PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Tribute Music

douglasedward
28th Oct 2005, 22:03
I'm not a huge gamer, because if I did play games more, I wouldn't ever EAT (much less anything else). haha. But the one game I play over and over is, well you know if you are reading this message on a TR forum.

Here is a tribute piece I did, using the game's original melody.
Tomb Raider Tribute Music (http://www.douglasedward.com/audio/uploaded/TombRaiderTribute/Tomb_Raider_Tribute.mp3)

Of course I stuck strictly to the melody from the game, didn't even write a secondary melody. Pretty hardcore tribute I guess.

Are there any other people with some Tribute Music for TR?

imported_Mark_
28th Oct 2005, 23:59
This is awesome piece of music!! Congratulations, and thank you very much for it! :thumbsup:

suzieq51
29th Oct 2005, 04:30
Beautiful! Thank you. :)

Mangar The Dark
29th Oct 2005, 04:48
I like it!

I've written instrumental music as a hobby for the past 10 years or so, and I've done a few variations on the TR theme, too (it's a good, simple melody that makes it fun to really play around with the arrangement.)

What equipment do you use? I use a Roland JV-1010 with the Orchestral Expansion, which is hardly the most up-to-date equipment, but I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. I like the more exotic tones in yours. Aside from a few patches, I really don't have access to those kinds of sounds (I thought about getting the World Expansion Board for them, but then decided Orchestral would ultimately be more useful. Shame about the JV-1010 only allowing room for one expansion!)

Anyway, good work!

THE True Lara
29th Oct 2005, 08:27
Very nice! thanks for sharing.

douglasedward
29th Oct 2005, 10:36
thanks for the feedback guys! I appreciate it.

Actually I totally goofed and posted the wrong mp3. That was an earlier version. :mad: Now I have the new one for you guys, not much difference except that the middle section is very dramatic, huge climax, and oboe now only makes one appearance (I love that sound because it reminds me of all the themes in the TR games that used that oboe).
STREAM New Tomb Raider Tribute (http://www.douglasedward.com/audio/uploaded/TombRaiderTribute/Tomb_Raider_Tribute.m3u)
DOWNLOAD New Tomb Raider Tribute (http://www.douglasedward.com/audio/uploaded/TombRaiderTribute/Tomb_Raider_Tribute_New.mp3)

Ok NOW the two files I posted on this thread are the same thing so you can download either.

Mangar- Thanks for the feedback - I midi control samples basically, all of my samples are ones I created on my own. The male choir is me, the female choir my g/f, violins, violas, all strings is me (I'm a violin/violist), and I spent days recording timpani's, bass drums, gongs, cymbals, snares, brass, and woodwinds. I'm a film composer so this all comes in handy for me, which when I do those I will create something like this, then go back and record real instruments on top or in place of the samples. Can't beat the real thing.

BTW - the beginning vocals and classical guitar are the real thing, those aren't samples.

Yea gear is fun, but nothing beats two excellent microphones, a pre-amp, and some talented musicians.

- Douglas

imported_Mark_
29th Oct 2005, 19:37
This version sounds a bit better. Although I don't like the starting so much, the middle and the end of the song is absolutely fantastic. :thumbsup:

Treeble
29th Oct 2005, 19:44
I love it!! Great work Douglas. :thumbsup:

imported_Mark_
29th Oct 2005, 19:59
I was just playing it again and again and I though that perhaps some effects, like a howling of a wolf could sound quite good at minute 1:52. :o

suzieq51
29th Oct 2005, 23:02
Verrrry nice douglasedward - think I prefer the latter version. Thanks for the recording info - I was wondering who supplied the vocals?

yesrushdt
30th Oct 2005, 01:02
Aboslutely love the accoustic guitar at the beginning and end. Really adds alot to the overall mood of your rendition. Would love to hear some more of your work.

douglasedward
30th Oct 2005, 02:23
aww thanks guys!

you will all kill me now, I just added REAL STRINGS to the tribute, and beefed up the percussion in the middle.

