PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360 - Very Impressive

Trinity34
15th Oct 2005, 12:44
Xbox 360's New Media Play Finding Fans
By Matt Hines
October 14, 2005

NEW YORK—Microsoft Corp.'s emerging strategy around establishing its Xbox 360 video game console as a central element of consumers' home entertainment systems found favor with many observers at the DigitalLife conference here on Friday.

It also previewed everything from new gaming software that takes advantage of the device's more powerful video and audio processing capabilities to its expanded interfaces for integrating directly with handheld digital media players.

Peter Moore, vice president of worldwide marketing at Microsoft, played to a raucous audience that cheered when it saw future iterations of popular games such as Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy and Sonic the Hedgehog.

The crowd was nearly as impressed with Microsoft's promise that the Xbox 360 will provide even more entertainment options.

In addition to playing video games, the Redmond, Wash.-based company is hoping that consumers will increasingly use the devices to download music, movies and other forms of digital content, making the console a more integral fixture in the living rooms of the future.

At the center of Microsoft's plan to expand the Xbox's presence is a more robust version of its Xbox Live online gaming service, through which it plans to offer downloads of music videos, movie trailers and other forms of digital entertainment.

A free version of the service, for which Microsoft currently charges $49.99 per year, will be offered with each Xbox 360 as part of the effort to encourage gamers to use their consoles to move beyond mere video games.

A for-pay "gold" version of Live will boast even more content, Moore said.

As long-predicted by Atari Founder Nolan Bushnell, Moore said that improved graphics and more detailed story lines for games won't be enough to successfully market large volumes of future consoles to consumers.

Like the venerated industry icon, the Microsoft executive believes that creating new ways for people to communicate and interact via the devices holds the most potential for expanding their footprint in the home.

"In the old days (gaming) was just a guy against the computer in his bedroom, now it's about bringing a community of millions together," Moore said.

"Whether you use instant messenger or a cell phone, people are increasingly in touch with communities, and that's something that were driving toward with gaming as well, bringing huge communities together in a number of new ways."

A prime example of Microsoft's converging entertainment plans, and some of the new synergies offered by Xbox 360 and the expanded Live service, can be found in the feature length movie being created based on the storyline of one of the company's most successful games, "Halo."

Microsoft-owned game maker Bungie recently signed a deal with Universal Studios to make the movie, which will be directed by Peter Jackson of "Lord of the Rings" fame, and the company plans to offer downloads of trailers and other related movie content via Live.

Creating new opportunities to market such blended content to its subscribers is one way the firm believes it can get people to expand their use of the consoles, Moore said.

Another consumer-friendly feature of the Xbox 360 can be found in its expanded parental controls, which can be set to block specific users from viewing adult-rated movies or content, or from playing video games bearing the "mature" designation, which is meant to keep the titles out of children's hands.

However, perhaps the most impressive multimedia function Moore demonstrated with the Xbox 360 was its ability to instantly recognize and interact with mobile devices, including handhelds made by its closest rivals, such as Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod and Sony Corp.'s PSP.

Plugged into a USB port on the Xbox 360, users will be able to listen to music stored on their iPods or other MP3 players, or to view pictures stored on their PSPs (PlayStation Portables).

Consumers attending the preview were impressed with the new Xbox capabilities and said that such emerging console applications would encourage them to invest in next-generation systems.

Dyran and Dyrell Smith, 17-year-old twin brothers from New York's Samuel Gompers High School, were split on what features of the Xbox 360 excited them most, but both found things to love about the new system.

"It's all about the games and graphics first, but adding all this other stuff is pretty cool," said Dyran. "The new media (applications) would definitely encourage me to buy it even sooner."

"It's definitely the other stuff, plugging in an MP3 player and hearing your music right on there, that's really cool and I'd buy that," observed Dyrell.

For New York-based gamer Rasheen Jackson, 31, the added multimedia tools are exactly the type of innovation he said he's been looking for in a new gaming system.

"That's the best aspect of this, that it's going to bring a lot of the new media things you see on a computer into the console," Jackson said.

