PDA

View Full Version : A second chance

Highlander58
26th Oct 2005, 19:02
Hello fellow IG users

I bought IG about 10 month ago and was very disappointed. The battles were over too quickly but jerky because my computer was not good enough and I did not enjoy the gameplay. After a few days I stopped playing

A few days ago I got my computer updated to 1GB of RAM and a 128mb graphics card. I bought RTW BI the next day but was extremely disappointed. I rummaged through my disc draw and found IG. I had heard from a friend that IG had had a new patch released and downloaded. Well with my new computer the game is BRILLIANT compared to RTW BI. Battles don't take so long to wait for loading and during the battle and waiting for the conflict. IG is actually a good game. I'm now playing IG every night as the Brits and it is brilliant. I am a reformed player and I will now be spending a lot more time on these forums as well as playing. I do have a question though is it possible to play as a differnt faction say the Spanish or the Tunisians for example and is there a mod out somewhere to do this.

Thanks for any help and thank you PYRO for a brilliant game :)

ForlornHope
27th Oct 2005, 16:10
Highlander,
Try the TAFN site it has some mods to play as other nations, but due to some scripting issues it's difficult to switch completely. Also search through the threads here there are some great mods out to improve gameplay.
Good Luck!
Forlorn

PaX_Norway
27th Oct 2005, 17:54
Dont play your champain on difficulty HARD folks

I tought maybe that hard mean that the AI was more intelligente. Not!
The AI units just cheat, and thats ofcause more difficult.

Over and over and over i tryd this, but hte ressults are the same.
Exampel: the AI attack my 3 elite infantri units with standar cavalry. We open fire, kill maybe 3-4, open fire again, and kill 3-4 more of them. Then this ONE unit AI cavalry slaughter 50-70% of my troops..

Ok,,lets try to switch this scenario. I charge 3 enemy infantry units with one of my best cavalry unit. Long before i even reach the enemy, i have been shoot down by their infantry.. dam this cheating!!

anyway,,i still love this game, this is what i have been waiting for.. but i would like to se something like this, but more based on RTW.

c00lizz
14th Nov 2005, 09:18
Hard is fun. The AI is so aggresive it's suicidal, with some fast unit building as Britain you can take over France in some ten turns because all they'll have left is 1-2 millita's. Everything else will have been suicided.

Oststar
16th Nov 2005, 04:47
I got very pissed off when a single Russian sloop blew two frigates out of the water...

Especially considering it's a 16-gun sloop against two 44-gun Frigates, so the shot the sloop fired would have made the British sailors laugh at them...

Indeed, I like the agressiveness of hard difficulty with the Strategic AI: there's nothing like playing as France, having Spain attack you, defeating them and occupying Catalonia and Aragon, then having every minor nation on France's eastern borders simataneously declare war and try to have a peice of the wounded Giant that is France. It's rather 'exhilarating' perhaps is the word, to have to juggle everything: make peace with Spain, or try to annex them and use their resources to conquer your Eastern enemies? Fight on two fronts, or close one and thereby use money that could have been several battalions? Make peace with all but one nation and just take it out on them? Make peace with one nation? Wait for them to exhaust themselves? Do I take money from research and potentially harm by nation in Era 2 & 3?

Then on another level: do I use three captains, or leave one in Ile De France permanently and just use two? Should I lose men to remove Piedmont from the war, or just dance around them? Do I take the opportunity to divide the Helvetian Republic's units and conquer them seperately, or just let them retreat back home? Should I wait until I can more fully outnumber them and then attack?

That part of the game is my favorite: fighting on multiple fronts with too few troops and too little resources to reinforce...

But on one Hard game Poland declared war on me at 71% relations. And in the Tactic AI, it took dozens of Polish Infantry to overcome the mixed rabble that Russia raised against me because of the 'cheats' Russia used.

officerpuppy
16th Nov 2005, 06:39
I gotta play on hard from now on, though last time I tried hard I played with Prussia, I got wiped off the map in 70 turns, half of the time it was spent hoping my rebel army coudl defeat the army that was trying to take my capitol since my small army got wiped out earlier in the game and I had no real money or resources to build up again.

Oststar
16th Nov 2005, 07:56
I gotta play on hard from now on, though last time I tried hard I played with Prussia, I got wiped off the map in 70 turns, half of the time it was spent hoping my rebel army coudl defeat the army that was trying to take my capitol since my small army got wiped out earlier in the game and I had no real money or resources to build up again.

Prussian Campain on hard generally results in Poland, Saxony or Austria invading you. I've played it about three times and every time one of the three has tried to invade me, sometimes all, sometimes just two, or maybe Russia. The furthest I got was annexing Poland, Hanover, Bavaria, Galaecia, and Saxony, then I formatted my machine and ever since I've preferred Britain and France.

Highlander58
21st Nov 2005, 14:43
Well I'm playing a campaign as Britain and I've got most of France and Scandanavia but i've been held up by the Bavarians and Saxons. I've got a great economy and I'm producing loads of units but I can't seem to get through. Any tactical advice would be useful thanks.