TRfans - as far as the howling wolf idea, I think that is great!! And the beginning... lol I laugh because on this new version, I changed the intro just a little bit, and that 1:52 area (except it isn't 1:52 anymore because the intro is a little longer). The middle has a very rhythmic high string entrance (at the howl? hehe) and it carries through. It's funny because I actually made those changes, and then came on here and saw that you wrote that!

suzie- The vocals in the piece are me. I'm singing up until the percussion comes in, then it is a choir sample made up of just me.

yesru- I love guitar but I hardly use it for classical/film pieces (I write a lot of songs on it), well now I got me a classical guitar and this is only its second appearance. The first time was a New Orleans Tribute to Hurricane Katrina.

The guitar.. it makes me feel very lonely when it comes in, something I would think somebody like Lara would feel, don't you guys agree?

Ok ok ok I promise that is the last version...

STREAM (http://www.douglasedward.com/audio/uploaded/TombRaiderTribute/Tomb_Raider_Tribute.m3u)

DOWNLOAD (http://www.douglasedward.com/audio/uploaded/TombRaiderTribute/Tomb_Raider_Tribute.mp3)

Hey thanks again guys, I'm on the web! hurray!

Website (good times you know it) (http://www.DouglasEdward.com)

MySpace (times are good you know it) (http://www.myspace.com/douglasedwardmusic)

imported_Mark_
30th Oct 2005, 15:36
TRfans - as far as the howling wolf idea, I think that is great!! And the beginning... lol I laugh because on this new version, I changed the intro just a little bit, and that 1:52 area (except it isn't 1:52 anymore because the intro is a little longer). The middle has a very rhythmic high string entrance (at the howl? hehe) and it carries through. It's funny because I actually made those changes, and then came on here and saw that you wrote that!
What a coincidence! :D

I've sent my idea of the wolf howling to you via PM. Let me know what you think.

This [final] version is very good. You get better and better with it! :thumbsup:

Wisby
30th Oct 2005, 18:21
Downloading...
quite interested in it...
U're so :thumbsup:

Sophia Leigh
30th Oct 2005, 23:45
Very nice :thumbsup:

Mangar The Dark
31st Oct 2005, 18:21
Mangar- Thanks for the feedback - I midi control samples basically, all of my samples are ones I created on my own. The male choir is me, the female choir my g/f, violins, violas, all strings is me (I'm a violin/violist), and I spent days recording timpani's, bass drums, gongs, cymbals, snares, brass, and woodwinds. I'm a film composer so this all comes in handy for me, which when I do those I will create something like this, then go back and record real instruments on top or in place of the samples. Can't beat the real thing.

Yea gear is fun, but nothing beats two excellent microphones, a pre-amp, and some talented musicians.

- Douglas

Just goes to show how realistic synth mods are getting these days! I really thought you were simply using patches on a slightly higher-end module than the one I have.

I agree that nothing beats the real thing. I usually use my synth mod for things like pianos, harpsichords, etc (basically, things that work well when played on a keyboard.) Woodwind parts work pretty well for the most part too. But when I need an electric guitar, I'll write it on the keyboard (since that's what I know how to play), and then let an actual guitarist play it on a real guitar.

But, as great as "the real thing" is, I won't knock my synth module. For what it lacks in realism, it more than makes up for in convenience. The ability to create full sounding compositions with just a half-rack module, a keyboard and computer is great for me. (granted, if I did it as a job, as you do, I'd need more. But for purely a hobby, this works well.) Just finished a new CD this weekend, btw.

douglasedward
8th Nov 2005, 07:27
hey guys, thanks again for all the comments, yes Mangar, and god bless and condemn (at the same time) technology and its effects on film composition. Hopefully the real deal will always be used, but I would be lieing if I said I believed that statement!

jay2
8th Nov 2005, 23:02
Ok ok ok I promise that is the last version...

I hope not...any chance of an extended version? :)

The original theme holds so many memories for me,i have listened to alot of different "remakes" on this and none have come close,but your version is one of...no THE the best i,ve heard so far.
Thanks Doug.

wytebred
16th Nov 2005, 00:18
Good stuff Douglas! I even had Troels, the composer for TRL, listen to it and he enjoyed your work. What films/documentaries have you scored?

