PDA

View Full Version : Would be nice to see all the previous level addons again..

dhama
15th Nov 2005, 21:46
I'd like to see Eidos release.. as freebies of course, all the previous [EDIT: Official] level addons for the original TR series (all self contained)..... That would make a fine bonus disk for Legend. ;)

What say you?

Mangar The Dark
15th Nov 2005, 21:54
Eh, I guess it would be an okay bonus. Really though, I think their time has come and gone.

suzieq51
16th Nov 2005, 01:36
:thumbsup: Great idea, dhama! Now, who's palm do we have to grease to make this happen? :D

dhama
16th Nov 2005, 08:50
Really though, I think their time has come and gone.

Nip over to http://www.trle.net and see how much that isn't true. ;)

Nerevar
16th Nov 2005, 09:06
Nip over to http://www.trle.net and see how much that isn't true. ;)Which particular thread would you have in mind? Or does the notion 'level addons' not refer to the official expansions but the user-created levels or something entirely third? Not certain I entirely comprehend your suggestion.

dhama
16th Nov 2005, 10:45
Which particular thread would you have in mind? Or does the notion 'level addons' not refer to the official expansions but the user-created levels or something entirely third? Not certain I entirely comprehend your suggestion.

Officiall expansions is what I had in mind for the topic of this thread. As for the link I gave, that is where a community of custom level builders/players are. ;)

Nerevar
16th Nov 2005, 12:37
Official expansions is what I had in mind for the topic of this thread. As for the link I gave, that is where a community of custom level builders/players are. ;)Thank you for the edification. 'Twas your comment to Mangar The Dark that led me astray since the level designers' interest in designed levels could hardly be representative of the general interest in official level addons, given that those are two very different and questionably related matters, and owing to that fact I expected, since you linked off this board and not to http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37 which otherwise would have served the same purpose, to find a thread dealing with that very topic. But as initially stated: Now that has been sorted out.

However, although it is a nice suggestion, notwithstanding the idea of releasing it for free, I think a more proper way to celebrate Lara's recently awarded star and the release of Tomb Raider: Legend would be to follow the suggestion presented here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=18492) (updated to include Angel of Darkness) and make the old games easily available for posterity to enjoy. I somewhat fail to see the rationale behind limiting the suggested bonus disc to the official addons - the majority of which are presently available for download.

dhama
16th Nov 2005, 15:45
Thank you for the edification. 'Twas your comment to Mangar The Dark that led me astray since the level designers' interest in designed levels could hardly be representative of the general interest in official level addons, given that those are two very different and questionably related matters, and owing to that fact I expected, since you linked off this board and not to http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37 which otherwise would have served the same purpose, to find a thread dealing with that very topic. But as initially stated: Now that has been sorted out.

However, although it is a nice suggestion, notwithstanding the idea of releasing it for free, I think a more proper way to celebrate Lara's recently awarded star and the release of Tomb Raider: Legend would be to follow the suggestion presented here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=18492) (updated to include Angel of Darkness) and make the old games easily available for posterity to enjoy. I somewhat fail to see the rationale behind limiting the suggested bonus disc to the official addons - the majority of which are presently available for download.

Please Nerevar, it would be nice if you could lay out your replies to me in simple terms, I fail to see the "rationale" in making one read through your post, maybe several times, just to find the content could have been said in a few words. I am not as learned as you, so please comply. ;)

Nerevar
16th Nov 2005, 16:36
Please Nerevar, it would be nice if you could lay out your replies to me in simple terms, I fail to see the "rationale" in making one read through your post, maybe several times, just to find the content could have been said in a few words. I am not as learned as you, so please comply. ;)I shall strive for that. However, considering I am not presently capable of seeing how what I stated could be expressed in fewer words, in shorter yet more sentences perhaps, I would appreciate if you would be so kind as to rephrase what I previously wrote since you gave voice to its possibility. That would be much appreciated and hopefully enable me to comply with your request :).

WraithStar
16th Nov 2005, 16:45
Thank you for the edification. 'Twas your comment to Mangar The Dark that led me astray since the level designers' interest in designed levels could hardly be representative of the general interest in official level addons, given that those are two very different and questionably related matters, and owing to that fact I expected, since you linked off this board and not to http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37 which otherwise would have served the same purpose, to find a thread dealing with that very topic. But as initially stated: Now that has been sorted out.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was confused by your response to Mangar the Dark. Interest in designed levels is not necessarily the same as interest in the official level add-ons. I thought that since you linked to another forum, I would find a topic dealing specifically with popular interest in the official add-ons. Why didn't you just link to this thread http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37 ?

This bonus disc idea is a good suggestion. However, I think it would be a better idea to sell a collection with all of the previous TR games, not just the add-ons. That way everybody can enjoy the entire series without having to waste time and energy hunting down the other games.

There, I think that sums it up :)

Nerevar
16th Nov 2005, 19:40
There, I think that sums it up :)Interesting. I wonder if that is also how you would have written it dhama?

GeorgeMaciver
16th Nov 2005, 19:54
Nerevar, I found your reply eloqent and informative and courteous. I thought Dhama's reply rather rude and certainly off topic.

