PDA

View Full Version : Eidos unveils new titles - no new LoK game in there

Johnny_anoniem
30th Sep 2005, 14:52
Yesterday Eidos/ SCi revealed there release schedule within their financial report.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61088

As you can see, they're still not planning to make a new game in the LoK series.
If you'd ask me this doesn't sound very promising for the LoK fans out there, considering this release schedule covers over one year after release of the PS3, so we're speaking about 2007 already....

"We do not plan to launch next generation versions of the majority of our titles until at least one year after the release of the new hardware."
" By the way, SCi reckons the PS3 will launch in "late 2006", and is planning its release schedule accordingly "

What a sad day for all LoK fans out there :(

The only thing left for us to do now is to hope for a secret announcement somewhere over the next few years...

TheWatcher
30th Sep 2005, 15:51
considering this release schedule covers over one year after release of the PS3, so we're speaking about 2007 already....

"We do not plan to launch next generation versions of the majority of our titles until at least one year after the release of the new hardware."
Sounds like SCi doesn't plan on releasing much of anything PS3-wise until around 2007 (and cross-console titles like to come out simultaneously, so in that regard not much 360-wise either), so what's yer point? There's no LOK6 announced, but they're probably still recovering from just about everyone involved for any length of time leaving. Even if new writers are now in place (if, I say), they've got to get up to speed on the entire story and then get to work on the next installment.

Even a lack of news here doesn't really suprise me. It's possible we will see a LOK6 in that timeframe and Eidos is just practicing a little CYA here just in case.

BigKevSexyMan
30th Sep 2005, 17:47
The next LoK better not suck with all the time they're taking. They better a least be working on ideas behind gameplay or the story. I swear, word will not be able to describe my hate for Eidos if LoK6 is average or worse.

DMraider
30th Sep 2005, 20:40
I don`t know... Why would they wait for about 3 or 4 years and then decide to continue this game....just so the relatively "few" fans are happy?

I

TheWatcher
1st Oct 2005, 03:55
I just don't think Crystal is sitting around 'waiting'. Very early after Defiance was released Amy Hennig left, and hot on her heels were two of the three writers who inherited the story (of Kyle Mannerberg, Jen Fernandez and Richard Lemarchand - I can't remember if it was two or all three). With that much of a brain drain that fast, Crystal had no choice but to put the series on hiatus. Most (if not all) the LOK staff probably went to work on other projects. Last I heard, there is a new director of games (can't remember his name), but I think the LOK universe is just too big for one person anymore.

There is also probably still some internal debate as to the merits of making another game, as it seems LOK-title sales never fail to dissapoint - according to Eidos' financial reports. With Defiance, the PC port was considered throwing the fans a bone.

FearGhoul
1st Oct 2005, 05:25
I wanna play Doll Reaver.

Umah Bloodomen
1st Oct 2005, 05:59
I wanna play Doll Reaver.

Priceless! :D

EDIT: And for those of you who aren't familiar with what our friend, Zulgbrtzhllha is referring to: click here to find out (http://members.aol.com/turelzevir/lot-downloads.html).

fneh
1st Oct 2005, 18:51
Tomb Raider 1 for psp??? ha. I suddenly don't care LOK is over.....

Apocrypha Roxy
2nd Oct 2005, 00:29
I'm in no rush for the next LoK title. Let them take as long as they need to; so long as a quality product is sent out, I have no problem.

The only problem is, will the company be pressed for time once they begin development? :(

DMraider
2nd Oct 2005, 12:10
They want cash so yes.

Tomb Raider?? lol LOK is far better. better story, cooler characters etc.

fneh
2nd Oct 2005, 22:06
They want cash so yes.

Tomb Raider?? lol LOK is far better. better story, cooler characters etc.

Tomb Raider 1 is timeless. That game was astonishing when it was released. It's the Doom of the 3rd person adventure

the dark one
3rd Oct 2005, 20:53
I can wait since I look forward to seeing it on the "playstation3" I remember how cool it was seeing how much raziel and Lok had changed from one playstaion to the next.

It does help though that (knock on wood) the next prince of persia is to come out this year.

fneh
3rd Oct 2005, 22:40
I can wait since I look forward to seeing it on the "playstation3" I remember how cool it was seeing how much raziel and Lok had changed from one playstaion to the next.

It does help though that (knock on wood) the next prince of persia is to come out this year.

The way I see it is if nothign has been announced by now then there's not going to be anything else..

Apocrypha Roxy
6th Oct 2005, 21:53
I never got to play TR1. My PC wouldn't run it (98/DOS don't mix?). :(

Looking forward to TR Legends, though. :thumbsup:
AND Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones. Booyah.