LuxAngel
16th Nov 2005, 22:31
This is absolutely beautiful -- and you can take that from another person that has been studying and performing music since I was 5 years old. :D

Loved the ambience of your piece!

douglasedward
18th Nov 2005, 21:59
jay and lux - thank you so much! I am an ambiance fan myself, love the space and breath that music can create and rely on.

wytebred - thank you too, and wow! thanks for letting Troels hear it, and I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. Troels works on the legend site are unbelievable, and very magical. Tell him he has a legend fan already!

About films I've done... I'll copy a statement from my site...

A seedy and bitter electronic score for the scandalous drama,
"For You Are My Friend", by director Karre Huff

Quirky and comedic score of strings and piano for the highly imaginable,
“Pest Control”, by animator Ezra Schwartz

An offbeat and humorous 'muzak' for the short comedy,
“Misconception”, by director Greg Mansur

A deliciously tangled labyrinth of orchestra and electronics for the amazing drama,
"And All Other Things", by director Bruce Guido

Driving broken score of strings and piano for the solemn tragic drama,
"Imperfection", by director Greg Mansur

Colorful charade of strings and guitars for the teenage drama,
"Reilly", by director Greg Mansur

As well as scoring all those films, I wrote a lot of songs for them too, a love song for Reilly, several rock songs for AAOT, etc. Right now I'm working on a film shot in Italy. As I pull out the accordian and tune up my violin, I can't help put remember some of the Venice music from a previous Tomb Raider game, the rushing strings, and the magnificant opera house. Speaking of, for this Italian film, they want an italian opera coming out of a radio for one scene, but they wanted me to write it. So I guess this will be my first Italian opera! lol.

Tell Troels if he needs any assistance to let me know, I'd love to work on some games - but only if he needs help (aka too busy to do it all).

Thanks for the feedback!
take care,
Douglas

jay2
18th Nov 2005, 22:35
Can i also say,and i don't say this lightly.
After viewing all the legend pics and vids and reading all the infomation about the game,this piece of music SHOULD be the title song for legend.
It as all the elements that befits the ambience of the levels we will explore and the inclusion of the original score also points to the idea of returning to laras roots.
I dont come here as often as i used to,but i guess the people upstairs still look in like they used to.
So i hope they take heed and do whats right.

Jay

akamatt
19th Nov 2005, 00:02
Very nice :)

douglasedward
29th Nov 2005, 23:14
Thank you guys, I didn't spend too long on it but it was such a blast to do. I have always loved the Tomb Raider games, I hope they never stop making them!

Dragu Slave
1st Dec 2005, 18:38
Love it. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

susan
1st Dec 2005, 20:47
It's a lovely arrangement douglas, I could listen to something like that all day. :)

This is absolutely beautiful -- and you can take that from another person that has been studying and performing music since I was 5 years old. So, when do we get to hear your take on the TR music LuxAngel?? :D

Cleber
6th Dec 2005, 17:59
;) So... Have you already been hired to work for the TR official music? :D

douglasedward
15th Dec 2005, 19:27
hey thanks guys you are so sweet! I listened to it over and over when I first did it, now I need to go back and hear it again.. :thumbsup: I probably should of extended the middle section a bit, as it passes by rather quickly, but it helps add to the surprise of it leaving all of a sudden.

imported_Mark_
15th Dec 2005, 19:46
Yay! :)

douglasedward
20th Jan 2006, 19:27
ok so I have spent much more time on this one..

added some really pounding drums in the middle section (toms), middle section is longer now too (yay). Also, sad to say, I took out the classic oboe TR sound and replaced it with my voice in the soft section after the drums (sad because the oboe was very lara, but the voice makes it unique plus I don't have the best oboe sounds.
Also added more real violins/violas.

Here is the new one!
Stream (http://www.douglasedward.com/audio/uploaded/TombRaiderTribute/Tomb_Raider_Tribute.m3u)
Download (http://www.DouglasEdward.com/TR.mp3)

GoranAgar
21st Jan 2006, 10:39
Excellent stuff!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

KasiaTrent
21st Jan 2006, 16:06
That is fantastic!!!
douglasedward, I'am dreaming about remix of Pandora's Box from Cradle of Life. You know, something a little bit faster. I will be greatfull if you can do something like that. What do you think?

douglasedward
24th Jan 2006, 02:27
thank you guys!!!

lol kasia you are "dreaming" about a remix? If I had the time I probably would. But unfortunately I have to pay bills and only rarely get to work on stuff that doesn't put something on the table. Actually this TR piece was the last time I had a moment like that. I wish I had more of those moments!

take care,
Douglas

suzieq51
24th Jan 2006, 02:56
Love it! Very classy indeed.