"I don't want to have to have a computer in my living room just to download movies or listen to music, and that's what they're talking about," he said.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1871558,00.asp

Trinity34
15th Oct 2005, 13:06
I just looked up more info on the DigitalLife conference in New York City this weekend. It's open to the public. :)

http://www.digitallife.com/images/v4/main_logo.gif

http://www.digitallife.com/index.html

Alti
15th Oct 2005, 20:53
Thanks for posting Trinity. The 360 does sound impressive, but the Xbox never had any games that I wanted so I never bought one. I think I will still stick with buying a PS3. :)

LostCry
15th Oct 2005, 22:17
Thats what i thought, i never wanted the games. But then i realised many of the PS2 and xbox games were similar, and the xbox has internal memory and the xbox live abilty (which comes free with the 360!!) so i guess there are advantages...

Xxx_Lara_xxX
15th Oct 2005, 23:02
I was sure I wanted a PS3 until the difference in graphics became so apparent -- now I'm thinking Xbox, the Xbox has always had better graphics, but it didn't ave enough games

midroth
15th Oct 2005, 23:40
Xbox1 vs. PS2. The Xbox had the better graphics (engine).
XBox 360 vs. PS3. The performance of the PS3 is 2x-5x higher/stronger!The Xbox 360 will have a graphic comparable to PC graphic cards comming to end of 2005, or a new one of today. The Xbox 360 has also further other 'lack of functions' the PS3 and your PC don't have.
The Xbox seems to be this time a 'lol'box...
Anywhere between Nintendos Revolution and the Sonys PS3 (Cell, super computer technology).

tip
16th Oct 2005, 01:53
nice nice
think imma cop that 360 thingie
i will never buy another sony gaming device.
*psp is junk!* ps2 is junk too but we all know that, dont we? ;)

* i have that crappy handheld for 1 week and its allready starting to fail.. buttons hang! buttons hang! buttons hang! buttons ha.... Im hanging too :D
Dont buy a psp if you re not sure about it! It will make you wanna rewind the clock ;)... tho its pretty addictive and its one of a kind :cool:

LostCry
16th Oct 2005, 15:55
For me it doesnt matter if the PS3 is stronger. I like the design of the 360 and all the features it has. Plus the fact that the full package of the 360 comes pre-installed with a free version of Xbox Live is bloody fantastic! Although the PS3 may be stronger and people may refer to it as the 'ultimate' next-gen console, i feel they should take a closer look, the specs may be higher, but they havent payed much attention to detail...this time around, the Xbox360 is all about detail and quality, the PS3 thinks it can win through with power.

Actually, we should vote... :rolleyes:

LaraAngelOfDarkness
16th Oct 2005, 21:05
For me it doesnt matter if the PS3 is stronger. I like the design of the 360 and all the features it has. Plus the fact that the full package of the 360 comes pre-installed with a free version of Xbox Live is bloody fantastic! Although the PS3 may be stronger and people may refer to it as the 'ultimate' next-gen console, i feel they should take a closer look, the specs may be higher, but they havent payed much attention to detail...this time around, the Xbox360 is all about detail and quality, the PS3 thinks it can win through with power.

Actually, we should vote... :rolleyes:

The 360 is just trying to pull a PS2 on Sony, I.E. get out before the competition so it can build up a gaming library like Sony did with the PS2 to Xbox and Gamecube. The problem is many of the games for 360 just focus on trying to get as many enemies on screen as they possibly can (which doesn't add to gameplay). They are trying to rush the system out too fast IMHO, and its gonna hurt them in the long run. The graphics so far are just..........okay (although TR:Legend and Gears of War did look good in those videos).

And as for new features on both systems, I just want a gaming machine that plays games, not make shirt designs or do picture to picture chat!

LostCry
16th Oct 2005, 22:59
The 360 is just trying to pull a PS2 on Sony, I.E. get out before the competition so it can build up a gaming library like Sony did with the PS2 to Xbox and Gamecube. The problem is many of the games for 360 just focus on trying to get as many enemies on screen as they possibly can (which doesn't add to gameplay). They are trying to rush the system out too fast IMHO, and its gonna hurt them in the long run. The graphics so far are just..........okay (although TR:Legend and Gears of War did look good in those videos).

And as for new features on both systems, I just want a gaming machine that plays games, not make shirt designs or do picture to picture chat!

