PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rome-Total War, Official 3rd Patch, 1.3 released

Hengist_Sharpe
15th Oct 2005, 00:06
Just in case people haven't heard.

I know there's a lot of Rome Strat/RTS players here, so I thought it was appropriate to create this 'Off-topic' post concerning the 3rd patch released by the Creative Assembly team for their great game; Rome-Total War.

It's available from the CA website.

Here's the readme...

GAMEPLAY ISSUES

Balancing
There are a number of improvements that have been made to the Balancing of the game, which will change the way that the game is played.

Spear bonuses against cavalry have been increased (they were previously hard coded and are now moddable, in addition to mount_effect)
Braced spearmen (standing ready) now reflect part of any attacking cavalry’s charge bonus back on the horse
Adjusted most units’ charge bonuses to improve play balance (especially for cavalry) in response to charge code changes (which fixed an issue for higher bonus values)
Reduced archery attack for some elite units
Reduced secondary non-phalanx attack for stronger phalanx units
Adjusted incorrect shield attribute for several units (to reflect models)
Fixed Egyptian desert axemen armour
Fixed bug for early and late Thracian and Scythian generals
Reduced archer attack from chariots and elephants, and reduced dog attack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code Issues

We fixed a number of different bugs and associated issues for the patch, below you will see some of the headline fixes.

Campaign Map

There have been numerous fixes to the Campaign Map. There are a few highlights below.

The Load Save bug has been addressed
The speed on the campaign map has been improved.
There has been Improvements to the Campaign map AI
There is a better mix of rebelling units, including mercenary units and fewer peasants
Fewer brigands, more pirates and the ability to mod the rate that these appear
Fixed issues with the faction graphs where a dead faction was still receiving income

Battle Map

As with the campaign map there have been numerous little fixes and so we have chosen only to list a few highlights

Improvements have been made to the battle AI
Pre-battle speeches for the Roman factions now include sections on previous meetings with that faction

Xenophon
15th Oct 2005, 11:14
:rolleyes: Wrong forum dude!:)

Hengist_Sharpe
15th Oct 2005, 12:16
:rolleyes: Wrong forum dude!:)
Sorry, I don't understand?

There isn't an 'Imperial Glory - Off Topic Forum' here where I could have posted this news. I know that this is the 'General Discussion' forum and that is why I prefixed my post title with 'OT:' (Off-topic). The reason I also posted here, as I also mentioned earlier, is that I know that there are a lot of Imperial Glory players here who also play Rome-Total War, mainly because they are both considered to be in the same genre of games that blend Turn based strategy and Real time strategy into one complete whole package.

I just thought that some people would appreciate that there was a new third patch available.

ytareh
15th Oct 2005, 12:26
"Xenophobia"=fear of foreign or different things/people.Of course we're interested in other games ....!

Oststar
15th Oct 2005, 13:44
If only this would shame IG's devs into releasing a patch worth the download times...

Mike_B
15th Oct 2005, 16:11
The general discussion forums are there so that related games can be discussed there as well so there's no problem with this thread.

Hengist_Sharpe
19th Oct 2005, 08:48
Thanks for clearing that up @m.
I was a little baffled by Xenophon comments, especially as he hasn't replied on why he made such a statement.

Thanks once again for your intervention.

ST0MPA
21st Oct 2005, 10:35
oh well that was a quick excitement, reloaded RTW patched it to 1.3, played for ten (game)years and now it just crashes, i thought they fixed it :)

Granatenwerfer
21st Oct 2005, 13:02
In this forum I don't want to hear about other stuff when it is not IG related.

I like IG very much. I play it very often and I would buy an Add-On if available.

I play the "napoleonic wars" serie since "Fields of Glory" (1993) and I' m proud that I own such games.

I know RTW and I also believe it is a good game, too. But do you really think the users of this forum need a hint to RTW when they don't want it? Or is there no special forum for RTW that you need to discuss RTW-related stuff here?

Mike_B
21st Oct 2005, 16:05

I'm sorry but you're not the one to decide such things. The general discussion area is designed for general discussion regarding IG but also like minded games. If you want to discuss this further you can contact me via pm.

Thanks.

Hengist_Sharpe
21st Oct 2005, 16:10
Simple solution for you, don't read the post. It was clearly titled.

But do you really think the users of this forum need a hint to RTW when they don't want it?
'When they don't want it'?
Who are these people that you seem to think you are a spokesperson for?

Or is there no special forum for RTW that you need to discuss RTW-related stuff here?
Have you bothered to even read the other posts in this thread? I clearly said why I posted in this forum. Which bit didn't you understand?

@m is a moderator, and he has said that it's ok to post this news here. If you have a problem with his decision, I suggest you take it up with him.

ForlornHope
21st Oct 2005, 17:45
Personally any info regarding historically accurate RTS games is valuable. I love all of types of these and appreciate any info and certainly contributions made by someone such as sharpie who has contributed much to the forum.
Thank you for the info sharpie

Granatenwerfer
22nd Oct 2005, 18:15
@M
Of course I'm not the one who decide such things.

I did not want to control this forum instead of you @M - I feel very sorry if my message had the appearance to do so.

My goal was just to voice my opinion here in this general forum that the message of Hengist_Sharpe is improper - like Xenophon did. I did not want to delete his message or anything else - I just want to say "this message is wrong here" - no more.

If Hengist_Sharpe has the right to inform about a patch for another game then I have the right to voice my opinion here to that point, right?

IG is a good game. Compared with his predecessors there are a lot of new functions and better graphic. In Fields of Glory you only could re-enact the battles of Ligny, Wavre, Waterloo and Quatre Bras. In IG you can additionally play Europe and you have strategic rounds.