The next LoK should come out in the near future. It's probably just in early stages of developmet (barely). Games take years to develop, and by the time we'll actually hear of it, the process will already be in full swing. I'm not afraid of anything. :)

EarlyMelchiahm
7th Oct 2005, 16:16
Well if they do get round to what we're hoping for, they better release it on PC as I don't have plans on buying a PS3.

blincoln
7th Oct 2005, 18:59
Given the sales of the PC versions of the last three games, the likelihood of another PC LoK title is essentially zero.

fneh
7th Oct 2005, 22:40
as far as I'm concerned, a game like LOK should be played on a console on a nice BIG widescreen TV for full cinematic effect.

Smoke_Z
8th Oct 2005, 02:21
My computer monitor is bigger than my television. :p (I got S-video output though)

If the next LOK is only on a console I don't own, I suppose I could rent a machine. I'd rather buy a game for a unit I have, but I won't by a next gen console until the price goes down.

DMraider
8th Oct 2005, 09:51
as far as I'm concerned, a game like LOK should be played on a console on a nice BIG widescreen TV for full cinematic effect.

Agreed. on my nice 72cm 100 hz screen it`s all good. :)

Should be played on a playstation.

The new consoles aren`t that expensive though. The PS2 was about 500 euro, now the new one is so much improved u would expect far higher cost. But it won`t matter that much I think. 450-599 euro I think.

And about prince of persia. I liked the 2nd game, the 1st one was way to repetative to me. And I had enough of the 2nd too after playing it.
Maybe the 3rd one will be better though :)

fneh
8th Oct 2005, 17:41
in the UK:

PS: £500 at launch
PS2: £300 at launch (and was considered expensive)
xbox: £270 at launch I think?
xbox 360: £280 at launch
Ps3: £350 at launch?

DMraider
8th Oct 2005, 18:13
Yea people complain to much about the prizes.

Remember how old snes games sometimes costed 200 GULDENS. (aka 90-100 dollars)

And the old consoles were expensive. Now we get wireless controllers, very powerfull console and alot of other stuff, and people still think 500 euro @ release is alot.

WraithStar
8th Oct 2005, 19:07
It *is* expensive. My brother paid $50 and upgraded a 7 year old PC such that it can now play most of the new games we have. Besides that, the console games are always so expensive and hardly ever come down in price. The only reason that the PC version of Defiance sold so poorly is that they released it months later after having spent all summer claiming that there wouldn't be a PC version at all. The only ones who ended up buying the PC version, then, would be people like me who only have PC's and who like the series enough to hang around hoping that a PC version would be released anyway. All of the other PC gamers either forgot about the series or bought a console copy instead, either thinking there wouldn't be a PC version, or else not wanting wait. I hope that they make a PC version of the next game, but if they don't I really don't care. I had much more fun RP'ing about LOK than I had actually playing the games.

FearGhoul
8th Oct 2005, 19:22
Personally, the next gen consles just don't impress me so far. Better graphics? So what? The consles we have now are fine enough, I don't care if it can look better, I still love my old Game Boy games even. Though I do admit that I was amazed when I saw what Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to look like, but I still think that the systems we have are fine.
Well there is one exception. The Revolution looks like it's actually going to be changing things around. I'm looking forward to that much more than the PS3 or Xbox360. Let's just hope that Nintendo can live up to the potential of that thing.

fneh
8th Oct 2005, 22:58
it'll cost a lot more for a PC with the same spec as Xbox360................ It has 3 3.2 gig processors for crying out loud!

Apocrypha Roxy
9th Oct 2005, 01:46
At the release of the next game (and the new PS3), I will OWN the living room television. I have no idea how many inches it is, but when you watch the news I swear you can see their pores, it's that big.

Everyone gets kicked out. No soap operas, no primetime movies, nothing.
Except the traffic/weather channel, because it kicks butt.

And I'm gonna sit RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SCREEN!!! :D
(When the game finishes, I shall no longer require my vision to be perfect, for I will have seen a great glory of an ending to a great glory of a series, and all will be right with the world).
I'm not afraid of coke-bottle glasses. :cool:

... does make getting icecream a bit of a hassle, though, with poor vision.

3pwud
9th Nov 2005, 15:33
Are you guys really thinking there will be a #6?

I have my fingers crossed... like they've been crossed all these years for a Monkey Island 5.

Or a better Monkey Island 3 with Ron Gilbert (grumpygamer.com) at the helm again.

Jeffers
10th Nov 2005, 11:46
I hope there will be another LoK.

Although I suppose Defiance wouldn't be too much of a bad place to stop, there is still a large chunk of story that can be told.

It was kinda (unofficially) mentioned that there were plans to make another one and with 3 people appointed to replace Amy Henning it looks promising still providing everyone is still there after the take over.

