PDA

View Full Version : Legend PC preview at GamesRadar

Trinity34
11th Oct 2005, 21:52
Its interesting that this preview is for the PC version... anyone seen a demo yet? :D

Tomb Raider Legend
Price £34.99 (GBP) / Developer Crystal Dynamics / Publisher Eidos / Format previewed PC / Other formats PS2, Xbox / Out Spring 2006

PC Gamer steps in to assess the situation as Ms Croft attempts another comeback…
[11/10/2005 15:41]

So Lara fell off the wagon and we all laughed. Of course, we could see it coming a mile off.

Once famous for getting on to the front cover of The Face, Lara had become a tired, burnt-out hag. A couple of years ago desperate Eidos PRs couldn't even get her into games mags, never mind lifestyle publications. For Lara to regain her star status something radical had to be done.

Three words: Angel of Darkness. It was a genius marketing move, up there with Ferrero Rocher's terribly dubbed Ambassador's Reception ad.

You see, the execrable Angel of Darkness was the best thing that could have happened to Tomb Raider. Before Lara could be reborn she would first need to die. In this case, millions of times, due to bugs and retarded AI.

Now in the hands of Crystal Dynamics, Lara has emerged from the last two years of development looking startlingly refreshed. Most notably, there's been a considered effort to go back to the roots of the series.

Originally, we were excitedly guiding Lara through Amazon temples, plucking artefacts from Egyptian burial chambers and acting like a cross-dressing Indiana Jones. And the most memorable level from the last game? Getting stuck down a Parisian sewer.

Along with ancient and evocative locales, Lara's athleticism has been completely reworked. The range of moves, including new backflips and grappling holds, takes advantage of environments that no longer have the trademark blocky look.

Her fluidity is now on a par with Prince of Persia, with the heroine instinctively grabbing on to outcroppings and ledges.

Since Lara was at the height of her fame, physics have also moved on. In Legend, there's a distinct absence of block pushing.

Instead, all objects in the world have their own physical properties, and many of the puzzles involve tumbling, triggering or smashing the environment to help you clamber up to higher places or open new pathways.

This includes swinging from a rope to push down a drawbridge and felling a giant statue to trigger a waterwheel.

Integrated physics also lead to multiple solutions. With the waterwheel conundrum, it's possible to turn the mechanism either by throwing a hand grenade or shooting at it from a nearby gun emplacement.

So, is Tomb Raider Legend genuinely good or are we suckers for a plucky comeback? It's too early to tell, but new Lara is shaping up well and, at the very least, it's worth suspending cynicism for now.

The raiding of tombs is finally back on the agenda and, to go forward, sometimes it's better to step back.

Tomb Raider Legend is out for PC, PS2 and Xbox in spring 2006.

http://www.gamesradar.com/previews/default.asp?siteid=60&sectiontypeid=20&subsectionid=1599&articleid=37587&pagetypeid=2

Sophia Leigh
12th Oct 2005, 00:03
Thanks for the read Trin :thumbsup: :)

The opening was a little harsh, as far as I'm concerned Lara was never a "tired, burnt-out hag" :mad: :D

Legendary Lara Croft
12th Oct 2005, 17:17
anyone seen a demo yet? :D

what demo?

ELEN
12th Oct 2005, 18:33
Hmm... I don't see anything new in this preview. But I don't know where they were based in order to write this preview. I mean, what exactly did they see in order to write this article? In any case, I'm really, really glad for this positive and optimistic article. Thanks Ann.

Trinity34
12th Oct 2005, 22:50
what demo?

Playstation Magazine (UK) stated in one of their earlier articles that they have played the demo already and this is a PC review of Legend, so my thinking is that the demo may be out there somewhere.... or maybe just wishfull thinking. :D

Raven
13th Oct 2005, 04:10
Thanks for the read Trin :thumbsup: :)

The opening was a little harsh, as far as I'm concerned Lara was never a "tired, burnt-out hag" :mad: :D

I agree, but then this is utterly typical of the gaming magazine/critical community's approach to Legend. They always, always begin Legend previews by slagging off the previous games, AoD in particular. I'm sick of this to the extent that it's putting me off playing Legend at all.

dhama
13th Oct 2005, 05:13
£34.99 (GBP)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

CatSuit&Ponytail
13th Oct 2005, 07:08
I've told you before, ignore the critics, they get off on hearing themselves talk and imagining how clever they are. It's all they've got, to malign something they themselves could never aspire to. As much as I love a character, there will be people who try and besmirch. No-one is unbiased, and critics have an axe to grind, and don't care who they offend when sharing their pearls of hogwash.

WraithStar
13th Oct 2005, 16:46
I agree, but then this is utterly typical of the gaming magazine/critical community's approach to Legend. They always, always begin Legend previews by slagging off the previous games, AoD in particular. I'm sick of this to the extent that it's putting me off playing Legend at all.

Just stop reading the previews, then. Don't let people like that keep you from playing what looks to be a fantastic game :)