PDA

View Full Version : The World Of Nosgoth.

Thingfish
6th Nov 2005, 17:20
Just a couple of questions on your notions of the world that Kain et al inhabit.

Is it your feeling that the world of Nosgoth is an entire planet or merely a continent or area of a planet?

Is the Hylden City considered to be in Nosgoth or, since it is over the seas, it is considered part of another continent?

Crystal Dynamics have stated that the Pillars go on infinitely up into the sky and down into the ground. Were Nosgoth (or the planet it is on) a globe as it can be assumed to be, should we therefore also assume that the Pillars go all the way through the planet and out the other side?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Smoke_Z
6th Nov 2005, 21:52
I think that I decided that the planet is a half-sphere, except that the people living there don't realize what shape it is. Weird physics around the edge means that you can't find the edge or fall off.

The pillars are infinate, but I can't embrace the concept in my head. I think the part that would stick out from the opposite end of the planet is, like the edge of the world, impossible to find because of strange physics.

rabban
6th Nov 2005, 22:03
i've heard this one before a lot...i figure nosgoth was once simply a continent with several small towns equal to countries and the circle of nine is like the U.N. then with all the vampire and sarafan war of bo2 and the sarafan winning turned nosgoth into a country.

but one idea i used to like is that the hylden wars partly destroyed the planet and the pillars maintain that small remaining piece...kinda like dark city lol.

TheWatcher
6th Nov 2005, 22:04
In response to your question concerning Nosgoth's geography (and the pillars), this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=54021) or this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=37698&highlight=pillars) may be of some interest.

As far as the Hylden city, I would think it's considered Nosgoth as well. There are a number of bodies of water in the land but all that surrounds them is Nosgoth. I'm not sure what body of water it is Kain is supposed to be crossing on his way to the Hylden city though.

soothsayer
7th Nov 2005, 05:44
I don't like the idea of there being more than one continent, other wise it would be kind of weird that the rules of physics are governed by some crazy sorcerers on the other side of the planet. I do however think that Nosgoth is much bigger than what we saw in BO.

The hylden city can't be to far from the mainland if you can get there in a few hours by non motorized means across the southern sea.

I don't believe the pillars are infinite, but they are vary big, just short of scratching the surface of the moon.

Thingfish
7th Nov 2005, 12:33
Thanks for the threads.

It seems certain that CD didn't really consider the rest of the world of Nosgoth and don't want to pin it down to being a global world.

Oh well, I'm pretty certain it is, and therefore that the Pillars come out the other side. There's probably another tyrant on that side wondering why his Pillars broke for no good reason :D

sarafan_lord
9th Nov 2005, 23:11
The pillars have to be finite, otherwise how could the ancient vampires create something that is partially a belief, something that they cannot fully concieve.

Nosgoth has to be a continent if the Hylden City can only be reached by sea or flight (Ancient Vampires).

Arorn
17th Jan 2006, 11:17
Oh well, I'm pretty certain it is, and therefore that the Pillars come out the other side. There's probably another tyrant on that side wondering why his Pillars broke for no good reason :D

LOL i can just imagine that!

"my good throne was at the base of that pillar and now it and the pillar and those other pillars went boom.... why?"

as for the hylden city... maridian seems to be in the sw section of the blood omen map to me, so maybe there is a lake we arn't seeing there too?

goblin981
18th Jan 2006, 02:52
I figure it's like Dark City. Just a flat piece of land in space and the pillars go on forever in both ways, space goes on forever, why can't the pillars? (there's a planet out there that got knocked off orbit when it hit the pillars and everyone died, nice one ancients)

It's interesting that the defiance intro showed a moon or planet in the sky. So there are sphered planets out there.