PDA

View Full Version : Tomb raider games vs Tomb raider movies

SethKoopa
29th Sep 2005, 17:00
Most Tomb raiders will evidently notice that the Tomb raider movies rather take the whole setting of the games quite liberally, such as in the following factors:

- Lara's parents are both dead, and that his death had the effect on her causing her to search for adventures in exotic locations.
- Hillary and Bryce (not that Winston gone is a bad thing, in my personal opinion)

And Alex West and other such things. What are your thoughts on the unescapable difference between the games and the films? I think of them as two seperate Tomb raiders, but what do you think?

Johnny
29th Sep 2005, 20:35
I agree. The whole Lara Croft concept behind the games and the movies is the same, but they are very much different at the same time.

L Croft
29th Sep 2005, 21:05
they are to different really, I have seen one of the movies and didn't like it much and I have never bothered putting movie info on my site as I don't feel its relevent.

Trinity34
30th Sep 2005, 02:37
I think its just a different expression of who Lara is... just like people draw different images of Lara or write fan fiction about her. Some people get so stuck on the game Lara I think they fail to see that Lara means different things to different people.

Sophia Leigh
30th Sep 2005, 04:36
I much prefer the games although I really enjoyed the movies too.

As a fan I would have preferred that they matched Lara's history though. In the first movie there is no reason they couldn't have adapted the story so that Jon Voight's character was her grandfather instead of her father.

I loved the way Lara's mansion in the movie looked so much like the mansion in the games, Angelina portrayed the character really well (although if you want to get down to the nitty-gritty she could have worn brown contact lenses).

As far as the Winston goes, lets just pretend he retired and that Hilary is his replacement :D

CatSuit&Ponytail
30th Sep 2005, 06:25
I think its just a different expression of who Lara is... just like people draw different images of Lara or write fan fiction about her. Some people get so stuck on the game Lara I think they fail to see that Lara means different things to different people.
Well said. :)

Mangar The Dark
30th Sep 2005, 13:44

I can sort of understand that, but on the other hand, isn't that like writing a novel about, say, Rocky Balboa, and changing his character from what we see in the movies (maybe he never married Adrian, and he lives in his parents' basement with his cat Fluffy) and then saying, "Well, too many people get so stuck on the Rocky that they see in the movies." It would be kind of silly-- Rocky is a movie character, so the novel should be based on how the movies defined him, same as Lara is a video game character and the movie should ideally be based on how the games defined her.