In my opinion it is unfair to compare IG with other games like RTW. People who do that could do a small contribution to take gamers from IG to RTW and in the follow they may destroy IG.
And this is what nobody of us want, or? I'm quite sure the makers of IG have no such interest - even your employer.

(Sorry for my English, but I still learn it)

Hengist_Sharpe
22nd Oct 2005, 19:41
Personally any info regarding historically accurate RTS games is valuable. I love all of types of these and appreciate any info and certainly contributions made by someone such as sharpie who has contributed much to the forum.
Thank you for the info sharpie
You're welcome Forlorn, and thanks for the kind words.

Mike_B
24th Oct 2005, 09:40
@M
I did not want to control this forum instead of you @M - I feel very sorry if my message had the appearance to do so.

It didn't, don't worry about it. A text can be interpreted in different ways since it lack the intonation of a speaker.

My goal was just to voice my opinion here in this general forum that the message of Hengist_Sharpe is improper - like Xenophon did. I did not want to delete his message or anything else - I just want to say "this message is wrong here" - no more.

Well you're allowed to voice your opinion of course (just like Hengist_Sharpe)but as I pointed out we accept this discussion in this area.

In my opinion it is unfair to compare IG with other games like RTW. People who do that could do a small contribution to take gamers from IG to RTW and in the follow they may destroy IG.

That is something that differs from person to person however there are threads regarding this subject and the thread wasn't started with the intention to compare it with RTW, just information for the players that a patch is out.

And this is what nobody of us want, or? I'm quite sure the makers of IG have no such interest - even your employer.

Well I don't work for Eidos or Pyro but the admins instructed that the general discussion area of the games can be used to discuss similair games.

Hengist_Sharpe
31st Oct 2005, 14:52
My goal was just to voice my opinion here in this general forum that the message of Hengist_Sharpe is improper - like Xenophon did.
Granatenwerfer,

Where did Xenophon say my post was improper?

GenMoore
1st Nov 2005, 00:01
'Guys', settle down, this is not a contest,'or is it', ;) .

I find its Improper to refer as Improper, so lets keep It on track'ok'. ;)

If you want and It makes you happy, I will control forum. :D .

I am shure the People In charge of this forum will let me . :D

Now i have your attention: 'cool it'. ;)

Hengist_Sharpe
9th Dec 2005, 19:01
Rome: Total War Patch 1.5 to be released next week...

Here's the readme.....

"Installation

You need to upgrade your version of RTW to version 1.3 before you install the 1.5 patch. If you do not, the patching process will not work and your game is unlikely to function.
This read-me details the main fixes made to the game. Other minor fixes and balances have been carried out.

Campaign Map

We have fixed the “memory leak” slowdown issue that was seen when playing the campaign map for prolonged periods.
We have fixed the Naval battles that were not working correctly in version 1.3. AI-controlled factions will now make proper use of ships.
Saved games from version 1.2 will work in version 1.5. A couple of other problems with saved games have also been fixed to prevent crashes.
The Gauls can no longer recruit Naked Fanatics as they no longer have farming-related shrines and temples.
Academy-class buildings now give a law bonus, as they do in the BI expansion pack. These buildings now have uses in cities without governors or generals in residence.
Only Roman factions can hold Games at an Arena-class building.
Diplomacy has been “tweaked” so that Roman diplomatic activity is more coherent.
Fleeing armies can now only flee once after a large battle defeat.

Units

We have added secondary low-quality sword to the phalanx-capable German Spearman Warband.
Removed inappropriate officer from Rebel Archer Warband units.
Reduced hit points for German Berserkers from 3 to 2 (matching those in BI).

Battle Map

Improvements have been made to prevent men spilling around the base of siege towers.
There was a pathfinding issue that made river battles very slow. This has been fixed.
Improvements have been made to the AI when orchestrating Skirmish Maneouvres.
The AI will now use 'fire at will' with idle units so that they throw pila at nearby enemies.
The AI will now make a decision about throwing pila before charging into combat based on the location of enemy units.

================================================

Rome: Total War – Barbarian Invasion Patch 1.6

There are a numerous areas of code that were looked at for the patch fix. The list below is the main fixes that have been made; other minor fixes and balancing changes were also carried out.

Campaign Map

Generals’ night fighting ability is granted at 4 stars rather than 5
We have fixed the “memory leak” slowdown that was seen on the Campaign map during extended play
Loyalty is now available with all shadow factions.
The faction leader will now not revolt.
When a horde is created, horde units are no longer added to existing armies that occupy forts.
We have fixed a bug that causes hordes to avoid fighting armies on bridges on the campaign map.

We have given Gratianus Flavius a unit of Imperial German Bodyguards to fix a missing general's unit bug in the starting positions.
We have made fixes to settlement tax updating, so that it correctly updates tax policy when changing governors
We fixed a bug that caused diplomats to gather at extreme southwest corner of map in some cases.
Fixed crash where settlement recruitment queue for rebellions was exceeding max size.
The Marriage Event trigger now works.
There are a large number of changes to the balance of the game in response to the extended play that has been done by forum users.
Fixed an issue where disembarkation paths were being left on the terrain.
The Nomad voices have been changed from Greek to Barbarian.
We have fixed crash where settlement recruitment queue for rebellions was exceeding max size.

Battle Map

Improvements have been made to prevent men spilling around the base of siege towers.
There was a pathfinding issue that made river battles very slow. This has been fixed.
Improvements have been made to the AI when orchestrating Skirmish Maneouvres.
The AI will now use 'fire at will' with idle units so that they throw pila at nearby enemies.
The AI will now make a decision about throwing pila before charging into combat based on the location of enemy units.
The unit experience upgrade “sparkling” effect can now be turned off using the UNIT_EXPERIENCE_UPGRADE_EFFECT tag in preferences.txt."