PDA

View Full Version : New media summary - your thoughts?

MissLara2U
6th Oct 2005, 13:24
Well. It's certainly been a mad couple of days, and we've a scorching collection of new media to show for it.

What's been your thoughts on the progress made to date, and the inclusion of Xbox 360 as another of Lara's platform of choice. Have you been impressed with what you've seen? Any critisisms, comments or suggestions?

Mangar The Dark
6th Oct 2005, 14:06
The game is looking great. But, honestly, I can't work up much enthusiasm about the Xbox 360 release. From what I hear, the Xbox 360 will retail at about $300-$400, and most games for it will have a MSRP of about $50-$60. Sorry, but that's just obscene, and I have no intention of spending that amount of money simply to play games (I generally don't like to spend over $15 for a game.)

Fortunately, the regular XBOX version is looking quite nice, so I'll definitely be buying the game for that system (unless, of course, the reviews completely trash it as being overly buggy or something-- so, don't get TOO confident, Eidos, you don't have my money YET! You gotta earn it!)

Overall, it really does look like the game is heading in the right direction.

As for the TR website... well, you already know my thoughts on that. Pretty, yes. But far too many animations bogging it down. I wish there was an option to turn off all the fluff and just get straight to the content. When I want to read a summary of the plot, why should I have to wait for the site to load an animation of a lock turning, then a door closing, then another lock, then another door opening... arrghh!!!! Just get to the point! Again, it's all well and good the first time through, but it gets really tedious on return visits, and I cannot access the site from home since I have a 56k connection. Seems a bit foolish of Eidos to cut off anyone who still has a dial-up modem (and anyone without the patience of a saint.) What's more, I can't even properly access the site from my computer at work since it takes so long and, well, I DO have work to do!

dhama
6th Oct 2005, 14:22
Well you know me by now M, i'm a stern critic, and nothing gets away from my fine toothed comb, so here it is.....

Yes, i'm impressed by what i've seen to date....... but (and you just knew that was coming) :D We had similar hype with great screenshots and ingame movies with TR AOD (remember how well Lara turned around in an ingame movie, her movements were so fluid.... but get to the game and she would spin on a sixpence :rolleyes: ) so no matter how many more we get, I simply won't get taken in by the hype this time until I play it.....heck, I might try and play a friends copy first unless a demo arrives before the release.

All I know is, I won't be spending hard earned cash on a new door stop, cos I already have 2 lemons.... wait a minute... 3 Lemons and maybe a Jackpot...... Nah!

Give me an editor with the game though and i'll buy it regardless. ;)

Mangar The Dark
6th Oct 2005, 14:30
I simply won't get taken in by the hype this time until I play it.....heck, I might try and play a friends copy first unless a demo arrives before the release.

Absolutey agree. AOD should have taught us all a lesson (while I didn't dislike the game as intensely as some of you, it certainly did not live up to the sky high expectations we all got from the prerelease hype.) I'll be waiting for a demo and reviews before buying this one. Pretty pictures do not a good game make.

(and I agree about the editor too-- but the odds of getting an Xbox level editor are nil.)

Trinity34
6th Oct 2005, 16:56
This question is a tough one because I do not think we have seen the real game Lara yet. But we are getting close. :) One of the reasons for buying a PS2 was to play TR so all this hype about Xbox seems a little strange. I have always thought of Lara as a Playstation girl. :) I think its a little too early to comment on the Xbox360 media because we have not really seen anything yet but the Playstation pics look great. I love the details of the environments and the "realism" Riley Cooper talked about in his interview. Game play does seem more real this time. As far as what I have seen of Lara, I do like the overall look of lara but sometimes the texture of her skin looks terrible. Maybe this will improve as time goes on.

Overall I am happy with what I have seen so far.

Mangar The Dark
6th Oct 2005, 17:00
I have always thought of Lara as a Playstation girl. :)

Blasphemy!!! She's a Windows/PC girl! ;) (at least, I THINK she was a Windows girl before she was PS Girl.)

So, it makes sense for her to be on the Xbox, what with Microsoft connection and all.

Trinity34
6th Oct 2005, 17:05
So, it makes sense for her to be on the Xbox, what with Microsoft connection and all.

Yeah I guess Microsoft needs a shot at TR too. :p SCi is probably doing the right thing here... trying to make Sony jealous! :D

midroth
6th Oct 2005, 17:12
Blasphemy!!! She's a Windows/PC girl! ;) (at least, I THINK she was a Windows girl before she was PS Girl.)

So, it makes sense for her to be on the Xbox, what with Microsoft connection and all.Nope, Lara was a Saturn girl before.

Yeah I guess Microsoft needs a shot at TR too. SCi is probably doing the right thing here... trying to make Sony jealousOr change here to a shooter...

Mangar The Dark
6th Oct 2005, 17:29
Not that it really matters, but since the topic came up-- Does anyone know for sure the order in which different platforms of TR were released. To me, it will always be a Windows game because that's the system I first played it on, and from I've seen, that is the best platform to play it on. But I know a lot of other people think of it as a Playstation game. I honestly always thought the PS version was a port of the PC version, but I may be wrong.

midroth
6th Oct 2005, 17:52
Saturn, PSX, PC, PS2, XBox, XBox 360, PSP. Goran may correct me (or not).
And Gamecube. But I forget when (before PC, after?).