Plus there has been roughly 2 1/2 years between the releases of the games, so going off that roughly it could well be august 2007 before it is released (If there is one) so possibly another 6 months - 1 year before we hear anything.

Jeffers

Vampmaster
10th Nov 2005, 12:29
I think at least one of those three (Jen Fernández, Richard Lemarchand, and Kyle Mannerberg) left Crystal Dynamics, but it might be a good idea if Carol Wolf continued the story since she worked with Amy on the Defiance story and on BO2 as well. There's also Paul Jenkins who worked with Kurt and Richard on the SR2 story who could work on the next one. Brett Robbins, Steven Ross did the BO2 script but IMO (and I think a lot of peoples *tries not to be offensive*) that had the weakest story of the LOK games so maybe the others might be preferable. On the other hand it could have been more difficult because they were writing a bit of a spin off to the SR1 & 2 plot and none of them had worked on the other games. Anyway I think Carol would be the best choice to avoid (or clear up) any plot holes remaining between BO2 and the other games having worked on both BO2 and Defiance. I checked SR1 as well. There's Jim Curry who worked on the SR1 script with Amy and Richard and Seth Carus who worked with Amy on the story concept. So there's plenty people who could write the next game. Hopefully there's still a few of them at Crystal Dynamics.

WraithStar
10th Nov 2005, 15:27
Indeed. I think I heard that Jen, Richard and Kyle all left, but that many people who worked on the games are still there, so I'm hopeful. I personally didn't think that the BO2 story was weak at all. It was definately more complex than the SR1 story, and it was more straight-forward than Defiance, but I think it was done perfectly for what it was--a flashback of young Kain's rise to power as opposed to Raziel's games, which were more concerned with seeking answers. It makes sense to me to have Kain's story be more goal-oriented while Raziel's story is more about exploration, so I think that the stories are different but I wouldn't say that either BO2 or SR2 is weaker. I think that Defiance had a very strong story, but it could have been told in a much better way. There should have been a bit more dialogue and a few less murals, I think. Maybe it's just me, but I was really confused how Kain and Raziel read so much into the murals when I just saw a guy painted on the wall (I still don't see how either champion looks like Raziel):rolleyes:

Nexus Reaver
13th Nov 2005, 04:10
tahst the funny thing...none of the murals look anything like kain or raziel....i mean teh hylden champion looked like a hylden and vice versa..and then u got the Scion of balance mural...

FearGhoul
13th Nov 2005, 04:57
Well I thought Raziel looks a little like them. The Hylden one has blazing eyes and a flaming sword afterall.

WraithStar
13th Nov 2005, 19:50
Well I thought Raziel looks a little like them. The Hylden one has blazing eyes and a flaming sword afterall.

So did the Sarafan Lord. The murals were so vague that it could have been pretty much any character in the game. What would have made more sense is if Raziel looks at the murals and muses over them a bit without really interpreting them. Then, when he meets the souls of the Ancient Pillar guardians, instead of going directly into combat, Raziel asks them about the murals and they reveal the meanings, perhaps some calling Raziel their champion and others calling him their enemy.

Lär
27th Nov 2005, 03:24
I think at least one of those three (Jen Fernández, Richard Lemarchand, and Kyle Mannerberg) left Crystal Dynamics, but it might be a good idea if Carol Wolf continued the story since she worked with Amy on the Defiance story and on BO2 as well. There's also Paul Jenkins who worked with Kurt and Richard on the SR2 story who could work on the next one. Brett Robbins, Steven Ross did the BO2 script but IMO (and I think a lot of peoples *tries not to be offensive*) that had the weakest story of the LOK games so maybe the others might be preferable. On the other hand it could have been more difficult because they were writing a bit of a spin off to the SR1 & 2 plot and none of them had worked on the other games. Anyway I think Carol would be the best choice to avoid (or clear up) any plot holes remaining between BO2 and the other games having worked on both BO2 and Defiance. I checked SR1 as well. There's Jim Curry who worked on the SR1 script with Amy and Richard and Seth Carus who worked with Amy on the story concept. So there's plenty people who could write the next game. Hopefully there's still a few of them at Crystal Dynamics.
Why don't they just contract out the story and script writing? I mean, come on, there are a bunch of folks in this forum alone that are so entrenched in the overall LoK story arc, that I'm sure one of them can do a better job than some SCi/Eidos payrolled newb. :rolleyes:

Ta-ta... :cool:

Banandelux
27th Nov 2005, 04:18
The only thing left for us to do now is to hope for a secret announcement somewhere over the next few years...

No the only thing left to do is to abandon Eidos to its doom, now that they have stopped LOK and Thief they will Fall like when Interplay stopped Fallout.