GoranAgar
15th Mar 2006, 11:26
That is really too bad. I am quite sure we all would have loved to hear more of your work. It sucks when real life gets in the way of fun, doesn't it?

kiss-bite
15th Mar 2006, 12:21
Wow, absolutely stunning!!:D Thankyou, I love it so much!:p That would be ideal for Legend's main menu music!!;)

imported_Mark_
15th Mar 2006, 12:26
It sucks when real life gets in the way of fun, doesn't it?
Unfortunately that's so true. :(

sorcerer
15th Mar 2006, 13:50
This is FANTASTIC!
Dude, you`d better keep this for the next Tomb Raider Movie! :cool:

I`m a big fan of TR games and movies and I`m also a big fan of Angelina Jolie.

If you`d like, I'll put this song of yours on my fansite: http://www.Angelina-Jolie.ro (http://www.Angelina-Jolie.ro)

And... Congratulations! :thumbsup: I love all the 3 versions! The song rocks!

:cool:

Tadi
17th Mar 2006, 12:19
I'm not a huge gamer, because if I did play games more, I wouldn't ever EAT (much less anything else). haha. But the one game I play over and over is, well you know if you are reading this message on a TR forum.

Tomb Raider Tribute Music (http://www.douglasedward.com/audio/uploaded/TombRaiderTribute/Tomb_Raider_Tribute.mp3)

Of course I stuck strictly to the melody from the game, didn't even write a secondary melody. Pretty hardcore tribute I guess.

Are there any other people with some Tribute Music for TR?

That is a very beautiful piece of music, I love the way you have stuck to the melody from the game ... you are very talented :)

douglasedward
21st Mar 2006, 19:41
hey guys sorry my comp went down a bit ago but im back.

Go ahead and put it on your fansite I'm cool with that (as long as you credit me).

Thanks for the comments! I make sure that when I write something I record real instruments and vocals as well as using my own samples. The real instruments give it a really powerful and emotional feeling.

If anybody needs to hire a cheap composer who uses real instruments just email (http://www.douglasedward.com/contact.htm) me.

Man.. you guys are so nice thanks!!!!

Shehi
21st Mar 2006, 23:34
Just awesome!!! No need for any words. I have listened to this composition since an hour ago and still listening - really good piece. Well done, and please keep up good work!

douglasedward
23rd Mar 2006, 06:28
ty ty I have been listening to it forever, i keep scratching my head thinking "how does technology allow me to do this???"

Rascalius
23rd Mar 2006, 07:08
Dude, this is seriously awesome! I hate to say this but it's even better than original, easily. Thanks a lot for sharing. :thumbsup:

Silva
24th Mar 2006, 02:12
Hey man, I had a listen streaming it. Nice stuff, unfortuantely i haven't hearc the original, so i dont nkow what you done to it.

Silva
24th Mar 2006, 02:25
Just at your site, and you have an impressive CV!

Number6
24th Mar 2006, 03:00

My Windows media will read it only as a choppy piece of noise where i can still discern greatness.
I even changed it to wav using the level editor "StartMe and MadPlay" programs with no luck.
I have version 10.
Do I need another one?

GoranAgar
24th Mar 2006, 07:39
www.winamp.com

Number6
24th Mar 2006, 14:16
www.winamp.com
..now I cannot even play the others that worked before, even the WAV.

When I play the wav from that mp3, it sounds warbly, as if played underwater.

RuumTaedor
24th Mar 2006, 14:58
www.apple.com :p

douglasedward
25th Mar 2006, 06:39
lol winamp and apple.. I don't know whats wrong with your comp, it plays fine on mine and I haven't had anybody else complain about it... Strange..

Thank you again guys, I'm flippin out and can't wait for the Legend to come out, also to check out the music cause I know its going to be great!