I see what your getting at! But if the cool featrues were there, wouldnt you be tempted to use them...? :)

Xxx_Lara_xxX
17th Oct 2005, 00:00
Whichever plays TRL the best --

I guess thats a weird standard for buying a console but its true, the TR games are my dearest love and I made a mistake buying a PS2 last time because that is what everyone else had and it played a lot of games but the Xbox graphics were so much better

Microsoft is supposedly bringing in more games for their platform because of what happened last time -- well when I see screenshots and reviews of TRL on both systems then I'll know :D

Master
17th Oct 2005, 02:56
Alot of the games worth playing on the PS2 you can buy for the PC so why should I waste my money on a PS2?
The 360 is going to be here in November and the PS3, sometime next year so we're see what's a better machine!!
Sony always boasts about their junk hardware but it has never proven itself!!
The only thing Sony has going for it is backwards capibility but that's not a big thing becuse who wants to play old games on new hardware unless they're diehard fans? :p

Trinity34
17th Oct 2005, 12:28
Just from looking at the specs of the Xbox360 and PS3.... what do you want to bet PC games are going to be phased out eventually? More console games are sold than PC games and all the problems seem to come from the PC games because there are so many different OS's and graphic cards to deal with.

LostCry
17th Oct 2005, 15:04
Whichever plays TRL the best --

I guess thats a weird standard for buying a console but its true, the TR games are my dearest love and I made a mistake buying a PS2 last time because that is what everyone else had and it played a lot of games but the Xbox graphics were so much better

Microsoft is supposedly bringing in more games for their platform because of what happened last time -- well when I see screenshots and reviews of TRL on both systems then I'll know :D

So true! I was only going to buy the 360 just for Dead Or Alive 4! Then i read that Legends was coming out for it too! Sleepness nights...here i come! :D

Sophia Leigh
17th Oct 2005, 23:47
Just from looking at the specs of the Xbox360 and PS3.... what do you want to bet PC games are going to be phased out eventually? More console games are sold than PC games and all the problems seem to come from the PC games because there are so many different OS's and graphic cards to deal with.

Very true Tinity34, I didn't need patches for my games on Playstation but my PC games on the other hand.....

Master
29th Oct 2005, 15:39
I was sure I wanted a PS3 until the difference in graphics became so apparent -- now I'm thinking Xbox, the Xbox has always had better graphics, but it didn't ave enough games

The 360 has all the japanese support it didn't have with the 1st console. In the game department 360 & PS3 will be running neck to neck!So it's raelly about power this time around.There's only a few exclusive titles these two machines have left to themselves :rolleyes:
The Hard Drive what made me buy a Xbox then I got hooked on Halo,DOA3,Ghost Recon and more!
When I bought a PSone all those years ago I only wanted Tekken,RE2 and Bushido blade but then I got hooked on Cras Bandicoot,Tomb Raider, Syphon Filter and a bunch of others! Why am I saying all this? Because you'll be amazed how many games you'll be unterested in when buying a console! :)
I recomend Splinter Cell! It's like a cross between Tomb Raider and Syphon Filter. :thumbsup:

Master
29th Oct 2005, 15:43
So true! I was only going to buy the 360 just for Dead Or Alive 4! Then i read that Legends was coming out for it too! Sleepness nights...here i come! :D

Sorry, I have to comment; You said it buddy!! :D

midroth
29th Oct 2005, 18:15
W--

...This time will have the PS3 the stronger graphics (resolution = up to 1080p), the stronger processor and the ability to play HD-DVD (Blu-Ray is builded in). The X cannot (HD just with downloaded trailers you have to registrate (Terminator2 for example)).
Analysts say the Xbox 360 is between Nintendos Revolution and PS3. 'Til the end of 2006 4,5 - 5,5 millions X can -maybe- be sold (~80%+ in the USA, american thinking=developed/made in the USA, have to be good (with taiwan chips...)), but 14+ millions of the PS3 will/could be sold 'til march same year. A good/strong PC will be comparable to the Xbox 360, the PS3 is "a new world".
And the PS3 is full backwarts compatible, the X is not too.
Much, much more games are to get for the PS3.
Roumors says: The PS3 is this time region code free (for games).

Imho:
Better you wait 'til the PS3 is there and try and see.
Before you lost money, or get what you don't want/like, have to talk beauty.

LostCry
29th Oct 2005, 19:19
Sorry, I have to comment; You said it buddy!! :D

yay! I always say it *yaps away* :D

so you were getting DOA4 too?

Wisby
31st Oct 2005, 11:53
For me,I shall play TRL on PC.
I've got used to it!

LaraAngelOfDarkness
31st Oct 2005, 22:02
I seriously think the X-box 360 will lose again this time. The Japanese won't buy it; it is as simple as that (becuase it is an American made product). Also due to the fact the 360 WILL NOT have Final Fantasy XIII on its system, the PS3 will win by default. :D