As to a bonus DC, has anyone perhaps thought of putting together a 'best of fan custom levels' CD? It would take a bit of work, granted, but not that much. Test a few submissions, make a few comments, send them back to the level builders for fixing up and tweaking . . . :)

susan
16th Nov 2005, 20:45
Another brilliant idea dhama. :thumbsup: :cool: On Sands of Time there's a bonus old POP game so why not the same here. For me it'd beat unlocking extra Lara outfits. And surely it can't be that hard, please Crystal. :D

The ultimate DVD collection is an excellent idea too although I wonder if there is a market for selling it separately. Unless maybe they updated all graphics. I'd certainly take it as a bonus disc with Legend though if Eidos decided to be that generous ...

It'd be nice if they could put together a compilation of the best custom levels - especially for the PS2. But I imagine there are complex intellectual property legal issues that mean this will never happen.

dhama
16th Nov 2005, 21:08
Nerevar, I found your reply eloqent and informative and courteous. I thought Dhama's reply rather rude and certainly off topic.

Whatever.. :rolleyes:

dhama
16th Nov 2005, 21:09
Interesting. I wonder if that is also how you would have written it dhama?

Not quite... I would have written it thus.....

:thumbsup: Great idea! ;)

Mangar The Dark
16th Nov 2005, 21:18
I'm still not convinced most people really care about playing such old levels. I imagine most of us already played a lot of the add on levels, and there's not much point in playing them again unless you're REALLY bored. And the rest of the world (i.e. not the fanatics) probably wouldn't get too excited about being able to play levels that look so outdated. Isn't the outdated look of it all partly what made TR become less popular in the first place?

Of course, I wouldn't complain if they DID include the add on levels (and I'd probably even play around with them for a little bit on a rainy day), but I don't see how it could be worth Eidos' time to convert all of it to the Xbox format. (on the PS2 it would be doable since they already existed in that format, of course.)

Nerevar
16th Nov 2005, 21:42
Not quite... I would have written it thus.....

:thumbsup: Great idea! ;)Since it was you who brought the matter up, then why not continue in the same objective and serious fashion as you usually post in :). You made a serious request, I responded to it, and am, after WraithStar's post, awaiting your reply.

I like that idea GeorgeMaciver, though I suspect it'd be difficult to pick betwixt the many excellent custom made levels.

Sophia Leigh
16th Nov 2005, 23:02
I'm still not convinced most people really care about playing such old levels.
Not true, maybe we should take a poll :D
Seriously though, its only recently that I have played Unfinished Business and Golden Mask and I have only just bought and started to play the Lost Artifact, and I'm always seeing people bid on the old games on Ebay.

Mangar The Dark
17th Nov 2005, 00:44
Not true, maybe we should take a poll :D
Seriously though, its only recently that I have played Unfinished Business and Golden Mask and I have only just bought and started to play the Lost Artifact, and I'm always seeing people bid on the old games on Ebay.

Yes, and you're also posting on TR fan forum. I was saying the general public (not rabid fans like us) probably wouldn't care enough to make it worth Eidos' time.

Edit-- just realized that may have sounded snobbier than it was intended! Really, my point is just that I can't see it being financially beneficial to Eidos to release the add-on levels. Yes, we might all have some fun with it, but a lot of people who have any interest in the levels probably played them already. The other people won't care much.

Sophia Leigh
17th Nov 2005, 02:21
Edit-- just realized that may have sounded snobbier than it was intended!
Yes, actually I was just joking about the poll, otherwise I would have posted one myself :D

Really, my point is just that I can't see it being financially beneficial to Eidos to release the add-on levels. Yes, we might all have some fun with it, but a lot of people who have any interest in the levels probably played them already. The other people won't care much.

I understand your point here but maybe it could be a nice added marketing gimmick and I'm sure it'd cost Eidos barely anything to make. Only PC players can play the gold levels (I assume dhama means the gold levels) and there are so many console players out there who are disappointed that they can't play them. It would be great if Unfinished Business, Golden Mask and Lost Artifact were put onto a bonus disc to accompany Legend for the consoles. However I don't think it would be a good financial idea for them to be sold separately.

I really think that people still care about the older levels though (opinion based on occasional visits to Ebay, and other people's comments and actions - e.g my nephew currently playing TR3). There are heaps of people that started playing Tomb Raider by playing one of the later games, enjoyed it so much they went back and searched for the earlier games.

Mangar The Dark
17th Nov 2005, 13:50
Yes, actually I was just joking about the poll, otherwise I would have posted one myself :D

I didn't mean YOU sounded snobby, I meant I sounded snobby! (ah, the confusion....)

Sophia Leigh
18th Nov 2005, 10:29
I didn't mean YOU sounded snobby, I meant I sounded snobby! (ah, the confusion....)
LOL! :D :D

pxfbird
21st Nov 2005, 06:48
Personally, I'd like to see the old games put on a dvd as a special Collector's Edition (with the extra levels... i.e. Gold). :D Whether it was a Bonus with Legend or not, I think there'd be a lot of interest in it besides just "rabid fans". I do not consider myself to be such and I have not had the pleasure of playing all the TR games... yet. Would make it a lot easier to find them together and I know that I am not alone. ;)

If Eidos did decide to make a collection like that and sell it, then I think a cheap price like... $20-$30 would be fair. (Considering the disapppointment with AoD. :mad: I honestly think that they didn't try too hard with that one. It was delayed for so long and for what?! 5/10 imho)