief in the false god and thus there is “hope” of the rebirth of the family without further interference from the servants of the Demiurge.

InsaneScorpion331
16th Nov 2005, 22:22
Wow, that was very cool indeed *waits for people to go againts it*.

rabban
17th Nov 2005, 00:16
I want the online resources in the MLA format more then anything...and if anything...spacing inbetween the paragraphs. :D...seriouslly though i want the resources though.

when dogfight makes an appearence here the logic is sound.

Smoke_Z
17th Nov 2005, 04:00
I managed to get through it, and sofar I only have one question....

According to these Gnostic theories, what's going to happen next?

(Though really I imagine that it's not going to line up with the next game simply because they're going to underestimate the intellegence of the lower common denominator.)

Dogfight
17th Nov 2005, 17:53
I want the online resources in the MLA format more then anything...and if anything...spacing inbetween the paragraphs. ...seriouslly though i want the resources though.

when dogfight makes an appearence here the logic is sound.

I'll give the links to the sites that inspired me to anyone who wants them, but I won't post them here since I do not know what their policies on direct linking are. Thanks, I try to post sound reason.

I managed to get through it, and sofar I only have one question....

According to these Gnostic theories, what's going to happen next?

(Though really I imagine that it's not going to line up with the next game simply because they're going to underestimate the intellegence of the lower common denominator.)

I don't want to presume what is going to happen next. Although a while back I did create a short story and posted it on these forums. If they do not make another game I hope they give us, the fans, what we've most been looking forward to, the big final battle between Kain and the Elder God.

Here is the link to the short story I created.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=31079

soothsayer
20th Nov 2005, 05:37
Pretty interesting, though there are some problems with it.

The Elder God apears to be an anti-Demiurge.
He hates Kain, whose ruled the land with cruel autocracy.
He hates the Hylden, who's empire was little different than Kain's.

He also hated the ancients, he just used they zealousness to destroy the hylden.
As soon as the ancients had lost everything to destroy the hylden, he abandoned them until they faded away.

He's pro humanity, with little interest in empires and religeons.
He wants the family unit to thrive, more souls that way.

Also, the phrase "family unit" creeps me out.

Dogfight
21st Nov 2005, 20:50
He was the Oracle to the Ancients and instructed their civilization. It is not known if he created their civilization but we do know that he did contribute to it leading eventually to its destruction. He was worshipped by them dutifully as a god and once they were cursed with immortality by the Hylden the Elder wanted to make them extinct. Besides this the Elder instructed Moebius, creating the Sarafan religion which then became an empire. The Elder isn't pro-human; he is just using humans as his latest pawns, which he abandons during Defiance, his true servants are the Shades and the Archons. On the contrary about wanting the family unit to thrive; the Elder just wants to control all souls, he wants there to be life, but he doesn't want life to go out of control, he instructed Moebius in the creation of the Sarafan to fight a war to decimate the Vampires, which then resulted in the deaths of the Sarafan themselves at the hands of Raziel and Kain as planned by the Elder. Lets not forget either that he started the conflict between the Ancients and the Hylden which led to the corruption of the Pillars, the Hylden nearly wiping out all of humanity in Blood Omen 2 and the creation of Kain’s empire due to his being tainted by the Circle’s decay. Everything that happened in the entire series was mainly the fault of the Elder, who manipulated everyone to suit his own ends. When it comes to Kain’s empire, it is not yet known if the Elder wanted Kain to create it, knowing that the corruption of the Lieutenants would eventually seal its doom and that he would then use Raziel as a pawn to destroy the Vampires which would end in the Elder feeding on more souls and growing bigger or if it was all just an indirect consequence of his plans. Further, Raziel does state in Soul Reaver 2 that as Nosgoth descends into madness and decay the Elder grows larger.

soothsayer
22nd Nov 2005, 05:08
The only empire EG built were the wheel worshiping ancients and the Sarafan, both were self destructive in nature, and soon fell apart after they were no longer needed. All other empires were not created by EG, and he created his short lived empires only to destroy these.

Immortal beings are against the family unit, for they cannot produce new life, only take it to sustain their own. This is what EG is trying to destroy.

EG is not all powerful, so he has taken great pains to rewrite history so to remove that which threatens the family unit. But he has made mistakes in doing so, especially now that Kain has the means to harm him.

EG does not gain strength from Nosgoth descending into madness and decay, he simply grows because he is more or less alive, I'm not sure when he'll reach the peak of his growth though.